We are seeking a Consultant Addiction Psychiatrist to join the Acer inpatient detoxification unit in Bristol and to provide medical support to Dorset Specialist Drug and Alcohol Services (SDAS) and the Specialised Southwest Gambling Harms Service. This substantive post has become vacant due to the current incumbent retiring.
It is an exciting and innovative post and has been developed to extend the medical support offered by the service, which is developing rapidly in response to national and local treatment strategies with the aim of providing more seamless addiction treatment and support.
The Acer unit is an NHS addictions inpatient detox and stabilization unit based on the Southmead Hospital site in Bristol. There are 5 beds currently commissioned by Public Health Bristol.
The Dorset community SDAS team is part of the wider drug and alcohol system commissioned by Public Health Dorset and is responsible for the specialist prescribing element of drug and alcohol treatment.
AWP have recently been commissioned to develop a new Specialised Southwest Gambling Harms Service to provide support and treatment for people who want help with their gambling. This service will offer specialist psychological interventions that will be trauma informed and provided by both NHS and voluntary sector partners.Main duties of the job
WP Specialist Drug and Alcohol Services aim to provide high quality treatment that will enable service users to make positive changes and re-integrate within their local communities for long term recovery.
The successful candidate will work within a multi-disciplinary team to provide clinical leadership and senior medical support to services, which are developing rapidly in response to national and local treatment strategies.
This will include involvement in ward rounds and MDTs as well as providing clinical supervision to other doctors and non-medical prescribers. In the Gambling Harms Service this will involve providing consultative medical input to support the clinical psychologists, which would be an innovative role and key to developing and implementing the service.
You should demonstrate enthusiasm and excellent communication skills and show you can work collaboratively in a team.About usWe are AWP (Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust)
a diverse organisation with over 5,000 dedicated staff providing inpatient and community-based mental health care. We provide services from a range of locations to approximately 1.8 million people living in Bath and North East Somerset (B& NES), Bristol, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Swindon, across the county of Wiltshire and in parts of Dorset.
Our outstanding people promote mental health and wellbeing. The expertise and resources within AWP are dedicated to a person-centred approach for those who use our services and for all employees. We recognise that happy and fulfilled employees give better care. Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Please refer to the accompanying job description for full details on the roles and responsibilities of this post. Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- MB BS or equivalent medical qualification
- Relevant Higher Degree e.g MD,PHD,Msc or other additional clinical qualifications
- MRCPsych OR MRCPsych equivalent approved by the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
- Fully registered with the GMC with a licence to practise at the time of appointment
- Approved clinician status OR able to achieve within 3 months of appointment
- Approved under S12 OR able to achieve with 3 months of appointment
- CCT in General Adult Psychiatry
- Experience of assessing and treating patients in an addiction setting.
- To possess leadership skills and be able to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to manage own time, workload and prioritise clinical work
- Able to demonstrate excellent communication skills, in order to effectively work with patients, carers and staff.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to assess and treat psychiatric problems in persons with addictive disorders and to deal with crisis situations
- Understanding of the management skills required to function successfully as a Consultant.
- Awareness of current issues in mental health service provision, policy and legislation.
- Knowledge of alternatives to inpatient admission care approaches.
Research and AuditEssential
- Commitment to and experience of undergraduate and postgraduate learning and teaching.
- Understand principles of teaching.
- Experience or involvement in a research project and publication.
- Experience of carrying out an audit project.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Evidence of management/leadership skills training.
Avon & Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS TrustAddress
Acer Unit, Southmead Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.