An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the Trust's capital team based in Financial Services, supporting the Strategic Capital Accountant in delivering the Trust's capital scheme.
The successful applicant will have strong people skills and will liaise with various stakeholders throughout the Trust to inform capital reporting and monitor capital expenditure against budgets and plans.
This is a hybrid role with one day per week working in the office at Hollins Park.
Shortlisting planned for 21 September.
Interviews planned for 25 September.Main duties of the job
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of all financial aspects of the operational capital programme.
- Ensure the maximisation of the trusts cash resources and the delivery of the Capital Resource Limit, Capital Cost Absorption Rate and External Financing Limit.
- Ensure financial plans are produced and delivered as per the Financial Framework.
- Ensure the accurate accounting treatment for capital schemes.
Mersey Care is one of the largest trusts providing physical health and mental health services in the North West, serving more than 11 million people.
We offer specialist inpatient and community services that support physical and mental health and specialist inpatient mental health, learning disability, addiction and brain injury services. Mersey Care is one of only three trusts in the UK that offer high secure mental health facilities.
At the heart of all we do is our commitment to 'perfect care' - care that is safe, effective, positively experienced, timely, equitable and efficient. We support our staff to do the best job they can and work alongside service users, their families, and carers to design and develop future services together. We're currently delivering a programme of organisational and service transformation to significantly improve the quality of the services we provide and safely reduce cost as we do so.Job descriptionJob responsibilities To be the lead financial officer for the monitoring and reporting of capital expenditure within the trust. To be responsible for maintaining the trusts asset register, ensuring all capital expenditure is recorded in accordance with current accounting standards and Department of Health guidance. To monitor capital expenditure against budget and produce a monthly capital report for the Capital Investment Group. Production of a monthly interactive capital dashboard for members of the Capital Investment Group. Prepare the annual capital charge estimates. Liaise with the district valuer when assets under construction complete and during the 5 yearly revaluation exercise. Interpret national guidance to ensure the correct accounting treatment for all PFI and finance lease schemes. Maintain up to date knowledge of accounting standards to advise the Deputy Director of Estates on the accounting treatment for large estates schemes. Develop, monitor, and reconcile the trusts cash flow projection. Ensure the maximisation of the trusts return on investment by investing in the National Loans Fund. Monitor and report on the trusts performance against treasury management targets. Assist in the preparation of the trusts Annual Accounts in accordance with IFRS and the department of health manual for accounts. Liaise with the Deputy Director of Estates and Facilities to model 5 and 10 year capital plans. Assist in the development and maintenance of the trusts long term financial model updating it with changes in income, expenditure, Capital plans, CIP plans, PFI costs and activity. To include downside modelling. Contribute to the development of the service offered by the Department. Ensure that Standing Financial Instructions, Standing Orders, and Financial Policy and Procedures are observed at all times. To deputise for the Strategic Capital Accountant as appropriate. Any other duties as directed by the Strategic Capital Accountant commensurate with grade. Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- CCAB or CIMA Accountancy Qualification
- Evidence of continuing professional development
- Experience of capital projects and financial modelling
- Experience of working under pressure and meeting deadlines
- Knowledge of NHS Captial Accounting
- In-depth technical accounting knowledge
- Knowledge of the NHS Finance regime
- Thorough understanding of NHS targets
- Expert knowledge of LTFM
- Comprehensive understanding of PFI/Finance Lease/Operating Lease accounting treatments
- Working in a Mental Health Trust
- Preparing and presenting reports to non-finance staff
- Knowledge of Oracle ledger system
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing with all disciplines and seniorities
- Strong numeracy and analytical skills
- A high standard of computer literacy
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Politically astute
- Proactive and solution orientated
- Ability to understand and interpret complex financial information
- Ability to work autonomously, guided by general NHS and organisational policy
- Ability to formulate and evaluate alternative courses of action and advise and persuade senior staff of a certain course, applying constraints as appropriate
- A demonstrated understanding of Equality and Human Rights
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Access
- Evidence of strategic thinking and innovation
Mersey Care NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Hollins Park House
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.