Our Paediatric Emergency Team at Peterborough City Hospital is happy to welcome an experienced and innovative Paediatric Deputy Sister/Charge Nurse to lead the team in delivering high quality emergency services to our patients.
You will add significant value to a friendly and supportive team who will assist you in managing your daily duties and responsibilities while rotating between Urgent Treatment Centre and the Emergency Department. Our Emergency Department acts as a single point of access for all emergencies offering treatment to more than 100,000 patients per year. We serve a diverse population which is reflected in our workforce.
As an experienced Paediatric ED nurse with strong clinical knowledge, you will enjoy a high level of autonomy in a challenging and rewarding environment. Teamwork and communication skills are essential to your role. A multidisciplinary specialist team formed of paediatric registered nurses, paediatric resuscitation specialist, nurse practitioners and advanced clinical practitioners will support you.
We will offer you endless career opportunities and excellent in-house educational programmes and training. Guided by our Paediatric Sister and Clinical Educators, you will expand your current skills and knowledge on basic and advanced plastering, wound care, venepuncture and cannulation and the care of the critically ill child or young person.Main duties of the job
You will ensure the delivery of high quality care for infants, children and young people who attend the Emergency Department in conjunction with the ED/Paediatric team, Clinical teams, Matrons, Practice Development Team (PDT) and the wider Multidisciplinary Team (MDT).
You will be expected to support and guide the development of the team and services to ensure the delivery of a high quality care to our patients and their families, while encouraging a positive patient experience.
As a leader, you will be a role model to junior staff members providing clinical supervision and support to the team. You will also, be supporting a multi-disciplinary team on different areas of the Emergency Care setting as required.
If you require any further information or you want to request an informal visit, please contact Charlotte MitchellAbout us
We are committed to ensure a work-life balance to all our staff by offering full time and part time roles, flexible working hours on a shift pattern to fit around your family life.
We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We particularly encourage applications from disabled, Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) and candidates form our local communities.
Benefits to you
Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- 27 days annual leave for new starters, rising to 29 days after five years of service and 33 days after 10 years of service, plus 8 Bank Holidays (pro-rata for part time staff)
- NHS Pension Scheme:
- Flexible working opportunities
- Increased hourly rates for unsociable hours e.g. night shifts, weekends, bank holidays
- Career development and training
- Wellbeing support and activities
- In-house physiotherapy Service
- On-site canteens with subsidised meals
- Subsidised staff parking (currently free).
- Free Stagecoach Bus Travel to and from work within Cambridgeshire and Peterborough
- Maintain clinical credibility to act as a professional role model and take a lead role in the patients journey
- Take responsibility for the organisation and day to day management of a team of staff giving care to patients
- Supervise junior colleagues in the clinical environment
- Assist in the general management of resources
- Act up on occasions for the Paediatric Band 7 in their absence
- Ensure that patient care remains a priority in inter-professional practice and that referrals to the MDT are timely and discharge planning takes place where appropriate.
- Share best practice with colleagues and the wider MDT
- Ensure practice is continually reviewed and developed, in liaison with the ED team and PDT
- Uphold the Values and reputation of your profession and the Trust at all times.
- Be open and candid with all service users about all aspects of care and treatment, including when any mistakes or harm have taken place.
- Deliver all care in a compassionate and caring manner through relationships based on empathy, respect and dignity.
- Manage the Paediatric area in ED to limit overcrowding and maintain patient flow.
- Act as patient advocate through the application of ethical, legal and professional knowledge and skills as required
- Working with the team and wider MDT to develop productive ways of working to deliver best care to patients. Identify new ways of working to improve the patient experience.
- Registered Children's Nurse
- 3 years post registration experience
- PILS trained
- 2 years' experience working in ED
- Teaching and assessing qualification
- Safeguarding level 3
- Degree in Paediatric Nursing
- Post registration additional courses. (HDU course)
- Completion of or working towards a leadership programme
- Extensive experience in: - Cannulation/Venepuncture - IV competent - Leading and supporting a team - Adaptable to be able to work in a demanding and busy environment - Comprehensive applied anatomy and physiology relevant to clinical area - Ability to function as part of the multi-professional team - Excellent understanding of safeguarding - Competent in Manchester Triage - Experience of looking after the critically ill/intubated child - Problem solving - Excellent written and verbal communication - Basic & advanced plastering - Wound management
- Demonstrates an understanding of: - Accountability and responsibility - Link nurse role - Evidence based practice - Reflective practice - Awareness of current developments in healthcare and professional nursing relevant to area - Clinical governance relevant to role - Recognising the need to teach and assess the competency of others
- Participation in change management project
- Evidence of implementing innovation in practice
- Experience in audit and research in effective change in nursing practice
- X-ray requesting
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Able to complete variety of shifts, including nights and weekends, to enable effective 24/7 service of Paediatric ED
North West Anglia NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Peterborough City Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.