An exciting opportunity has arisen for an enthusiastic, proactive registered nurse with experience in Epilepsy or Neurology to join the established Epilepsy Senior Nurse Neurology at GRH. This is a permanent (37.5) Band 6 post.
The neurology team based at Gloucestershire Royal Hospital provides a patient-centred service to those with acute and chronic neurological illness, in both inpatient and outpatient settings.
You will be expected to exercise a high degree of professional autonomy and to make critical judgments using specialist knowledge. You will have responsibility for assessing patients and subsequently devising, implementing and assessing an individual's comprehensive epilepsy care plan.
The post holder will need to possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills and is required to work closely with the epilepsy nursing team, consultant neurologists and health colleagues within primary and secondary care, social care and voluntary agencies, contributing to and implementing care for people with epilepsy.
A background in neurology and/or neurosurgery is essential. Whilst epilepsy experience is desirable, training, support and development will be provided to the appropriate candidate who can demonstrate the motivation, interest and drive to deliver a high level of specialist intervention and care to patients with epilepsy and those that support them.Main duties of the job
We have an opportunity for a nurse to join our well established Neurology as a Epilepsy Specialist Practitioner. We welcome applications from both nurses and therapists who wish to develop their leadership, clinical management and prescribing skills. You will be part of an innovative, multidisciplinary team supporting patients and their families across Gloucestershire. If you are looking to develop your specialist skills, we would like to meet you!
It is an exciting time to join us and contribute to the development of our excellent service. You will be involved in the direct clinical management of patients through outpatient clinics, inpatient reviews, telephone consultations and community visiting. You will be able to use and develop your clinical leadership skills through service pathway innovations that will lead to real quality improvements for this patient group.
You will possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills. You will be able to demonstrate your experience in management of patients with chronic and progressive conditions. You will be confident and competent, possessing a comprehensive portfolio of personal development. If you want to make a real difference, have a can do attitude and you are quality focused, enthusiastic, highly motivated and ready for a challenge then we want to hear from you.About us
Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is the largest employer in the county and with over 8,000 staff, we are one of the largest NHS trusts in the UK. We offer a generous annual leave allowance and access to the NHS Pension Scheme as well as discounts for local shops, restaurants and services. All staff employed within the Trust are able to access to our health and well-being hub, there are two well established on-site nurseries, flexible working options, discounted public transport, reward and recognition schemes, exercise and activity classes and membership to our popular hospital choir.
Our vision is for Best care For Everyone.
Our purpose is to improve the health, wellbeing and experience of the people we serve by delivering outstanding care every day. Offer our staff a wide variety of training and development opportunities, to support their personal and career development objectives.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Please refer to the attached job description and person specification for full details of responsibilities
To plan, implement and evaluate program of individualised care for people with Epilepsy within own caseload, ensuring preventative and proactive actions to reduce the need for or prevent hospital admission under the supervision of the Nurse Specialist. To be professionally and legally accountable for all aspects of own work including efficient and effective management of caseload with regard to clinical priorities and use of time. To communicate effectively and work collaboratively with multidisciplinary teams to ensure a co-ordinated service. This will include representing the Epilepsy Team at service meetings, case conferences, prevention of admission and discharge planning. To follow the service user and their carers throughout the stages of the condition from diagnosis through to palliative care stages working in an integrated way across health and social care pathways. To utilise non-medical prescribing skills for the benefit of service users and be willing to undertake the Non-medical Prescribing training. To manage clinics and waiting lists for the assigned clinic areas. To ensure electronic care records are entered onto system one in a timely manner and are of a high standard in accordance with professional and trust polices. The post holder must adhere to the Trust risk assessment and risk management processes. The post holder must adhere to infection control policies and procedures. The post holder must be registered and professional registration must be maintained with the NMC. Provide patients and their families /carers with information on standards they should expect from the team. The post holder is required to participate in relevant emergency preparedness process for their team. The post holder must ensure that the clinical standards or guidelines for their area of work are followed and to have a good working knowledge of national and local standards for their area of specialty, monitoring own and others quality of practice as appropriate. To be responsible for the safe and competent use of specific equipment relating to Epilepsy treatment by service users under your care and by junior staff and assistants through teaching, training and practice. You may be asked to support other specialty service such as PD, MND, MS, and Epilepsy team when required.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Registered Adult/Child Nurse on the NMC Register.Evidence of post registration CPD / Post registration qualification in ( appropriate area of speciality or professional knowledge supplemented by specialist experience and short courses to degree / masters level equivalent FHEQ Level 6 /7
- Act as a specialist clinical expert in direct contact care, able to make high level skills decisions, informed by advanced diagnostic, assessment and treatment skills
- Experience of research-based practice, and quality improvement through audit or willingness to take.
- ENB 998 or equivalent and evidence of continuing professional.
- Registered non-medical prescriber with experience of delivering prescribed medical treatments for people with PD or other neurological conditions.
- Extensive experience of working with people who have epilepsy and/or other neurological conditions. Clinical experience in managing neurological conditions and associated medical complications
- Experienced in communicating clinically relevant information to specific members of the patient's health care
- Experienced provider of expert advice to patients and health and social care professionals.
Knowledge / SkillsEssential
- Experience of developing advanced practice guidelines, governance and audit.
- Experience of leading care planning and best interest meetings.
- Development in professional and management procedures within own area and across several related disciplines relevant to service area.
- Excellent communication skills with MDT members, patients and their families and the Ability to organise and prioritise own workload effectively
- Clinical experience in managing neurological conditions and associated medical complications.
- Ability to utilise information from databases and computer-based systems in order to evaluate and develop the quality and efficacy of service delivery.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Understand legislation in relation to People with Learning Disabilities.
Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Great Western Road
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.