At University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust (UHL), we believe that communications and engagement excellence makes a difference for patients, colleagues, and communities.
As Head of Communications and Engagement (Channel, Content and Media) you will establish and lead a communications delivery service to strengthen our overall strategic communications. Leading a team of ten, you will have an exciting 12 months ahead with a new intranet, website and corporate brand identity roll-out planned. You will take the lead on ensuring UHL's content, channel infrastructure and external relationships support the delivery of a first-class service to our audiences.
You will contribute to the overall success of the department by ensuring an integrated and effective service. You will be responsible for growing our channel reach and devising compelling content that brings the story of our Trust to life. You will also oversee a dynamic media and public relations function, thriving on pace and working with a range of partners to tell the UHL story in new and innovative ways. A compassionate leader, you will contribute to a creative and inclusive team environment where everyone is able to bring their best selves to work.
This is an exciting opportunity to join us and shape the future. If you are passionate about making a difference in communications, we can promise you variety, development, flexibility, a supportive team atmosphere and the opportunity to do your best work.Main duties of the jobKEY RESULT AREAS
- Establish a successful new communications delivery service which strengthens UHL's overall strategic communications offer
- Develop the organisation's understanding of public audience insight and provide analysis of audience perceptions and issues to inform the Trust in its strategic direction and decision-making.
- Oversee our approach to creative and compelling content creation and curation, incorporating multimedia and storytelling approaches for increased impact.
- Working with the Deputy Director and Director, design, iterate and implement an effective digital communication and channel strategy for the organisation, encompassing new and existing channels, external and internal.
- Develop and oversee the Trust's media and public relations strategy, working with the External Affairs Manager to establish priorities and build strong working relationships with journalists and opinion formers.
- Plan for, advise and support the use of external communications channels in the event of a crisis
- Develop trusted relationships with key clients across the organisation ensuring communications approaches are impactful and credible, and that key relationships are maintained and strengthened.
- Line management responsibility for the team, supporting their professional development and training.
- Ensure all communications and engagement work is inclusive, putting specific arrangements in place to engage with those groups and/or individuals that are seldom heard or marginalised.
We are one of the biggest and busiest NHS trusts in the country, incorporating the General, Glenfield and Royal Infirmary hospitals. We have our very own Children's Hospital and run one of the country's leading heart centres.
Our team is made up of more than 18,000 staff providing a range of services primarily for the one million residents of Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland.
We work with partners at the University of Leicester and De Montfort University providing world-class teaching to nurture and develop the next generation of doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals, many of whom go on to spend their working lives with us.
Our purpose is to provide 'Caring at its best' and our staff have helped us create a set of values that embody who we are and what we're here to do. They are:
- We focus on what matters most
- We treat others how we would like to be treated
- We are passionate and creative in our work
- We do what we say we are going to do
- We are one team and we are best when we work together
Our patients are at the heart of all we do and we believe that 'Caring at its best' is not just about the treatments and services we provide, but about giving our patients the best possible experience.
About the University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust:
http://www.leicestershospitals.nhs.uk/aboutus/work-for-us/current-vacancies/Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesThe detailed job description and main responsibilities are included as an attachment to this advert.Person SpecificationEquality, Diversity and InclusionEssential
Training and DevelopmentEssential
- Able to demonstrate a commitment to and understanding of the importance of treating all individuals with dignity and respect appropriate to their individual needs.
- Educated to a Masters' level or equivalent level of experience of working at a senior level in specialist area.
- Evidence of continuing professional development.
Other requirements specific to the roleEssential
- Membership of a relevant professional body.
- Evidence of leadership development.
- Postgraduate qualification in communications, or working towards this standard.
Commitment to Trust Values and BehavioursEssential
- Able to travel across the Trust sites and wider region as required.
- Able to participate in the on-call rota and be flexible with hours potentially at short notice.
- Able to demonstrate compatibility with the Trust's values and behaviours.
- Takes pride in their own and team's work.
- Flexible in their attitudes and behaviours to support team working and delivery of objectives.
- Supports learning and development of self and others.
- Specialist knowledge and experience of communications - particularly media relations, social media and digital channel development.
- Successful track record of multi-channel communications delivery in highly dynamic and politically sensitive environments, using forward looks, planners and other systematic methods to ensure deadlines are managed and met.
- Experience of senior communications leadership, overseeing the work of a team.
- Experience of working effectively with the media and external stakeholders.
- Experience of working with senior and board-level executives providing counsel and where appropriate, training.
- Experience of insights, evaluation and metrics reporting to senior audiences. Evidence of leading engaging and impactful content development and channel placement within a complex communications environment - including message-testing.
- Demonstrable experience of crisis and issues management.
- Excellent knowledge of how the communications discipline is evolving in the digital era and an ability to use this intelligence to continually improve what we do.
- Demonstrable ability to manage own workload and make informed decisions in the absence of information, working to tight and often changing timescales.
Communication and relationship skillsEssential
- Experience of producing policy or practice briefings for political audiences,
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Experience of interpreting highly complex, difficult, sensitive and controversial/ contentious information in negotiation with senior stakeholders with whom the post holder will be required to influence.
- Ability to influence and persuade others by articulating a balanced view and providing constructive challenge and feedback.
- Excellent planning and project management skills, alongside IT competence.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and work with staff from across the organisation at all levels.
- Ability to deliver to deadlines through effective time management skills including ability to prioritise work and manage distractions and conflicting demands.
- Ability to analyse issues quickly and make recommendations.
- Confident and able to establish credibility quickly at all levels of the organisation including senior and Trust Board level.
- Experience of using communications packages and ability to change at short notice, ensuring modern technology is utilised in the best way to suit the organisation
- Ability to prepare and produce concise yet insightful communications for dissemination to a broad range of stakeholders as required.
Analytical and Judgement skillsEssential
- Skilled in chairing network and steering group meetings
- Facilitation skills.
- Strong presentational skills.
Planning and organisation skillsEssential
- Proactive, enthusiastic and motivated Strong attention to detail and ability to give constructive feedback to support development of others.
- Personal integrity - evidence of a strongly held commitment to openness, honesty, inclusiveness and high standards in undertaking a leadership role.
- Ability to make decisions autonomously, when required, on difficult issues.
- Able to manage conflict in order to bring about positive outcomes.
- Open to change and possible alternatives to doing things differently.
- Credible, trustworthy and inspires confidence in others.
- Enthusiastic about area of work and achieving results and maintaining a good reputation for the team.
- Conscientious, able and keen to deliver best possible quality at all times.
- Ability to be compassionate, inclusive and accountable, and lead staff, partners and other stakeholders
- Highly organised and efficient.
- Demonstrates a responsive, solution focused approach to addressing issues and barriers.
- Drive for improvement - a deep motivation to improve performance in the health service and make a real difference to health and quality of life for the patients and communities we serve.
- Manages team effectively within the constraints of budget and following good governance
- Ability to work flexibly to meet the needs of the service and work effectively as a team player, demonstrating self-motivation and initiative at all times.
- Demonstrate an understanding of commitment to customer care and quality of service.
- Demonstrate understanding of, and commitment to, equal opportunities as an employee and as a provider of service to the public.
- Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.