Consultant Psychiatrist in General Adult Psychiatry
The post-holder will be Consultant Psychiatrist to Norman ward in Green Parks House, Princess Royal University Hospital, Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust.
He/she will provide senior medical cover for18 acute inpatients admitted to Norman ward. The post-holder will be the Responsible Clinician (RC) for all detained inpatients.
The post-holder along with his/her designated 2 wte Core Trainees will be responsible for all clinical work and related administrative work including mental health act work and along with other team members ensure that patients have good quality care and that the Trust's quality indicators are not breached. It is expected that the post holder will work very closely with the ward manager to deliver high quality and evidence based clinical care to inpatients and take a lead on clinical governance including the delivery of key performance targets, learning from incidents and service user feedback.Main duties of the job
There are three general adult wards based at Green Parks House, Princess Royal University Hospital. These wards, Norman, Betts and Goddington admit both informal and detained patients. Norman ward has 18 beds and all wards are mixed sex wards.
The inpatient wards at Green Parks House successfully completed the College Research Unit's accreditation programme for inpatient units in 2008. The focus of all the acute wards is on multi-disciplinary team assessment and treatment of mental illness through a range of treatments and collaborative care.
Treatment is achieved with high levels of observation and a range of treatment strategies, including pharmacological and psychological approaches, within a safe and secure environment.About us
At Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust, we offer a wide range of NHS healthcare services to people living in South-East London and to people in prison across England. Our wide array of services includes community health care, such as district nursing and speech and language therapy, care for people with learning disabilities and mental health such as psychiatry, nursing and therapies.
Oxleas is a great place to work. It has been recognised as one of the Top 10 Best Places to Work 2023 by the Sunday Times amongst very big employers. Our staff survey results show that we are in the Top 5 in England and the highest in London for staff experience amongst similar trusts.
We are always delighted to welcome new colleagues to the Oxleas family. We care about making Oxleas a great place to work - it's a big priority in our strategy. Come and join us - it's a place where our values, teamwork, equity, and wellbeing matter and where you can really help to improve people's lives.
Chief ExecutiveJob descriptionJob responsibilitiesEXPECTED MININUM STANDARDS FOR INPATIENT CONSULTANTS
- RC chairs and leads a multidisciplinary review meeting of patients on the ward at least three times a week to ensure that there are enough opportunities to see each new patient at the earliest opportunity and that all patients are seen at least once a week.
- Attend clinical governance meetings where the quality of care the ward provides is reviewed at least once a month
- Attend the business meeting to support and provide a senior clinical view and perspective on issues that affect the ward and have a good understanding of the directorates priorities in relation to patient safety, patient experience and clinical effectiveness and understand external factors influencing services such as budgetary frameworks and inspection regime e.g. CQC inspections.
- Regular one on one meetings with the ward manager
- Ensure effective and appropriate use of medical resources within the team to address the needs of service users.
- Ensure regular and adequate supervision of trainees and non-training medical staff as may be necessary
- Ensure that the views of families and carers are sought when making decisions about patient care and discharge planning
- Participate in directorates and sub-directorate meetings including task and finish, ad-hoc and regular meetings to address specific issues affecting the directorate or sub-directorate that require clinical input.
- Ensure that there are no statutory breaches such as allowing sections to lapse. Ensure that capacity assessments or section 58 (consent to treatment) are completed in a timely fashion. Also ensure that discharge summaries or letters are completed in a timely manner and information contained such as discharge medication is accurate.
Person SpecificationGMC registrationEssential
- Engage in regular service reviews and developments such as use of outcome measures such as NICE audits of their practice and use of new technology when these become available to support their work for example IPads, Docman and Video Conferencing
MBBSEssential Psychiatry experienceEssential
- Must have full GMC registration
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Must have relevant psychiatry experience
Oxleas NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Green Parks House, PRUH
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.