This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced sexual health nurse to further develop leadership, management and clinical skills at the Mortimer Market Centre.
The Mortimer Market Centre is a large Integrated Sexual Health service in Camden, providing care to a diverse group of patients including a high proportion of men who have sex with men. We also provide complex contraception care through the Margaret Pyke Centre.
The post holder, with the other Charge Nurse, will lead and line manage a team of nurses and healthcare support workers. They will work with the Service Manger and the MDT to ensure we provide high quality cost effective care.
This is an exciting time to be a Charge Nurse at Mortimer Market Centre, we have recently lead on a strong response to the mpox outbreak and are continuing to develop the delivery of our robust PrEP service. We are also committed to continually improving access to sexual health and contraceptive care.Main duties of the job
Manage and lead the nursing team and healthcare support workers (HCSWs) within the clinic, ensuring the team receive adequate support and development
Act as a role model, assessor and mentor for the nursing team, inspiring staff and students with their vision and values
Facilitate the development of policy, guidelines, care pathways and patient group directions
Provide high quality, specialist Sexual Health care that is based on clear, clinical evidence, as part of the MDT and autonomously
Please refer to the job description for further details on dutiesAbout us
The CNWL Sexual Health Service covers Camden, Islington, Barnet, Haringey and Surrey. We are a progressive and supportive multidisciplinary team keen to develop our staff and the services offered to our patients.
As an NHS Trust we strongly encourage and support vaccination as this remains the best way to protect yourself, your family, your colleagues and of course patients and service users when working on our healthcare settingsJob descriptionJob responsibilitiesMain duties and responsibilities
Leadership and Management.
- To manage and lead the nursing team and healthcare support workers (HCSWs) within the clinic, ensuring the team receive adequate support and development
- Perform appraisal and performance review enabling nursing team to strengthen their own practice
- To ensure that mandatory training is completed for your reports
- To ensure the provision of clinical supervision for all nursing staff and HCSWs in the team
- To utilise management supervision offered by the Service Manager
- To continue to develop the nurses role and nursing contribution toward the improvement in patient care pathways and service provision
- To continue to develop the Health Care Support Worker role
- Reviews work performance and progress of nursing team
- Manage performance and sickness within the team including processes with Human Resources Team
- Acts as role model, assessor and mentor for the nursing team, inspiring staff and students with their vision and values
- Facilitates the development of policy, guidelines, care pathways and patient group directions.
- Participates in the retention and recruitment of staff and contributes to the implementation of organisational change
- Assists in increasing value for money, budget monitoring, and is an authorised signatory for stock, invoices, study leave forms and time sheets
- To attend meetings regarding the development of the service as required
- To take part in chairing team meetings and team forums
- To help in the organisation of the nurses education and training
- To work in collaboration with leads from other CNWL sites to promotion ideas sharing and improve ways of workingContributes to the business plan and Identifies areas where resources can be used more effectively.
- To report incidents as per Trust guideline
- Take a lead with the other managers in investigation of incidents and ensure learning occurs as appropriate to the wider team/s
- Take a lead in preparing the evidence and feedback required to demonstrate the services progress in the Key Lines of Enquiry (KLOEs)
- Assist the Service Manager & Lead Clinician for Sexual health to implement changes required to improve service delivery , supporting staff through the process of change
- To help develop the role of the apprentice within the Sexual Health setting as necessary
- Ensures that stock and other resources are available and levels are maintained. This includes the ordering and rotation of stock and equipment
Clinical Practice, Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
- Provides high quality, specialist Sexual Health care that is based on clear, clinical evidence, as part of the MDT and autonomously.
- Works unsupervised in the assessment, implementation and evaluation of patient care, including running nurse-led clinics.
- When trained as a nurse independent prescriber/or to utilise PGDs, prescribes/supplies safely where there is a clinical need within her/his sphere of competence.
