This is an exciting opportunity for a qualified therapist to develop skills in the field of head and neck cancer and oncology. The successful candidate will join the Macmillan Integrated Therapy Service. The team is made up of Speech and Language Therapists, Dietitians, Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists and Assistant Practitioners. Adopted by Macmillan, you will benefit from a wide range of support and training opportunities.
This a part time post, but additional sessions may be available across the SLT service.Main duties of the job
As part of the Macmillan team, you will manage patients along the cancer pathway from diagnosis through treatment, rehabilitation, and palliative care. The post will incorporate both inpatient and outpatient work in a variety of clinical settings including laryngectomy and well established AHP led clinics.
The service works very closely within the specialist H& N MDT and has regular joint clinics with dietitians, clinical nurse specialists, and surgeons.
The post holder will treat patients with communication, swallowing and voice disorders related to Head and Neck Cancer and oncology diagnoses. Training and experience in dysphagia is essential, however, applications are welcome from therapists with limited specialist head and neck/oncology experience, as training and support will be available.About us
We are based in picturesque Shropshire, minutes from the M54 and close to Birmingham and the Welsh borders.
We have access to an annual PGM to link us to the wider profession across the county. We offer and implement regular management and clinical supervision across the whole of therapies, as well as weekly huddles and monthly meetings allowing for group discussions around cases and service developmentJob descriptionJob responsibilitiesFor full duties and responsibilities please refer to the attached document entitled Job Description.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Degree or equivalent in Speech and Language Therapy
- Registered with Health and Care Professions Council and RCSLT
- Evidence of specialist clinical training in relevant areas
- Evidence of broad range of pre and post qualification experience
- Evidence of experience in relevant area of clinical practice, including dysphagia
- Evidence of teaching/ student experience
- Experience in audit and research
- Evidence of CPD (portfolio) detailing clinical experience relevant to the post
- Knowledge of current NHS strategy and plans
- knowledge and understanding of Clinical Governance
- Evidence of Specialist level of clinical reasoning
- Knowledge of current Evidence Based Practice relevant to post
ExperienceDesirable Employer detailsEmployer name
- Evidence of leadership ability
- Clinical supervision, teaching, mentorship and appraisal skills
- IT Skills relevant to the role
The Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS TrustAddress
The Royal Shrewsbury Hospital,
Myton oak Road
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.