An opportunity has arisen in Histopathology, as part of Derbyshire Pathology, for an Expert Biomedical Scientists (BMS), with proven experience in laboratory leadership.
Derbyshire Pathology was formed on the 1st July 2018 of the laboratories at Chesterfield Royal Hospital and Royal Derby Hospital, with Queens Hospital Burton joining in October 2021. The Histopathology Department is based on the site of Royal Derby Hospital and operates an extended day and week shift system (please contact for details). There is an appetite for continuing laboratory transformation and we have recently begun our process of fully digitising the Histopathology Service.
Derby has been at the forefront of BMS dissection since 2005 and as such, has a long established and successful in house training and competency programme, pioneering extended biomedical scientist dissection and BMS reporting.
Experience of line management and team leadership are required for this role as you will be expected to actively manage and develop staff in your section and to liaise with the Histology Manager and other Expert BMSs to deliver a high quality, efficient and unified Histology laboratory service.Main duties of the job
To lead on Quality Assurance within Histology therefore familiarisation, understanding and experience of UKAS standards is essential Health & Safety requirements NEQAS, audit and training/education experience is also required. Familiarisation of LIMS implementation is desirable.
Experience of utilising lean methodologies to drive change and improve service is desirable. Candidates should be proactive, self-motivated, and enthusiastic. Excellent communication, organisation and leadership skills are essential.
Closing date of applications: 22 September 2023 Interview date: 06 October 2023About us
- To lead the Quality Assurance programme alongside the Histology Manager and Cellular Pathology Service Manager
- Supervise, train and develop laboratory staff.
- Participate in other sections of the Histology service when required.
- To support molecular pathology testing within histopathology
- Work with team leaders to develop staff to meet team objectives.
- Delegated responsibility for the day to day management of the laboratory functions in an effective and efficient way ensuring the area works within the Standard Operating Procedures laid down by senior management.
As a trusted organisation at the heart of our communities, we recognise the important role we can play in supporting the public, patients, our own people and local partners in achieving the best of health for the local population and the communities in which they live by providing Exceptional Care Together
Our fundamental Values of Compassion, Openness and Excellence underpin how we intend to work as a Trust and the associated behaviours are becoming embedded in all aspects of how we work.
In return we will offer:
- Development opportunities, including both professional and leadership development
- On-going support through every step of the way from recruitment to when you join our team and beyond.
- A variety of other staff benefits including employee assistance programme, discounted gym membership, onsite fitness classes, car schemes
Key Facts about our Trust:
Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- We see on average 4810 OP appointments per day.
- We are the 4th busiest Trauma & Orthopaedic outpatients department in England - an average of 2077 per week.
- An average of 1115 patients are seen in A& Es across our network every day - 3rd largest in the country.
- Our hospitals admit an average of 195 emergency patients daily.
- Last year we undertook almost 33,700 planned surgical operations in our 57 operating theatres.
- We are one of only 7 Trusts nationally with more than 50 operating theatres.
- We carry out more than 140 elective procedures each working day.
Please see attached Job description and Person Specification. To apply please click APPLY FOR THIS JOB this link will take you to the TRAC Recruitment Site. You will need to register if you do not already have an account.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Fellow of IBMS
- MSc Biomedical Science
- Management/leadership courses
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Experience of quality management including audit and governance
- Experience of staff training and development
- Significant post registration experience as required by IBMS
- Experience of transformation/ service development
- Evidence of performing audit
- Experience of managing staff (HR, capability, sickness)
- Demonstrable experience of molecular pathology techniques (DNA extraction, RE-PCR)
- Significant Experience of IHC and FISH
University Hospitals of Derby and Burton NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Royal Derby Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.