The Royal Marsden is a centre of excellence with an international reputation for ground-breaking research, complex major surgery and pioneering the very latest in cancer treatments and technologies.At the Royal Marsden we have a distinct set of values that define what we are and how we behave. Our values encompass showing kindness and compassion and putting our patient care first, offering ideas for improving the quality and safety of services and supporting others in new ways of working, taking responsibility for personal and team performance and priorities and striving to ensure quality of services and make the best use of resources.We have seven modern theatres in Chelsea which includes two robotic theatres, and three theatres in Sutton. We cover a wide range of specialties, including Sarcoma and Melanoma, Upper and Lower GI, Plastics, Head and Neck, Gynaecology, Urology and Breast, using a wide range of surgical techniques. Our theatres scrub team is trusted, skilled, hardworking and supportive, and we're looking for a motivated and experienced scrub nurse or experienced scrub ODP who can demonstrate leadership qualities and a real interest in high quality perioperative care to join us.Main duties of the job
- To carry out in a responsible and efficient way, the nursing care for patients which have been drawn up in conjunction with the co-ordinator of the shift.
- As a member of the theatre team to perform all the tasks of a registered theatre nurse/ODP including resuscitation, scrub and circulation following all checks and procedures as laid down inNational and Trust theatre policy. The post holder is expected to carry out all the relevant forms of care without direct supervision and is required to demonstrate procedures, supervise underqualified staff whilst maintaining a safe working environment.
- To be responsible for the safe use of complex scrub equipment (diathermy, laparoscopic etc) To demonstrate sound knowledge base of safe decontamination processes and practices, particularlyrelating to the safe decontamination of flexible scopes and sterilisation of instruments.
- Support senior staff and multidisciplinary team members in monitoring and maintaining excellent clinical standards of clinical practice and staff development as part of the theatre team.Provide high quality, individualised, evidence-based care to patients/clients and relatives/carers in collaboration with the multi-professional team, in line with the local and national targets.
- To be responsible for continuing professional development.
- To develop an understanding of managing a shift with the guidance of the Ward/DepartmentalSister/Charge Nurse
The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust is a world-leading cancer centre. Our role is to offer our patients the best cancer care available anywhere in the world, and to continue to make a global contribution to finding better ways of diagnosing and treating cancer. We employ over 4,500 staff in a diverse range of careers including nursing, medical, science, radiography, pharmacy, occupational therapy, finance and administrative services. We have two hospitals - one in Chelsea, London, and one in Sutton, Surrey - as well as a Medical Daycare Unit in Kingston Hospital.At The Royal Marsden, we deal with cancer every day, so we understand how valuable life is. When people entrust their lives to us, they have the right to demand the very best. That's why the pursuit of excellence lies at the heart of everything we do.At the heart of the hospital is our dedicated team. We offer a stimulating and dynamic working environment, a wide range of staff benefits, learning and development opportunities and clear career pathways. There are opportunities to work flexibly across a range of areas and specialities and we welcome flexible working requests from point of hire to support employees work life balance. We are looking for employees who aspire to excellence, share our values and can play a crucial role in our on-going achievements.Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesFor further information on this role, please see the attached detailed Job Description and Person Specification.
The current work patterns for staff in the Theatre Department are in the Job Description and will be discussed at interview. However, this is currently under review and the team may be moving, after consultation, to a shift pattern including extended days and weekend working and the successful applicant will be required to fulfil the revised shift pattern if implemented.Person SpecificationAttainmentsEssential Desirable
Special aptitudes and dispositionEssential
- Experience in area of speciality
Desirable Employer detailsEmployer name
- Commitment to personal and professional development
The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation TrustAddress
The Royal Marsden
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.