Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is looking to appoint a Clinical Fellow within the Department of ENT, to work at our Bedford Hospital site on a fixed term contract for 4 months. (October 23-Feb 24)
This is a Clinical Fellow post and therefore does not have recognised training approval. However, every effort will be made to provide teaching and training according to the post-holder's needs. Development of junior doctor's knowledge, clinical skills and surgical experience is a high priority and is individually encouraged.
The successful candidates will be able to discuss their career aims and progression with the clinical supervisor and the Educational supervisor. They will be encouraged to keep a record of their competencies and training and encouraged to apply for entry to formal Core or Specialty Training Program (as appropriate).Main duties of the job
Main duties of the role:
- Daily Ward Round
- Ward Care of Acute Admissions
- Exposure to Theatre
- Pre-Op and Post-Op
- Management of Elective ENT Surgery
Successful applicants will work in a dynamic friendly environment. Although the posts are of non-training grade, there would be direct Consultant supervision and an educational programme including annual appraisal, 4-monthly supervisor meetings, study leave and a study leave budget. There will be a specific programme of protected teaching and a wide range of other clinical training activities.
The successful candidate will be part of the ENT on-call rota, 1:5 daytime weekday, 08:00 to 20:30 and 1:6 weekend on-call 08:00 to 20:30. They would also participate in the surgical night on-call rota, 20:00 to 08:30 at a rate of 1:19.
The successful applicant should expect from time to time to fit in with alterations in circumstances, such as staffing (sickness, injury and similar), introduction of new services, expansion or reduction of existing services and implementation and review of Annual Programmes. In addition the successful candidate may be required to change the clinical activity within a clinical session at short notice at the request of the Clinical Lead / Service Manager. The successful applicant may also be required to undertake occasional duties at other hospitals and health premises within the area. The candidate is required to be flexible and may be asked to change activities at short notice.About us
Our Trust provides hospital services to a growing population of around 700,000 people living across Bedfordshire and the surrounding areas across two busy hospital sites in Bedford and Luton. Travel between hospital sites may be required.
We have state-of-the art facilities placing us at the heart of cutting edge health care. The Trust continues to be committed to delivering the best patient care using the best clinical knowledge and technology available.
Please note that vacancies may close prior to the advertised closing date when sufficient number of applications have been received. Please ensure that you make your application as soon as possible.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
The successful candidate will work as part of a multidisciplinary team comprising of both senior and junior ENT staff, nurses and other allied health professionals. Duties will normally be comparable to those undertaken by a core surgical trainee (CT1/2). However, in exceptional cases you may be required to vary these at the direction of the Supervising Consultant.
DUTIES OF THE POST Routine and emergency patients must been seen and admitted expeditiously. Regular daily morning ward rounds and other ward rounds and visits to individual patients as may be necessary. Keeping such clinical records as may be required. These must be dated, named clearly and signed, and made at least daily for all inpatients. Other related administrative duties including Discharge and Clinic Letters. Duties in occasional emergencies and unforeseen circumstances at the request of the appropriate Consultant(s), in consultation where possible with colleagues both senior and junior. Additional commitments arising under this paragraph are exceptional. In particular, the doctor will not be required to undertake work of this kind for prolonged periods or on a regular basis. To agree to read and follow any protocols of medical cover laid down (either in writing or verbally) for the department. In case of any difficulties ensure that advice is sought from a senior colleague. Person SpecificationRegistrationEssential
- Full registration with the GMC and a licence to practice at time of appointment.
- MBBS, MBChB or equivalent medical qualification.
- MRCS or equivalent postgraduate qualification in ENT
- Good clinical care and good previous experience in ENT
- Ability to take responsibility and work independently
- Maintaining good medical practice
- Good relationship with patients
- Good working relationships with colleagues
- Delivery of good acute clinical care
- Ability to make clear accurate medical notes
- Evidence of substantial experience at senior trainee.
- Track record of peer reviewed circulars and publications
- All applicants to have demonstrable skills in listening, written and spoken English that are adequate to enable effective communication about medical topics with patients and colleagues.
- Acute care safe: up to date Basic Life Support (or equivalent)
- Relevant specialty clinical knowledge: capacity to apply sound clinic knowledge relevant to the job with high level of independence.
- Clinical judgement: experience in making clinical decisions and managing risk with high level of independence.
- Knows when to seek help, able to prioritise clinical need.
- Practical skills: shows aptitude for practical skills required in the job with high level of independence.
- Proven ability to work effectively in different clinical settings required in the job.
Academic / Research skillsEssential
- Evidence of training in both Paediatric and Adult Life Support skills
- Ability to provide good teaching and training
- Audit: understanding of principles.
- Team worker
- Professional Attitude
- Good organisation & time management skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with patients, patient relatives, GP's, nurses and administration staff
- Ability to function effectively under pressure
- Computer literate
- At least 4 months experience in ENT
Employer detailsEmployer name
- To be open and honest and act with integrity
Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
South Wing, Kempston Road
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.
416 - JNR068