Are you looking for a new challenge and would like to work in a specialist hospital? If you have a passion for orthopaedics, oncology or physical rehabilitation, and put your practical problem solving skills to the test to work with a rewarding group of patients, then this is the job for you.
We have an exciting opportunity for you to join the Occupational Therapy department at Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital. This role would be within the well established orthopaedic oncology team to provide tailored, individualised care to patients with complex conditions including sarcoma, metastatic cancer including metastatic spinal cord compression. This role is ideally suited to an existing or emerging band 6 occupational therapist.
We are dedicated to support staff members upskill in both clinical and non clinical areas of practice. You will have excellent development opportunities in both clinical and non clinical areas of practice. You will be well supported by your clinical and professional Occupational Therapist supervisor, access to CPD opportunities, as well as leadership support if you are an emerging band 6 occupational therapist.Main duties of the job
- To provide a comprehensive Occupational Therapy service for clients with a wide variety of complex and multiple disabilities within the specialities of sarcoma and Oncology To independently assess and treat patients from pre-assessment stage, through the acute post-operative phase of inpatient care, including short stay patients, in-patient rehabilitation/ out-patient rehabilitation.
- This post will be part of weekend Occupational Therapy service supporting discharges from the in-patients wards.
- To work alongside OT & PT colleagues in the sarcoma service for clients with a wide variety of complex and multiple disabilities within the speciality.
- To assess and treat highly complex patients in this clinical unit (with support where needed) and contribute to service development and learning culture within team/department and students.
- To deputise for the Band 7 Team Lead Occupational Therapist in their absence as appropriate including administrative, managerial and clinical tasks.
The Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital is a tertiary referral centre and the largest of 5 national centres specialising in the management of bone and soft tissue cancers in the United Kingdom.
You will join a team of 5 Physiotherapists,3 Occupational Therapists and a therapy technician who manage an orthopaedic oncology caseload across in-patients, out-patient services rehabilitation programmes. The in-patients ward is based in the new Stanmore Building block with excellent assessment and rehabilitation facilities for the patients. You will be assisting the Band 7 OT with the day to day running of the in-patients service and provide line management support for band 5,Band 3 staff members and students. For your professional development, you will be supported by a band 7 Occupational Therapist and the Clinical Specialist Therapy Team Lead to develop your clinical, managerial and service improvement skills, as well as having access to senior occupational therapy and physiotherapy colleagues within the wider therapies department.
There is a clinical researcher who is affiliated with the orthopaedic oncology team which allows great opportunities for you to participate in a research/quality improvement projects. In addition, the wider Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital therapy department has a well established research and education focus.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Please see the attached Job Description and Person specification for more information on the role requirements and duties.
For more information, please contact Supriya Nerlekar , Therapy Services Manager firstname.lastname@example.org or Kate Scanlan Senior Occupational Therapist Ortho. Oncology Team email@example.com We strongly encourage and recommend informal visit to our hospital or informal chat regarding the post
- DipCOT/ Degree in Occupational Therapy
- Member of RCOT or recognised equivalent.
- Registered with HCPC.
- Evidence of relevant CPD.
- Clinical supervisors course.
- Member of relevant Special Section at RCOT
- 3 years minimum post qualification experience, including 6 months relevant clinical experience in field of Orthopaedics and/or Oncology.
- 6 months NHS experience
- Teaching experience
- Supervision experience
- Experience with staff appraisal
- Experience with clinical audit and outcome measures
- 6 months experience as Band 6
- Good written and spoken English
- Report writing
- Able to communicate with a variety of people, especially in emotional distress
- Good organisation of self and time.
- IT skills -to be tested in probationary period
- Sound clinical reasoning and assessment skills
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Wheelchair assessment and seating
- Therapeutic patient handling
- Discharge planning.
- Presentation skills
Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital NHS TrustAddress
Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.