At the University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust (UHL), we believe that communications and engagement excellence makes a difference for patients, colleagues, and communities.
As Head of Communications and Engagement (Campaigns) you will be adept in campaign design, planning, and evaluation, and will establish a successful new service within the department, building trusted networks and adding value in areas such as recruitment, transformation, sustainability, and colleague experience. Leading a team of five, you will tell the UHL story in new and innovative ways.
You will develop clear processes and frameworks for impactful campaign communications, incorporating audience insight and analysis, as well as marketing and behavioural-change methodology.
You will contribute to the overall success of the department by ensuring an integrated and effective communications service. In demonstrating results, you will help to drive an improved organisational understanding of what great communications can do, and support colleagues to achieve their objectives. Leading with compassion, you will contribute to a creative and inclusive team environment where everyone is able to bring their best selves to work.
This is an exciting opportunity to join us and shape the future. If you are passionate about making a difference, we can promise you variety, development, flexibility, a supportive team atmosphere and the opportunity to do your best work.Main duties of the jobKEY RESULT AREAS
- Identify priority campaign areas and allocate resource to execute effectively against these, ensuring effective workflow management and integration.
- Design and implement a robust and effective approach to recruitment marketing, aligned to Trust workforce plans, evidencing return on investment and making the case for additional investment as required.
- Develop clear processes for effective campaign communication at UHL, incorporating insights, audience analysis and discovery and design workshops supporting an improved organisational understanding of what great communications can do and raising the capability of colleagues to communicate with impact.
- Develop and oversee the delivery of robust and effective annual campaign plans aligned to the organisation's overall strategy and objectives reporting on impact at key forums.
- Develop trusted relationships with key clients across the organisation ensuring that campaign communication at UHL is impactful and credible
- Work with relevant stakeholders to deliver both short and long-term, planned campaigns that support widespread and/or localised behaviour change, engagement and awareness - for example in use of urgent care and in meeting sustainability goals.
- Ensure all communications and engagement work is inclusive, putting specific arrangements in place to engage with those groups and/or individuals that are seldom heard or marginalised.
We are one of the biggest and busiest NHS trusts in the country, incorporating the General, Glenfield and Royal Infirmary hospitals. We have our very own Children's Hospital and run one of the country's leading heart centres.
Our team is made up of more than 17,000 staff providing a range of services primarily for the one million residents of Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland.
We work with partners at the University of Leicester and De Montfort University providing world-class teaching to nurture and develop the next generation of doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals, many of whom go on to spend their working lives with us.
Our purpose is to provide 'Caring at its best' and our staff have helped us create a set of values that embody who we are and what we're here to do. They are:
- We focus on what matters most
- We treat others how we would like to be treated
- We are passionate and creative in our work
- We do what we say we are going to do
- We are one team and we are best when we work together
Our patients are at the heart of all we do and we believe that 'Caring at its best' is not just about the treatments and services we provide, but about giving our patients the best possible experience.
About the University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust:
http://www.leicestershospitals.nhs.uk/aboutus/work-for-us/current-vacancies/Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesThe detailed job description and main responsibilities are included as an attachment to this advert.Person SpecificationEquality, Diversity and InclusionEssential
Training & QualificationsEssential
- Able to demonstrate a commitment to and understanding of the importance of treating all individuals with dignity and respect appropriate to their individual needs.
- Educated to a Masters' level or equivalent level of experience of working at a senior level in specialist area.
- Evidence of continuing professional development.
Other requirements specific to the roleEssential
- Membership of a relevant professional body.
- Evidence of leadership development.
- Postgraduate qualification in communications, or working towards this standard.
Commitment to Trust Values and BehavioursEssential
- Able to travel across the Trust sites and wider region as required.
- Able to participate in the on-call rota and be flexible with hours potentially at short notice.
- Able to demonstrate compatibility with the Trust's values and behaviours.
- Takes pride in their own and team's work.
- Flexible in their attitudes and behaviours to support team working and delivery of objectives.
- Supports learning and development of self and others
- Specialist knowledge and experience of communications, specifically campaigns and/or marketing.
- Successful track record of impactful multi-channel campaign design and delivery in highly dynamic and politically sensitive environments, using forward looks, planners and other systematic methods to ensure deadlines are managed and met.
- Experience of long-term strategy and campaign development with demonstrable results.
- Experience of senior communications leadership, overseeing the work of a dynamic team.
- Experience of working effectively with suppliers and agencies.
- Experience of working with senior and board-level executives providing counsel and where appropriate, training.
- Experience of insights, evaluation and metrics reporting to senior audiences.
- Experience of strategy development and cross-channel implementation.
- Excellent knowledge of how the communications discipline is evolving in the digital era and an ability to use this intelligence to continually improve what we do.
- Experience of managing and motivating staff and teams.
- Demonstrable ability to manage own workload and make informed decisions in the absence of information, working to tight and often changing timescales.
Communication and relationship skillsEssential
- Demonstrable experience of embedding behavioural-change approaches in campaign delivery.
- Experience of commissioning external creative and agency outputs.
- Experience of group facilitation as part of campaign engagement.
- Understanding or experience of behavioural science approaches and how they apply to healthcare communications.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Experience of interpreting highly complex, difficult, sensitive and controversial/ contentious information in negotiation with senior stakeholders with whom the post holder will be required to influence.
- Ability to influence and persuade others by articulating a balanced view and providing constructive challenge and feedback.
- Excellent planning and project management skills, alongside IT competence.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and work with staff from across the organisation at all levels.
- Ability to deliver to deadlines through effective time management skills including ability to prioritise work and manage distractions and conflicting demands
- Ability to analyse issues quickly and make recommendations.
- Confident and able to establish credibility quickly at all levels of the organisation including senior and Trust Board level.
- Ability to prepare and produce concise yet insightful communications for dissemination to a broad range of stakeholders as required.
Analytical and Judgement skillsEssential
- Skilled in chairing network and steering group meetings
- Facilitation skills.
- Strong presentational skills.
Planning and organisation skillsEssential
- Proactive, enthusiastic and motivated Strong attention to detail and ability to give constructive feedback to support development of others.
- Personal integrity - evidence of a strongly held commitment to openness, honesty, inclusiveness and high standards in undertaking a leadership role.
- Ability to make decisions autonomously, when required, on difficult issues.
- Able to manage conflict in order to bring about positive outcomes.
- Open to change and possible alternatives to doing things differently.
- Credible, trustworthy and inspires confidence in others.
- Enthusiastic about area of work and achieving results and maintaining a good reputation for the team.
- Conscientious, able and keen to deliver best possible quality at all times.
- Ability to be compassionate, inclusive and accountable, and lead staff, partners and other stakeholders
- Highly organised and efficient.
- Demonstrates a responsive, solution focused approach to addressing issues and barriers.
- Drive for improvement - a deep motivation to improve performance in the health service and make a real difference to health and quality of life for the patients and communities we serve.
- Manages team effectively within the constraints of budget and following good governance.
- Ability to work flexibly to meet the needs of the service and work effectively as a team player, demonstrating self-motivation and initiative at all times.
- Demonstrate an understanding of commitment to customer care and quality of service
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.