IT Engineer IT Department Band 6 - �35,392 - �42,618 per annum Full time -Hours: 37.5 per week. All MKUH roles will be considered for flexible working
As a Global Digital Exemplar Fast Follower, it is an exciting time at Milton Keynes University Hospital. We are now seeking an IT Engineer to play an important role in supporting our journey to becoming a state-of-the-art digital hospital.
You will be working within a friendly multi-disciplinary team within a fast moving and dynamic environment that will see you working with staff across the organisation and with a range of external partners.
This is a unique opportunity to help shape the future for Milton Keynes University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
For an informal discussion about the post, please contact Joao Andre, Deputy of Head of IT Technical Services, email@example.com Interview date: 16th October 2023Main duties of the job
To provide a high quality, responsive and comprehensive 3rd Line IT Support service, incorporating support for all Trust staff as well as support for NHS Milton Keynes staff on occasions. All support activities are to be provided during the core operational hours of 08:00-17:00.
The post holder will also be required to provide support to internal IT staff to ensure that SLAs are met and knowledge and skills are effectively shared between staff at all levels.
The post holder will be required to provide support both remotely via the telephone or remote tools, or face to face where necessary in order to provide timely resolution to logged incidents ensuring SLAs are met and typically exceeded.
To assist with Service Desk operations as the need arises.
The post holder will actively implement, manage and maintain technical infrastructure taking remedial action where necessary, this may include, but not be limited to, the following areas, networking, servers, storage, firewalls, PCs and peripherals, telephony and core clinical and non-clinical applications.
The post holder will be required to monitor the health status of the Trust's IT infrastructure estate to ensure minimum disruption to services.
The post holder will be required to ensure that all Trust data is adequately secured and protected at all times.About us
You can expect a warm welcome at Milton Keynes University Hospital, our staff are friendly and welcoming. We listen to each other and work together to embed our Trusts values and behaviours. At MKUH we appreciate our staff and reward them with an outstanding benefits package including:
- Free on-site parking
- Free tea and coffee
- Great flexible workingopportunities
- Discounted gym membership
- Lease car scheme
- Generous annual leave and pension scheme
- On site nursery (chargeable)
- Extensive staff health and well-being programme
Milton Keynes University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, in partnership with the University of Buckingham, is a University Teaching Hospital we conduct research and teaching on site to improve the care of our patients. The hospital is undergoing significant investment, and we are proud to be rated good by the CQC. Visit our website to catch up on our latest news.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
The post holder will be responsible for delivery of 3rd line IT Support services to all Trust staff. In this capacity the post holder will be responsible for undertaking established and routine activities associated with Support operations as directed by the IT Infrastructure Manager. This will include but not be limited to the following activities:
- Logging, ownership and management of IT incidents allocated and /or reported by Trust staff. The post holder will be expected to own and manage the incident through the full incident lifecycle through to closure in line with the implementation of ITIL standards. The accurate and timely logging of all information is essential.
The post holder will be required to manage, monitor and support multiple technologies across the entire infrastructure portfolio including, but not limited to:
Project & Development Support
- Server hardware and software. This may include specification, design, procurement, installation, build, testing, support and monitoring of all existing and any new server hardware and software.
- Storage Area Networks (SANs). This may include specification, design, procurement, installation, build, testing, support and monitoring of all existing and any new storage related technologies.
- Applications. This may include specification, design, procurement, installation, build, testing and monitoring of all existing and any new application infrastructure.
The post holder will be required to undertake the full project lifecycle of discovery, development, testing, delivery and handover to relevant teams under the direction of the IT Infrastructure Manager and/or the Head of IT Technical Services.
The post holder will consider potential innovative developments and prepare briefing papers as necessary for consideration by local management including solutions, options, costs and benefits/drawbacks. Applications
The post holder will be expected to support a wide range of core clinical and non-clinical applications which includes but is not limited to a Patient Administration System/Electronic Patient Record (PAS/EPR (eCARE)), Pathology System and a Radiology System through to an email infrastructure, Virtual Server estate, database services, telephony services, backup software, an Office suite and our internally developed applications. Youll be expected to have, or develop your own understanding of these applications to a high level, allowing you to provide an excellent support service for staff. Hardware
The post holder will be expected to provide high level support in all areas of hardware which may include, but not be limited to, servers, networking, storage, telephony (including analogue, IP and mobile devices), firewalls, desktop PCs, printers, laptops, mobile devices, other peripherals, etc. Documentation
The post holder will assist with the following activities:
- The creation and on-going maintenance of schematic/configuration documentation of all systems and infrastructure maintained by the IT Department. The post holder will also be required to liaise with 3rd parties to ensure appropriate documentation is received for hosted/managed systems.
