- A newly Qualified (or soon to be) Occupational Therapist who is passionate about high quality care?
- Or an experienced Band 5 OT yearning to develop existing skills in a diverse but supportive area?
- Driven, flexible and highly motivated individual who can adapt to a unique environment (secure mental health unit).
If any or a combination of these statements define you, then this may be the right role for you.... A fantastic opportunity has emerged for an enthusiastic Band 5 Occupational Therapist to join our forward-thinking and dynamic inpatient team at the North London Forensic Service (NLFS). Main duties of the jobThe role:
- Is based on a forensic inpatient ward at the NLFS, Chase Farm Hospital, Enfield.
- Working on an adult male medium / low secure working with a designated case load of patients. Providing OT assessment and intervention to patients detained under The Mental Health Act, 1983 (amended 2007), many of whom suffer from a severe and enduring mental illness and have a history of offending behaviour.
- Working alongside a robust multi-disciplinary team including Psychology, Speech and Language Therapy, Dual Diagnoses, Employment Advisors, Peer Workers and Experts by Experience (EbE's)
- Liaising with internal and external services, e.g., community mental health / OT teams to support and prepare for discharge from hospital, EBE's, vocational and educational services, housing etc.
- The OT role focusses on functional daily living skills, establishing structured routines and managing specific mental health and risk issues.
- Working with a Band 4 Technical Instructor (TI) to deliver 1:1 session and a group programme to meet individual needs.
- Supported by Band 6 and Band 6 OTs.
- The role will include the assessment, treatment and evaluation of clinical interventions, carrying out functional assessments and contributing to multidisciplinary team care planning and risk assessment verbally and through written documentation.
Full job description and person specification available as PDFAbout usThe OT team:
Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesThe service:
- You will be working alongside a large team of OTs (Band 7's, Band 6's and Band 4 TI). Supervision structure to support ongoing learning and career development.
- The team has a wealth of experience and opportunities to share to aid learning and development. We offer a robust induction programme including preceptorship (if applicable), many training opportunities in house and externally and frequent robust supervision.
- Each OT is allocated to a specific case load / ward alongside a TI and overseen by Band 6 / Band 7 OT's.
The NLFS provides comprehensive mental health rehabilitation to a mainly male adult population within medium and low security for service users who present with complex mental health needs and a forensic / offending history.
The patients are individuals with diverse needs and presentations, often with psychotic symptoms, secondary diagnosis of personality disorder and can exhibit aggressive behaviour and poor insight. In addition, the post holder will work closely with the Multi-Disciplinary Team and relevant outside agencies to provide a quality service, which is responsive to clients needs. The trust:
BEH MH NHS trust is a forward thinking and dynamic NHS Trust with a genuine commitment to staff development. This exciting, challenging and rewarding opportunity will enable you to join the friendly and expanding team ensuring the delivery of dignified and compassionate care to service users and obtaining high quality training.Person SpecificationEDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONSEssential
EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGEEssential
- Dip. COT or BSc OT & Registered with HCPC
SKILLS AND ABILITIESEssential
- Experience of group work
- Experience of working in an MDT
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Effective written communication skills to includes reports, assessments, supervision
- Ability to apply and develop core OT Skills
- Post graduate clinical experience in forensic Mental Health and a demonstrated ability to understand clinical needs of the forensic client group
Barnet, Enfield & Haringey Mental Health NHS TrustAddress
NLFS, Chase Farm Site
127 The Ridgeway
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.