An exciting opportunity has arisen to join a panel of volunteer Mental Health Act Review Managers who undertake a specific role as set out in section 23 of the Mental Health Act 1983.
Patients detained under one of the sections of the Mental Health Act (or are subject to a Community Treatment Order) have the right to have their detention reviewed by Mental Health Act Review Managers (MHARMS).
Who are MHARMS?
* Patients who are detained under the Mental Health Act can ask for their case to be reviewed by MHARMS. They can decide whether a patient should be discharged from detention.
* They are independent of our Trust and of the clinical teams who assess and treat people detained under the Act.
* The name managers can be confusing because it does not mean the people who run our hospitals. MHARMS are independent volunteers appointed to discharge this responsibility and are not employees of the Trust.
Hearings are conducted Mondays to Fridays, between the hours of 9 and 5.
It is expected that each MHARM will participate in a minimum of 12 review panels per year, each requiring a panel of three MHARMS.
Hearings may be conducted remotely on MS Teams or in person at Trust sites across Hampshire. Expressions of interest from applicants who are willing to work across our Hampshire sites or parts, are particularly welcome.
A sessional fee is paid per hearing & quarterly forum meetings.Main duties of the job
* MHARMS sit on panels of three to review the cases of patients detained under the Mental Health Act.
* Reviews can be held at any time however, they are usually held following an appeal by a patient or following the renewal of their detention by their responsible clinician, who is the person in charge of their care.
* MHARMS have the power to discharge most people detained under the Mental Health Act and anyone subject to a Community Treatment Order.
* Their role is to ensure any detention is legal and appropriate by asking questions of the relevant clinical team to ascertain if continued detention is required and/or justified under the Mental Health Act. * They report any issues and/or concerns relating to patients detained under the Act via the Mental Health Act team, which reports to the Trust Board.
MHARMs are required to attend initial training and further updates as arranged by the Mental Health Legislation Manager in order to facilitate a working knowledge and understanding of the Mental Health Act 1983 and associated legislation.About us
Are you committed to providing remarkable care and service?
Are you passionate about helping people and want to make a difference every day?
We want to meet you!
Southern Health is one of the largest Foundation Trusts in the UK, specialising in mental health, adult and child community health and learning disabilities. We are committed to promoting the welfare and safeguarding of children, young people and adults at risk of abuse and neglect through our 6,500 strong workforce.
Southern Health has over 300 sites across the county and we serve 1.5 million people throughout all stages of their lives. Our aim is to work alongside the people we support (and our health and care partners) to deliver the best possible care and constantly improve.
Here at SHFT we have so much to be proud of:
- Working as a team and supporting each other, we put patients and our staff at the heart of everything we do.
- We have a skilled and diverse workforce and are committed to our staff development, offering bespoke training packages, leadership pathways and career opportunities.
- We offer a variety of benefits such as an amazing pension scheme, generous annual leave, Childcare Choices scheme, many discounts (Blue Light card, The Company Shop, NHS Staff Discounts, cycle to work scheme) and much more.
Come to work with us, together we will provide outstanding treatment and care to improve lives.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Further information about the Trust and this role can be found on the Job Description and Person Specification document attached.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Further information about the Trust and this role can be found on the Job Description and Person Specification document attached.
Southern Health NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.