This is a new biomedical scientist Quality Management post in Pathology at University Hospitals Birmingham (UHB), one of the largest teaching hospitals in England. We have state of the art facilities across 4 sites (Queen Elizabeth, Heartlands, Good Hope and Solihull hospitals). We provide a patient focused dignified service, committed to Trust values of being Kind, Connected and Bold. This new cross-site role within Cellular Pathology focusses on Human Tissue Authority (HTA) regulatory compliance for Post Mortem and Human Applications. You will be an experienced HCPC registered Biomedical Scientist, familiar with Cellular Pathology and mortuary requirements. You will have evidence of quality management competencies in audit and with supporting ISO 15189 compliance (UKAS Accreditation) and Human Tissue Authority (HTA) licensing standards and quality requirements. You will support and embed wider HTA compliance with your line manager, the 8a Cellular Pathology Operational Manager with responsibility for QEHB (HTA Human Applications Licence). You will work closely with the Head Biomedical Scientist and with Cellular Pathology Quality Leads to support wider quality compliance. You will work closely and line manage the Band 6 Mortuary Manager, and drive continuous improvements in operational, training and competency compliance. You will also work closely with specialists in Maternity, Theatres, Portering, Estates, Medical Examiner and Bereavement offices and contractors.Main duties of the job
You will be expected to have or develop an excellent understanding of mortuary data, systems, equipment procedures, quality systems, and HTA standards/ISO requirements. This will be needed to:
* Undertake audits within mortuary and Tissue Services and actively manage and contribute to the resolution of any non-conformances.
* Ensure traceability of human tissues, use of quality management systems, data collating and audits in order to meet requirements of regulatory compliance.
* Manage the Mortuary Manager and lead on meetings staff communications.
* Ensure Mortuary team training and competency records are robust and in date.
* Support, develop and maintain compliance to all relevant HTA licensing regulations and ISO15189 accreditation standards.
* Report on Mortuary compliance and act upon any non-conformities and corrective/preventative actions in a timely way.
Please note you will not be expected to be operationally active within the mortuary
These Questions must be answered within your application:
* Briefly describe your quality competencies including audit and any specialist quality management training, experience and qualifications held.
* Describe your own involvement with UKAS, ISO15189 and HTA compliance.
* Describe your experience in validation or change control.
Note: A Learning Contract to complete a L7 qualification may be considered for successful candidates who evidence suitable competencies but do not yet hold a suitable qualification.About us
We are recognised as one of the leading NHS Foundation Trusts in the UK. Our vision is to Build Healthier Lives, and we recognise that we need incredible staff to do this.
Our commitment to our staff is to create the best place for them to work, and we are dedicated to:
Investing in the health and wellbeing of our staff, including a commitment of offering flexible working where we can Offer our staff a wide variety of training and development opportunities, to support their personal and career development objectives.
UHB is committed to ensuring that our staff are treated fairly and feel that they belong, by creating a kind and inclusive environment. This is about equity of opportunity removing all barriers, including discrimination and ensuring each individual member of staff reach their true potential, achieve their ambitions and thrive in their work. This is more than words. We are taking action. Our commitment to an inclusive culture is embedded at all levels of the organisation where every voice is heard, driven by our diverse and active staff networks, and at Board level by the Fairness Taskforce led by our CEO. We nurture a culture which empowers staff to challenge discriminatory behaviours and to enable people to bring their 'whole self' to a kinder, more connected and bold place to work.
University Hospitals Birmingham is a Smoke-Free premises hospital.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
*Please Note : For a detailed job description for this vacancy, please see attached Job Description*Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- * State registration with Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- * MSc, Equivalent academic achievement ratified by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) OR Equivalent Level 7 Post Graduate Certification or Diploma
- * Evidence of continuing professional development and proficiency in accordance with HCPC guidelines.
- * Post registration specialty training in accordance with Institute of Biomedical Sciences (IBMS) guidelines
- * Evidence of continuing professional development and discipline specific proficiency for HCPC registration.
- * Demonstrate experience at BMS Band 6 post in a specific discipline. A specialised knowledge of:
- * Fault finding and trouble shooting.
- * Quality control and assurance practices.
- * Laboratory health and safety.
- * Laboratory accreditation standards.
- * HCPC and IBMS professional standards, ethics and proficiencies.
- * Evidence of supervisory role or experience
- * Understanding of accreditation within labs (e.g. ISO 15189, MHRA)
- * Evidence of HR and Personnel experience
- * Numerate and able to undertake scientific calculations with and without the use of aides.
- * Ability to work in and lead a team.
- * Manage workload effectively when the workload is unpredictable and there are competing demands (medical emergency).
- * Manual dexterity to undertake highly specialised techniques.
- * Effective and accurate keyboard and mouse skills.
- * Effective communication skills both written and oral
- * Effective interpersonal and motivational skills
- * Demonstrate logical thought processes and the ability to solve problems and plan remedial action
- * Demonstrate good organisational, planning and time management skills
- * Ability to influence and negotiate with all grades of staff.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- * To show how they have introduced a change to improve a service
- * Evidence of project management
University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.