An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the new Financial Accounts team at University Hospitals Sussex NHS Foundation Trust as a Capital Accountant.
The post holder is responsible providing support to Trust managers and staff on capital balance sheet financial control and reporting, and helping maintain monthly balance sheet control reconciliations for the fixed asset part of the ledger.
Another key task is entering new capital assets into the fixed asset system & maintaining the fixed asset system for any changes to assets, such as disposals or revaluations and reconciling with the Ledger
Assist in the preparation of year end audit working papers and audit queries for the Trust.
We offer the opportunity for a hybrid work pattern based on 3 days office based (at our Chichester or Brighton site) and 2 days working from home.Main duties of the job
This post will:
- Support the provision of relevant financial analysis and reporting in relation to expenditure on the Trust's Capital Programme, including specific projects, leased assets, and equipment.
- Ensure that expenditure is correctly treated in respect of capital/revenue allocations and that all relevant accounting policies are followed.
- Ensure that appropriate financial systems and controls are in place to support the accurate reporting of the Trust's financial position in relation to capital assets and also leased assets and equipment.
- Support the development of financial reporting to ensure that this provides accurate, timely and easily understandable information to stakeholders and supports the overall Trust Financial Strategy.
- Support the Trust by building positive relationships with stakeholders, providing accurate and timely financial information, guidance, support and challenge as and when necessary.
- Support the preparation of the annual statutory accounts, and any relevant notes ensuring relevant working papers are in place to ensure audit compliance and assist with the provision and explanation of accounting information to internal and external audit as required.
- Support the provision of appropriate financial information which is prepared for the submission of regulatory returns as required. This will include but not be limited to the monthly NHSE/I and ICS monitoring returns and any other capital returns that are required to be submitted to NHSE/I or DHSC.
Join us atUHSussex, every day is different, you can be the change, better neverstops
AtUHSussexwe're proud to be at the heart of the NHS. As one of theUK's largest acute Trusts, we're a leading example of the excellence, the ambition and the values that have embodied the NHS for over 70 years.
Improving lives:We are a vibrant and inclusive organisation, with hardworking, talented and dedicated individuals, who work together towards a common goal, to always put ourPatient First.Our mission is summed up by our 'where better never stops' motto and no matter the role atUHSussex, you will play a part in driving us forwards and in improving the lives of patients across Sussex.We treat our patients and staff with the same compassion and empathy we expect for ourselves. We're here for them when they need us, and we go above and beyond to meet their needs. This can be seen in ourwellbeing programmefor staff which is extensive and designed to support you when you need itbecausewe know that to look after others we must first look after ourselves.
Build a career with us:As a university trust and a leader in healthcare research, we value learning, teaching and training so that we can be the best that we can be. From the moment you start with us and throughout your career we will help you to grow and develop. We hope that in choosingUHSussexyou are choosing a long and happy career where you will be able to see the difference you make and feel valued for all that youdo.Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesMain Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide advice to non-finance staff on technical financial issues including. budgeting, financial reporting and accounting policies
- Liaise with staff, managers and representatives of external organisations, including auditors, to respond to queries and present information supporting the position in respect of specific financial issues
- Negotiate with and influence managers to ensure business decisions are value for money and commercially sustainable
- Produce accurate and effective financial reports in accordance with monthly and annual reporting cycles
- Develop standard and ad-hoc financial reports using spreadsheet, database and bespoke reporting tools
- Explain and present financial results to senior staff and non-finance managers
- Analyse financial data, financial reports and financial forecasts to identify trends and/or anomalies in the data
- Investigate and resolve queries in relation to financial data
- Contribute to financial planning and budget setting through the development of financial forecasts
- Ensure that financial processes and financial reports reflect changes in financial policy, accounting policies and statutory legislation
- Contribute to the review, development and implementation of financial policies and procedures for the whole Trust
- Deliver finance training to non-finance staff
- Assist in the production of financial reports to agreed timescales.
- Organise own day to day work with support and direction from line manager.
- Use computerised ledger system and Asset Register with other IT systems as appropriate.
- Check financial approvals have been made in accordance with Standing Orders,
- Standing Financial Instructions and the authorised signatory list and forward these to the appropriate officer for approval or refer to line manager as necessary.
- Support the development and implementation of financial/payroll policies and procedures by making suggestions for changes and adapting processes in your own work area.
- Reporting and forecasting the financial position for the Capital Projects run by the Trust
- Maintaining the Fixed Asset Register and reconciling with the Ledger
- Running the Month & Year-End closedowns
- Propose innovations to procedures by making suggestions for changes and adapting processes in your own work area.
Please see Job description and person spec for full details.Person SpecificationPersonal AttributesEssential
Freedom to ActEssential
- Personal presentation must be of a professional standard and to ensure that junior members of the team are also. Physically fit to undertake the duties of the role. Able to travel between sites.
Knowledge and ExperienceEssential
- Ability to work autonomously, liaise and coordinate the Team on a day to day basis and to take appropriate action as necessary. Identify and adhere to best practice. Responsible for own professional actions and have sufficient autonomy for the delivery of the role. Broad occupational policies Works to achieve agreed objectives and is given freedom to do this in own way, working within broad professional policies acts without reference to manager acts as lead specialist in a particular financial area.
Communication and InterpersonalEssential
- Thorough understanding of accounting principles o Accruals and provisions o Costing o Variance Analysis and forecasting o Budgeting and financial planning Understand the relationship between the Balance Sheet, I& E and Cashflow. The principles of Standing Financial Instructions Specialist knowledge across work procedures underpinned by theory
Analytical and JudgementalEssential
- Experience effectively communicating complex financial information to non-finance managers Confidence presenting financial information to a senior audience Ability to coach budget holders Professional telephone manner
Planning and OrganisationalEssential
- Analyses financial data. Analyses, investigates and resolves financial queries and discrepancies/ complex financial queries and discrepancies Complex facts or situations requiring analysis, interpretation, comparison of a range of options
Experience and QualificationsEssential
- Discuss financial queries with staff, suppliers, customers, which are often complex, including reasons for delays in payment and other sensitive issues discusses financial issues with customers, which may be contentious provides advice on complex financial and corporate issues to non- financial managers negotiates with NHS, external organisations over cost, service issues
- Commitment to Continuing Professional Development to the level required of a Professional Accountancy Body Educated to at least NVQ Level 5 AAT Member.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Studying for CCAB accountancy qualifications
University Hospitals Sussex NHS Foundation Trust (279)Address
St Richards Hospital, Worthing Hospital or Royal Sussex County Hospital
Chichester, Worthing or Brighton
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.