PLEASE NOTE: This is a Band 6 role but we could consider applications from suitably experienced Band 5s. You would be initially paid at Band 5 level until the required competencies are deemed to be met. Please see attached Band 5 and Band 6 Job Descriptions and Person Specifications. If you are appointed at Band 5, your salary will be within the range of �28,407 - �34,581. If you are appointed at Band 6, your salary will be within the range of 35,392 - �42,618. Biomedical Scientist / Healthcare Scientist - Blood Sciences- Haematology and Blood Transfusion
Applications are invited from highly motivated and enthusiastic HCPC registered Biomedical Scientists / Healthcare Scientists for a permanent full time post in the Haematology and Blood Transfusion Laboratories in Blood sciences at the Royal Bolton Hospital. Bolton NHS Foundation Trust is an integrated care organisation providing patient care in the community at health centres and clinics and the hospital.The successful candidate will join our friendly team of experienced Biomedical Scientists and support staff rotating through all sections of our busy Haematology and Blood Transfusion laboratories.Main duties of the job
The successful candidate will join our friendly team of experienced Biomedical Scientists and support staff rotating through all sections of our busy Haematology and Blood Transfusion laboratories.As a biomedical scientist you will work across haematology and transfusion operating analysers such as Sysmex XN, Werfen TOP, Tosoh HPLC, and Ortho Vision analysers.
The laboratories are well equipped (Sysmex XN, Werfen TOP, Tosoh HPLC, and Ortho Vision analysers), fully computerised (Clinisys LabCentre system), fully UKAS accredited and IBMS approved for training. The Blood Sciences Laboratories processes around 900,000 patient samples per year. The department operates an out of hours service (24 hour working - 7 days per week) in which you will be required to participate. Payment for 'out of hours' working is at Agenda for Change rates. Flexibility to cover for absent colleagues will be expected.You will be encouraged and supported to participate in further education, training and Continuing Professional Development.About us
You will join a friendly team of staff and work with all grade levels to make sure the department is able to provide a excellent service to the community and the hospital and maintain turnaround times.
Based just off the M61, twenty minutes from the centre of Manchester and with excellent transport links to the rest of the North West, we are a forward thinking Foundation Trust.Royal Bolton Hospital has a catchment population of approx 350,000 people.The aims of this Trust are to improve the health of our people and provide the best possible care to the population in which we serve and ensure that our staff have joy and pride in their work. We are striving to recruit a workforce that reflects the communities in which we serve. Staff are valued and we can offer excellent opportunities for further training and development.
The vision of this Trust is to be recognised by the people of Bolton and beyond as an excellent provider of health and care services and a great place to work. We are striving to attract, recruit and retain high caliber staff which reflect our communities. We are an inclusive employer who trains and develops our staff in a positive learning environment. We aim to be inclusive and therefore applications form all sectors of the community are welcomed.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
You will work as biomedical scientist in Haematology and Transfusion Laboratories. And once fully trained will be expected to participate in the out of hours service (24 hour working-7 days per week).For further information regarding the key responsibilities of this role please see the attached job description. If you have any further questions regarding this role please do not hesitate to contact us via the information below.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Registered Biomedical Scientist with the Health Professions Council (HPC)
- BSc(hons) Biomedical Science (or equivalent acceptable to the IBMS/HPC).
- Evidence of recent attendance at specialist courses.
- ECDL or equivalent
- Successful completion of the Specialist Portfolio or equivalent post registration experience in specialist practice
- Training/supervision of subordinate staff. Use of IT systems
- Experience of laboratory automation
- Recent experience in busy Haematology department
- Previous experience in 'out of hours' working
- Experience in a wide variety of techniques within the appropriate disciplines
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Practical skills associated with diagnostic laboratory work
- Able to deal with multiple tasks, meet deadlines and work to a consistently high standard
- Problem solving and training skills
- Theoretical knowledge commensurate with HCPC registration
- Evidence of CPD
- Knowledge of laboratory IT systems
- Knowledge of lean management principles
NHS experienceEssential Employer detailsEmployer name
- Flexible approach to work and must be able to participate in out of hours working rotas
- Team working, own initiative and working under pressure
Bolton NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Royal Bolton Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.