- The creation and on-going maintenance of knowledge databases used within the group.
Effective and timely communications is an essential activity of the role and the IT Engineer will require excellent inter-personal and written and verbal communication skills. Communication responsibilities will include:
- Communicating the progress of logged incidents, problems and changes.
- Assist with communication to key stakeholders and system owners in connection with major incidents (e.g. unscheduled outages causing significant disruption to Trust system users).
The post holder will understand the importance of training for both IT and non-IT staff and as such will be required to guide users through sometimes complex problems advising them of best practice and standard procedures. Service Improvement
The post holder will be expected to follow departmental and Trust SOPs, Policies and Procedures and will be required to provide feedback on IT service related items to ensure continual improvement of the IT support function. Other
The post holder will have administrative access to a wide range of systems used throughout the Trust. The post holder will be expected to perform user administration tasks which will include but not be limited to:
Please refer to Job Description for further details.Person SpecificationQualifications and knowledgeEssential
- Manage access to all IT systems ensuring that strong user authentication controls are in place at all times.
- Provision of new user accounts for IT systems, including, but not limited to, Active Directory, Exchange, the Trusts PAS/EPR (eCARE), Pathology Systems, Radiology Systems etc.
- IT Related NVQ Level 3 or A Levels (or equivalent qualification/relevant experience).
- Degree or equivalent qualification/relevant experience.
- Hands on expertise in a broad range of systems acquired through in-depth experience or theory based learning.
- Up to date IT technical qualifications e.g. MCSA, MCSE, MCITP, CCNA (or equivalent qualification/relevant experience).
- Evidence of continual personal development and specialist knowledge.
- IT Service Management qualification e.g. ITIL Foundation (or equivalent qualification / relevant experience).
- Project Management qualification e.g. Prince 2 Foundation.
- Significant experience working in a complex IT environment.
- Advanced understanding of current IT standards, capabilities and developments in desktop, network, server, storage, telephony, security and applications technology.
- Advanced working knowledge and experience of installing and troubleshooting applications and operating systems in a Microsoft focused environment.
- Advanced working knowledge of server hardware and software including Active Directory, Group Policy, Exchange and Hyper-V.
- Advanced understanding of Server and network security fundamentals.
- Advanced understanding of IP, Analogue and Mobile telephony technologies.
- Advanced understanding of Storage Area Network (SAN) technologies.
- Advanced understanding of LAN/WAN/WLAN/VPN technologies.
- Working knowledge of the Microsoft System Centre suite of applications.
- Advanced knowledge of backup technologies and strategies.
- Advanced knowledge of PC imaging technologies.
- Advanced knowledge of patching, anti-virus and encryption software.
- Experience of working in a project team.
- Previous experience working in a 3rd Line support role.
- Previous experience of using Service Desk Management Tools.
- Experience of using Microsoft administrative tools.
Personal and people developmentEssential
- Strategic thinker with sound analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to form excellent relationships and influence and negotiate effectively in order to deliver results and commitment to customer service.
- High standard of written and verbal communication.
- Commitment to continuous professional development personally.
- Ability to interpret and communicate complex technical information to both technical and non-technical staff.
- Ability to prioritise activities of self based on changing requirements and circumstances.
- Ability to work without direct supervision.
- Advanced keyboard and data entry skills, allowing accurate and consistent use of IT systems.
- Ability to remain calm and composed in high pressure situations.
- Self-motivated and able to work to tight deadlines with a flexible approach to work.
- Able to form good working relationships with staff in the Trust and partner organisations.
- Willing to develop own skills and knowledge.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Excellent inter-personal skills.
- Ability to work in a busy environment where continuous
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.