This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced Service manager to work within the directorate of haematology, teenage and young adult cancers.
The Christie is a tertiary care cancer centre offering a broad range of haematology services including intensive chemotherapy and stem cell transplantation to a population of 3.5 million across Northwest England and North Wales. Inpatients are managed in a new purpose built 31 bed ward co-located with the regional Teenage and Young Adult service, and is supported by a large team of junior doctors and specialist nurses.
The Christie haematology department also delivers the haematology services at 2 christie @ sites (Macclesfield and Tameside).
The directorates service manager will be responsible for the operational delivery, performance and business management within the directorate. Ensuring that the delivery of services are efficient and effective while promoting quality improvement across the directorate is fundamental to this role.
We are looking for an enthusiastic highly motivated individual to join the dynamic team. Informal visits are welcomed.Main duties of the job
The directorate service manager will be responsible for the operational delivery performance and business management within the directorate in order to ensure the highest standards of patient care. Ensures that the delivery of services is efficient and effective and promotes quality improvement across the directorate.
Responsible for overseeing medical staffing rota in the department and junior doctor support
Supported by deputy services manager and assistant services manager to oversee admin teams across sites.About us
The Christie is one of Europe's leading cancer centres, treating over 60,000 patients a year. We are based in Manchester and serve a population of 3.2 million across Greater Manchester & Cheshire, but as a national specialist around 15% patients are referred to us from other parts of the country. We provide radiotherapy through one of the largest radiotherapy departments in the world chemotherapy on site and through 14 other hospitals highly specialist surgery for complex and rare cancer and a wide range of support and diagnostic services. We are also an international leader in research, with world first breakthroughs for over 100 years. We run one of the largest early clinical trial units in Europe with over 300 trials every year. Cancer research in Manchester, most of which is undertaken on the Christie site, has been officially ranked the best in the UK.Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesDUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES 1.Service/operational management
- Provides operational management support for all services within directorate, working closely with the clinical service manager, clinical director and clinical leads, departmental heads and divisional management team.
- Implements effective and appropriate performance management systems and processes to ensure delivery of performance targets
- Ensures that inpatient and outpatient services within the directorate are used to best effect, achieving utilisation targets and driving improvements
- Provides support to patients relatives and carers in the delivery of services ensuring best practices are adhered to at all times.
- Supports the clinical facilities with day to day operational matters (eg bed escalation meetings, staffing concerns, ward maintenance) to ensure patient flow is maintained.
Strategic planning, service development and improvement
- Ensures the implementation of effective and appropriate performance management systems and processes to ensure delivery of performance targets.
- Leads services on the performance management agenda. Develops and introduces strategies and process changes to ensure recurrent achievement of activity at target levels. This includes liaison with clinicians to influence working practices to achieve the necessary changes.
- Interprets and analyses highly complex data in relation to performance management using Trust software to develop performance management reports.
- Develops own work plan in line with divisional and Trust objectives.
Financial management and Business planning
- Responsible for the interpretation, development and implementation of broad policies and NHS guidance at both directorate and divisional level, when required.
- Plays a key role in service planning and development for the directorate. Develops and implements long term strategic plans for new ways of working and the continued development and improvement of services
- Ensures that developments and improvements are across entire patient pathway and are in line with directorate, divisional and trust objectives.
- Ensures patients and relatives have a central role in the development and monitoring of service development projects for which the post holder is responsible.
- Uses and interprets research and audit findings to aid the development of new guidelines and protocols which support service improvements.
- Ensures regular progress reports, data sources and project reports are produced and submitted to clinical service manager and presented to project boards
Human resources management
- Responsible and accountable for, the management of designated budgets for services within directorate.
- Prepares robust business cases to enable services to remain financially stable and responsive to the demands placed upon them. Performs complex option appraisals in order to inform decision-making process, to include redesign of services.
- Identifies and makes recommendations for capital investment programmes.
- Ensures compliance with Trusts standing orders and standing financial instructions.
- Ensures organisational procedures are deployed across directorate for control of activities against budget, ensuring that services are delivered within available resources.
- Contributes to the development and implementation of schemes and action plans to deliver cash-releasing efficiency savings according to target.
- Contributes to budget setting for services within the directorate.
- Assists clinical service manager in the negotiation of annual service level agreements / contracts as required, ensuring they meet the needs of the directorate.