- To arrange prescription of treatments (not suitable for PGDs or nurse prescribing) and safely administer/supply these
- To provide nurse led consultations for patients attending for Sexual Health and promote LARC methods of contraception.
- Involves clients in assessment and care provision
- Undertakes first assessment, taking an accurate and relevant medical and social history for clients attending sexual health and young peoples services.
- Supports the development and review of care plans, for use by self and team, including clinical risk assessment
- To recognise signs and symptoms of complex and unstable health problems requiring medical review.
- Makes referrals to other agencies for the provision of effective patient care
- Participates in the development and extension of nursing practice within the service to the benefit of patients
- Provides specialist clinical advice to other practitioners and agencies regarding sexual health. Provides telephone advice to patients and colleagues when required.
- Reviews and develops care pathways with staff to ensure continual quality improvement
- To work in line with local and national guidelines and targets.
- To promote sexual health and wellbeing through advice and information giving.
- To contribute to partner notification processes by performing PN according to local policy.
- To maintain clinical electronic patient records (case notes) to a high standard.
- Maintains client confidentiality.
- To perform microscopy according to protocol (as required).
- To assess/Triage patients presenting without an appointment or with urgent problems
- To participate in clinical and educational outreach and participate in health promotion activity, contributing to the development of new services.
- Represents the service at relevant forums, working groups or stakeholder meetings. Representing the service in the absence of the Service Manager.
- Keeps up to date with and prevent cross infection through application of appropriate techniques.
- Identifies the needs of diverse/vulnerable groups and contributes to the development of tailored services to their needs.
- Works to relevant inter-agency guidance and policy, for example: Safeguarding young people and vulnerable adults , FGM and Domestic Abuse
- Participate in clinical and educational outreach and participate in health promotion activity while contributing to the development of new services
- Engages and forms links with relevant stakeholders and professional agencies, providing expert training and advice where appropriate
- Undertakes relevant needs assessments profiles
Professional Development and Accountability
- Recognises and adheres to NMC requirements. Keeps up to date with developments in the field of Sexual Health and is responsible for her/his own Personal Professional Development.
- Participates in regular clinical supervision, identifying problems in clinical practice and service delivery, negotiating any prospective change with managers and other team members.
- Participates and initiates nursing and multidisciplinary team meetings, and is willing to make presentations on issues relating to sexual health both within the department and to outside organisations, at meetings and conferences
- To take part in the development, implementation and evaluation of training programmes of new staff.
- To provide direct clinical teaching, mentorship and supervision to nursing and medical students.
- To attend relevant training and educational departmental meetings.
- To complete mandatory training in line with CNWL Trust policy
- Liaises with local directorates to identify resources for the planning and provision of local training initiatives.
- Participates in and develops audit and research projects and reports outcomes.
- Supports the development and evaluation of policies standards and guidelines
- Adheres to service specific policies ,local and national sexual health strategies directly and indirectly related to patient care
- Promotes best practice and improves practice in health, safety and security and has a responsibility for risk management within the service on a day to day basis
- RGN (NMC Sub-part 1 Adult branch)
- University certificate or equivalent in Sexual Health training
- nDFRSH/University Certificate in Contraception/ Reproductive Health or equivalent recognized training
- LOC SDI or equivalent qualification
- LOC IUD or equivalent qualification /or willingness to train
- Certificate in mentorship course
- Independent Nurse Prescriber /or willingness to train
- Management Qualification or evidence of training in management/leadership e.g. LEO
- Post registration experience.
- Current experience in Sexual Health/HIV
- Previous experience in staff management role
- Experience managing patients clinically and working in nurse-led clinics
- Contemporaryknowledge of STIs,sexual health, contraception
- Contemporary experience of working with Young People In a Sexual Health setting
- Evidence of continuing professional development
- Experience working in a client centred environment
- Experience of delivering evidence based clinical care
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to motivate and lead others
- Ability to support, manage and implement change
Central and North West London NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Mortimer Market Centre
Off Capper Street
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.