The Medical Statistician is a senior management role with expertise and experience to lead and perform statistical analyses in all areas of medical research.
The role will provide management support to the Institutes of Excellence Senior Projects Manager to strengthen the application and evaluation of health research across the Trust, and its strategic partners.
You will be working closely and collaboratively with clinical and academic researchers the Research Development Team and Trial Management Unit in the R& D Department in addition to data management and data system teams across the Trust.
You will have the opportunity to set up and grow a team of medical statistics through grant and NIHR Research Capability Funding (RCF) funds over time.Main duties of the job
*Please be advised that there are proposed interview dates of either 3rd or 5th OctoberAbout us
- Statistics analysis and support
- Project Management
- General research and development support
- Collegiality and research citizenship
University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust, rated as good by the Care Quality Commission, is one of the largest teaching Trusts in the UK.
We are extremely proud of our employees across our hospital sites, with high quality patient care at the heart of everything we do.
Boasting some of the most modern facilities in Western Europe, the Trust is renowned for being at the forefront of research and innovation as part of its blossoming reputation as a worldwide leader in healthcare.
We are proud to be recognised as a Pathway to Excellence designated organisation - please click the link for further details about this prestigious award. Pathway To Excellence - University Hospitals Coventry & Warwickshire (uhcw.nhs.uk)
By joining our exciting journey, you will form part of a passionate, talented team and will be able to access a wide range of learning and development opportunities. There has never been a better time to join our team.
The Trust is committed to building an organisation that makes full use of the talents, skills, experience, and different perspectives available in our diverse society. We want everyone to feel they are respected, valued, can achieve their potential and receive the most appropriate and relevant care. We will create an environment where the equality and human rights principles of fairness, respect, equality, dignity and autonomy are promoted and are part of the organisation's core values.Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesStatistics:
- Lead development and delivery of the overall strategy for medical statistics in methodology and applied statistical research.
- Advising on the design and application of appropriate statistical methodology and analyses, data collection and interpretation for research funding applications,
- clinical trials, and prospective and retrospective observational studies.
- Lead a training and development programme to ensure high quality statistical awareness and understanding including adopting or adapting new methodologies where appropriate in all aspects of clinical trials, and prospective and retrospective observational studies.
- Provide statistical and methodological design on research funding applications as co-applicant where relevant.
- Support the setting up and implementation of investigator-initiated studies including general and statistical-specific writing of protocols and statistical analysis plans.
- Supervise and perform where necessary data analyses for clinical trials, and observational studies.
- Advise and contribute to the authorship of presentations, reports, and scientific publications.
- Advise, prepare and present research results at both internal and external scientific meetings and conferences.
- Keep abreast with developing statistical methodologies for the design and analysis of clinical research.
- Provide statistical training, seminars and support to non-statistical colleagues and associates.
- Communicate complex statistical concepts and results to a range of audiences.
- Supervise and support the randomisation procedures where necessary.
- Support the wider R& D teams as required in the translation of clinical research results for patient benefit.
- Deputise for the Institutes of Excellence Senior Projects Manager as appropriate.
- Develop ideas, grant applications and business cases from inception to successful realisation and dissemination with NHS, academic and industry stakeholders.
- Responsible for setting budgets related to statistical involvement in research studies, regular review of budgets and for managing spend against the budgets.
- Ensure initiatives are delivered on time, to quality standards and in a cost-effective manner, adjusting plans and associated activities as required.
- Complete associated project activities by establishing appropriate project management frameworks, structures, models and processes and to scope, plan and develop the business case/s and other necessary project documentation.
- Manage delivery against key milestones and within resources, reporting progress and any slippage, risks and implications through the appropriate reporting/governance routes.
Collegiality and research citizenship:
- Maintain good knowledge of MHRA and EU directives on clinical trials and ICH GCP guideline.
- Advise and provide general and stats specific information to researchers preparing for REC meetings.
- Work with the Trusts governance team to contribute and review appropriate Standard Operating Procedures.
- Support the trial management unit develop and test of databases for the collection of clinical research data and liaise with trial and data managers, and trial coordinators to ensure data quality and consistency.
- Contribute and participate in patient and public engagement roles and activities and support Departmental events as required.
For further details please see the attached job description. Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential Desirable ExperienceEssential Desirable KnowledgeEssential SkillsEssential Employer detailsEmployer name
- Engage with and mentor academic fellows and postgraduate students in medical research.
- Build relationships and work with national and international colleagues to develop and implement novel statistical methods in health research.
- Undertake relevant advisory and consultancy activities (e.g. Research Ethics Committee, Trial Steering Committees, Data Monitoring Committees).
- By invitation, contribute to the peer review process of papers submitted to research journals.
University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS TrustAddress
Clifford Bridge Road
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.