An exciting senior opportunity has arisen for an Associate Director of Operations, Flow & Facilities to join our dynamic leadership team at University Hospital Dorset (UHD).
This is a fantastic time to join our hospitals at a time of significant transformation as we prepare to deliver the Dorset future vision for emergency and planned healthcare in our new hospital facilities.
The post holder will be accountable to the Deputy Chief Operating Officer for the day-to-day operational management of both acute hospital sites (Poole and The Royal Bournemouth). This includes operational flow, capacity planning, the delivery of the national access standards (particularly relating to urgent care) and Facilities management across all of the Trust sites.
It is essential that you are a team player, have excellent people and leadership skills and the credibility and ability to work with and influence effectively in partnership with clinical leaders.
This is a full-time post working 37.5 hours per week and a requirement to be part of the out of hours on-call manager rota (c1:15) Base Location: Royal Bournemouth or Poole Hospital Closing date: 29th September 2023 Interview date: 11th October 2023 (provisional)Main duties of the job
This role is key to overseeing the Trust's bed capacity planning and, in conjunction with other members of the senior team, the winter/seasonal operational capacity planning. Furthermore, they work closely with our Care Group and Corporate teams to support patient flow across our hospitals and to support 'back door' flow, supported by external partnership working.
UHD is seeking a highly motivated, experienced and inspirational leader who is delivery focused with excellent communication, negotiating and analytical skills, as well as able to coordinate an urgent and immediate response to operational pressures. Candidates should be able to demonstrate that they meet the essential criteria for the role including evidence of masters level or long term equivalent experience at senior management level. They should also have extensive senior management NHS experience and a thorough understanding of operational services and patient flow.About us
Our values define who we are as #TeamUHD. They underpin everything we do now and in the future. They define how we treat our patients, visitors, and each other, our valued team mates and colleagues.
UHD are investing in services across the Trust, with many being transformed and developed following merger and the New Hospital Programme.
In some cases this means that a services may move site this year or next, either temporarily or long term. Recruiting Managers interviewing for this role will be happy to answer any specific questions that you have at interview.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
To understand the role in more detail please read the full job description and person specification documents which are attached to this advert.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Degree/ Masters level qualification in a relevant area to this role or equivalent level of experience in related field
- A higher degree at Masters level or long term equivalent experience at senior management level
- Evidence of regular and up to date CPD
- Must have an in-depth senior and professional specialist knowledge where applicable across a number of disciplines (HR, Finance, Planning, Facilities / Estates, Patient Flow) acquired through training and experience over a significant period
- Experience of project and Programme management and knowledge of techniques and tools such as Prince 2 or Managing Successful Projects
Technical Skills CompetenciesEssential
- Professional qualification in a relevant area at Chartered level or equivalent
- Continuity planning and/or Disaster Management Training and qualification
- NEBOSH or Equivalent Health and Safety Qualification
- Relevant Clinical Qualifications
- Advance IT knowledge in Microsoft Office and spread sheets and a range of programmes
- A critical strength will be the ability to project at all times the presence and gravitas necessary for a senior role
- Able to represent the Trust in relevant senior meetings at a regional and if required, national level
- High level of analytical skills and the ability to draw qualitative and quantitative data from a wide range of sources and present in clear concise manner
- Experience in demand and capacity planning and/or models
- Extensive senior management experience of working in an Acute NHS Hospital
- Extensive senior management NHS experience and knowledge in a role of direct accountability for Operational services and Patient Flow, with some knowledge and experience in managing Facilities Services within a large acute NHS Health organisation
- Extensive knowledge of directly running a large scale operational support service function e.g. Facilities
- Extensive experience of direct accountability for managing other integrated Facilities Management functions, i.e : Hard and Soft Facilities
- Good working knowledge of Clinical Governance and patient quality initiatives
- Current experience and knowledge of health policy and national priorities within the relevant area.
- Knowledge and experience of developments in healthcare, including patient safety, improvement programmes and patient flows and discharge
- The ability to manage difficult workforce issues and deal with complex employee relations
- Ability to rapidly understand the critical issues and be able to articulate key information to others with the minimum of senior overview
- In depth expert knowledge acquired over a significant period of time in managing operational risks
- Must have an understanding of the background to and aims of current healthcare policy and appreciate the implication of this on engagement
- Evidence of leading successful teams
- Evidence of implementing changes in improving patient care
- Evidence of understanding the issues related to patient flow at the front and back 'doors', as well as through, a large acute hospital Trust
Other requirements specific to the roleEssential
- In depth expert knowledge acquired over a significant period of time in managing - The risks and threats that face the NHS Facilities and Estate - Emergency and continuity planning for operational and Facilities services
- Good management communication, analytical and negotiation skills
- Able to represent the Trust in relevant senior meetings including at a regional and national level
- Leadership, vision, strategic thinking and planning with highly developed political skills
- Evidence of meeting deadlines
- Ability to travel across multiple sites in a timely manner, when required
- Ability to work on own imitative and organise workload allocating work as necessary working to tight and often changing deadlines
- Ability to make decision autonomously, when required, on difficult issues, Autonomy to undertake actions as a result of own interpretation on policy and guidance providing a source of expert advice to the organisation
- Demonstrate at all time the values and behaviours of the Trust
- Self-awareness in teams of emotional intelligence, biases and personal triggers with cultural sensitivity and awareness
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Be able to speak English as necessary to undertake the role
University Hospitals Dorset NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Royal Bournemouth Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.