Oxford University Hospitals' Sterile Services Department are looking a dynamic, proactive, and forward-thinking, experienced individual to join our team at the Horton General Hospital as a band 5 deputy manager.
On Call weekend / Bank holiday 08:00 - 16:00 Saturday & Sunday
The successful candidate will be expected to use their initiative to enhance the unit's processes and procedures to maintain productive and efficient working practises and foster the continual improvement of service quality and performance. As the band 5 you will be expected to participate in all elements of training that are designed to give them the technical knowledge and understanding to carry out the wide range of responsibilities within the department, which call for a high level of numeracy, record keeping, and attention to detail. This post presents an ideal opportunity to develop your practice with a busy team. The ideal candidate should have knowledge and experience in working of a sterile services department and preferably the using of a tracking system to create checklists for new sets.
The successful candidate will be required to under go a VBI further details will be discussed at the interview.Main duties of the job
About usOxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- To assist in the coordination and management of the provision of a specialised service undertaking the decontamination of medical devices contributing to the clinical care of the patient.
- To coordinate the resources, work allocation and staffing of the department on a day-to-day basis and ensure the provision of a high quality and timely service to all service users/customers.
is one of the largest NHS teaching trusts in the country. It provides a wide range of general and specialist clinical services and is a base for medical education, training and research.
The Trust comprises four hospitals - the John Radcliffe Hospital, Churchill Hospital and Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre in Headington and the Horton General Hospital in Banbury.
Our values, standards and behaviours define the quality of clinical care we offer and the professional relationships we make with our patients, colleagues and the wider community. We call thisDelivering Compassionate Excellenceand its focus is on our values of compassion, respect, learning, delivery, improvement and excellence.
These values put patients at the heart of what we do and underpin the quality healthcare we would like for ourselves or a member of our family. Watch how we set out to deliver compassionate excellence via theOUH YouTube channel.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- To work in accordance with Departmental Policy and Quality Management Systems to ensure compliance by other staff.
- To assist in the development and regular review of Standard Operating Procedures and departments policies. To supervise, record and analyse production activity.
- To monitor and control the stocks of raw materials and to take appropriate action on any deficiencies, and assist in the evaluation of new products. To use manual dexterity and concentration for the disassembly and reassembly of the reusable medical devices in accordance with Manufacturers instructions.
- To communicate and supervise enquires from staff, users, and other members of healthcare staff in a polite and helpful manner, seeking advice from Decontamination Quality Manager where required.
- To be responsible for maintaining high standards of department safety ensuring the health, safety and welfare of self and others.
- To be responsible for maintaining the security of the Decontamination Departments, equipment and chemicals in accordance with the Departmental Policy.
- To communicate all relevant information within the team to ensure the continual and efficient running of the service.
- To communicate complex, technical information and advice to customers/ services users and other healthcare professionals, in a polite and helpful manner.
- To communicate with customers/ services users in the investigation of non-conformances.
- Degree in medical device decontamination or equivalent level of knowledge.
- Management/Supervisory Management Qualification
- Health & Safety Training
- Practical experience in medical device decontamination > 5 years
- Experience of supervision and training of a decontamination team
- Experience of ISO audit and Quality Management Systems
- Knowledge of decontamination specific procedures and policies
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to communicate with colleagues and service users on both routine and complex matters
- Ability to participate in the planning of day-to-day procedures and processes.
- Ability to organise and manage personal responsibilities in a timely and efficient manner with referral to senior staff when required.
- Ability to multitask within decontamination systems
- Aligned to the Trust values. Conducts themselves in a professional manner at all times. Positive attitude to all tasks and stakeholders.
- Demonstrates a professional manner at all times
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Demonstrates logical thinking to help troubleshooting
- Ability to motivate others
- Adaptable to changing situations
- Detailed knowledge of reusable medical devices (surgical instruments/equipment)
- Understanding of Quality
- Management processes
- Understanding of Health and Safety processes
- Computer literate with experience of working with the Microsoft Office package
- Advanced keyboard skills
- Understands the fundamentals of data quality, data protection and the confidential use of patient information
- Experience of department tracking information systems
- Member Chartered of Institute of Decontamination Sciences
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Ability to undertake and report on departmental investigations
- Ability to recognise and monitor parameters of quality, accuracy and non-conformance according to departmental standard operational procedures.
- Ability to participate in the production and interpretation of audit data.
- Ability to review and interpret technical data
Oxford University NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Horton General Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.