The Speech and Language Therapy team at the University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust (UHS) are delighted to be able to offer a fantastic opportunity for a friendly and enthusiastic SLT to join our celebrated Band 6 rotational programme.
UHS offers fantastic training and development giving you the best possible opportunities to achieve the career you want. Development of our staff is central to the delivery of high quality, safe and effective care. We can offer opportunities to develop within a supportive environment.Main duties of the job
Attached you will find the person specification document which provides more detail about the essential and desirable skills and experience needed for this role. We highly recommend you review this document and use it when completing your application as these criteria are used by hiring managers as guidance during shortlisting.
For an overview of the main duties of the role please see the 'Job Description and Main Responsibilities' section below. To understand the day-to-day responsibilities in more detail please read the full job description document attached.About us
As one of the largest acute teaching Trusts in England, we offer learning and development opportunities to help you achieve the career you aspire to. UHS is rated 'Good' by the CQC and in the latest national NHS Staff Survey, we were in the top 10 acute trusts for staff engagement and for staff recommending the hospital as a place to work or receive care.
All non-clinical roles may involve a mixture of on site and remote working, Specific details and flexible working options can be discussed as part of the interview process. UHS employees are able to access a range of NHS discounts, are entitled to a minimum of 35 days paid holiday (pro rata), and we offer a generous pension scheme.
Southampton is an attractive place to live and work situated on the south coast, with an international airport and direct trains to London. The New Forest National Park and beaches of the Jurassic coast are also right on our doorstep. The city offers living costs 20% lower than London and 14 schools rated outstanding by Ofsted.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
You will: Work with in- and out-patients within our Band 6 rotation programme Have the opportunity to attend and contribute to daily MDT board rounds to offer timely SLT input. Provide communication and swallowing assessments and therapy. Have opportunities to represent the SLT service and be innovative in your approach to patient care and service delivery whilst being part of the dynamic MDT developing service initiatives.
We are looking for an HCPC registered SLT who: Is passionate about working with acute patients and their families Is experienced in the assessment and management of acute inpatients presenting with communication and swallowing difficulties Is keen to expand their clinical and non-clinical skills in the range of specialist services we provide Thrives in working in a busy and dynamic team, in a constantly changing environment Values and actively contributes to, strong multi-disciplinary teams Has experience of delivering training to colleagues and other partiesPerson SpecificationTrust ValuesEssential
Qualifications, knowledge and experienceEssential
- Patient First
- Always Improving
- Working Together
- Degree or equivalent in Speech and Language Therapy
- HCPC (Health and Care professions Council) registered speech and language therapist
- Evidence of commitment to relevant ongoing CPD and development in relevant areas
- Evidence of relevant speech and language therapy knowledge and expertise with recent experience demonstrating this
- Ability to communicate complex information fluently, confidently and effectively to a diverse range of people: e.g. with patients, carers, managers and other health care professionals
- Ability to demonstrate a practical and sensitive approach and flexibility in working style when applying clinical judgement to complex clinical issues
- Demonstrate a holistic approach to treatment
- Demonstrate ability to independently plan and prioritise own workload in order to meet deadlines
- Evidence of highly developed auditory and perceptive skills
Skills and competenciesEssential
- Member of Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists (RCSLT) and relevant specialist groups
- Experience mentoring or supervising speech and language therapy assistants or junior staff
- Experience and involvement with speech and language therapy student training
- Experience of audit/project work
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Presentation skills
- Microsoft Office skills
- Keyboard skills
- Numeracy skills
University Hospital Southampton NHS TrustAddress
University Hospital Southampton
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.