An opportunity has arisen to join our friendly, hard working and progressive Non-Obstetric Ultrasound team at The Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust.
This post will include rotation between The Princess Royal Hospital, Telford (PRH), The Royal Shrewsbury Hospital (RSH)and the newly created Community Diagnostic Centre (CDC) in Telford with the possibility to work at Ludlow Community Hospital .
The ultrasound department scans approximately 40,000 patients per year in a variety of clinical settings, working alongside Consultant Radiologists and supporting both Radiology Registrar training and Sonographer training schemes.
We are looking for a self-motivated and well organised Sonographer with proven ability to work autonomously. As an experienced and competent Sonographer, you will understand the need for a caring and compassionate approach along with attention to detail. You will play a key role in the delivery of a quality ultrasound service in both acute and community settings.
The required skill mix includes gynaecological, abdominal and small parts. In addition, specialist interest in MSK, neck sonography, paediatrics or vascular scanning would be desirable. Clinical development is encouraged, and we currently provide in-house training in neo-natal head, neo-natal hip and soft tissue ultrasound and we are supporting role extension into a Sonographer led Neck FNA service.Main duties of the job
- To be professionally and legally accountable for all aspects of your own work, including the management of patients in your care.
- To develop and maintain skills required to perform at an advanced level, a varied range of unsupervised scans as detailed in the job summary, resulting in a high quality of patient care.
- To issue an independent report and instigate certain follow up procedures i.e. Abdominal X-rays, follow up scans etc.
- To suggest specialist referral or other investigations.
- To communicate effectively with patients and carers to ensure understanding of procedures.
- Skills of persuasion, motivation, explanation and gaining informed consent will be used with a wide variety of patients. Barriers to effective communication will be evident e.g. Infants,patients with learning difficulties, dementia, pain and fear.
- To occasionally prepare sterile trolleys for biopsies, aspirations and drainages and to assist during these procedures. Attention is paid to the safe disposal of used instruments including needles
The Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust is the main provider of acute medical care for half a million people in Shropshire, Telford & Wrekin and mid-Wales and has been awarded over �300 million to invest in our hospitals. Shropshire is the largest inland county in the UK with Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, World Heritage sites and access to Mid Wales and the Welsh coast. There are good schools, amazingly affordable housing and a wide range of leisure pursuits.
You will have a DMU or PgDip (CASE accredited or CASE accredited equivalent) in Medical Ultrasound, be HCPC registered and be eligible to work in the UK.Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesFor full duties and responsibilities please refer to the attached document entitled Job Description.Person SpecificationQualificationEssential
- Diploma/BSc in Radiography
- CASE Accredited (or CASE Accredited equivalent) DMU/ PgDip in Medical Ultrasound
- Registration with the HCPC
- Experience of working within the NHS
- Current visa to work within the UK
- Experience as a general sonographer
- Qualification and experience in vascular ultrasound, particularly DVT scanning and carotid duplex. In house training may be given if required.
- Qualification and experience in scanning necks/ testes/groins/MSK. In house training may be given if required
- To independently perform, interpret and report general ultrasound examinations
- Ability to manage own workload.
- Ability to teach clinical skills to other staff and students
- Ability to assess and refer patients if further examinations /interventions are required
- Able to communicate with a multidisciplinary team both in and outside the Department
- Ability to participate in MDT meetings
Employer detailsEmployer name
- In depth knowledge of general/vascular anatomy and ultrasound techniques
- In depth knowledge of disease processes and treatments
- A broad knowledge of anatomy and physiology, implications and treatment of a wide range of pathologies
The Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS TrustAddress
The Princess Royal Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.