- Identifies opportunities for service redesign in line with QIPP strategies
Governance, quality and risk management
- Line management responsibility for designated services within directorate.
- Responsible for junior doctor rotas within the directorate including co-ordination of induction along with the clinical lead.
- Responsible for the effective attendance, performance and appropriate conduct of staff in areas of responsibility. Takes action under Trust personnel policies (e.g. grievance, disciplinary, capability, attendance management) where necessary. Undertakes formal investigations and presents to panels
- Provides appraisal/performance review for line managed staff resulting in clearly understood objectives and personal development plans that reflect both the needs of the Trust and the longer term goals of staff.
- Ensures that grievances and whistle blowing are treated appropriately and within Trust policies.
- Ensures effective recruitment processes are implemented within directorate compliant with Trust policy.
- In liaison with HR develop and implement local strategies, using appropriate and innovative approaches to maximise retention and recruitment within own areas of responsibility
- Contributes to divisional workforce plan as part of business planning process in line with division and corporate HR strategies,
- Assists service manager and clinical director to lead and set the strategic direction for governance within the directorate, developing a culture where patient safety, quality and excellent care are delivered on a consistent basis.
- Contributes to the implementation of robust systems and reporting structures for monitoring quality, reviewing standards of service delivery, risk management and safe practice ensuring excellence in the management and delivery of all services within directorate.
- Develops plans and promotes risk management throughout the directorate. Ensures systems and processes are in place for the proactive management of risk registers and that remedial action is promptly taken where unacceptable risks are identified.
- Undertakes investigation and management of incidents and complaints. Undertakes root cause analysis and presents findings to executive review group.
- Required to deal with patients and relatives in serious circumstances which may be traumatic, and highly emotive as a result of a serious untoward clinical incident or complaint
Education & training, audit, R& D
- Maintains a range of highly developed effective communication and working relationships.
- Communicates at the highest level, with respect to highly sensitive and highly contentious information regarding service improvement and development
- Negotiates, influences, persuades and reconciles conflicting views in a challenging and sometimes hostile environment in a manner that ensures credibility and fosters effective and lasting relationships with colleagues, staff, users and other stakeholders.
- Presents information both formally and informally to, divisional board, senior managers, staff groups and patients.
- Develops and implements processes that support good communications both within the Trust and division.
- Actively works with clinicians, managers and staff to develop an environment that promotes continuous service improvement
- Employs motivational skills to encourage collaborative working to improve services and performance.
- Assists clinical service manager to implement divisional strategies for training and development, life long learning and modernising the workforce.
- Ensures training and development plans are in place within directorate and that training needs analyses are regularly reviewed in order to determine optimum staff to deliver present and future services.
- Ensures that line managed staff undertake mandatory training. Audits compliance and takes remedial action.
- Takes responsibility for personal continuing professional development.
- Ongoing requirement to undertake formal investigations, audits and surveys. Evaluates findings, develops and monitors action plans, undertakes remedial action.
- Encourages others to complete satisfaction surveys and develops action plans to address any deficiencies identified.
- Expected to create and maintain information systems as part of ongoing project and programme management.
- Regularly required to use a variety of software to create performance management and financial reports
- Participates in Trust duty manager on call rota
The above indicates the main duties of the post which may be reviewed in the light of experience and developments within the service. Any review will be undertaken in conjunction with the post holder.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- First Degree or equivalent
- Management Qualification - NEBs, CMS,DMS
- In depth professional knowledge in operational management, financial management, performance management, information systems, staff management, change management, acquired through post graduate management qualification
- Expected to maintain, improve and update professional knowledge and skills and participate in continuing Professional Development
- Minimum of 3 years proven experience in operational management.
- Considerable understanding & experience of managing complex services, including exposure to solving a range of operational and strategic problems
- Track record of delivering against set objectives and achieving key organisational targets, demonstrating continuous performance improvement.
- Experience of managing large groups of staff and implementing HR strategies and policies.
- Experience of managing budgets.
- Experience of developing business cases and successful project management
- Experience of working in a pressurized, unpredictable environment
- Demonstrates principles and behaviours described within the Christie Commitment
- Demonstrates commitment to an empathetic and caring approach to patients and relatives. Ability to motivate staff to demonstrate this to ensure that patients are treated with dignity and respect at all times.
- Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.