An exciting development opportunity has arisen within the Dermatology team for an enthusiastic and motivated individual who would like to develop their skills in surgery. If you are a forward thinking Band 5 looking for the next step in your career, then this could be the job for you.
We are a very friendly team of nurses and doctors, we work in the community at Arndale House. The department is light and airy, we share the first floor with Luton Sexual House and Phlebotomy. We have a staff car park, and the train station is a 10 minute walk away.Main duties of the job
-to have in-depth knowledge in phototherapy
-understand the skin conditions that are seen in dermatology
-to assist in minor skin surgery and work towards running their own nurse-led surgery clinics
-to administer systemic injections in a nurse led clinicAbout us
Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust provides hospital services to a growing population of around 700,000 people living across Bedfordshire and the surrounding areas across two busy hospital sites in Bedford and Luton. Both hospital sites offer key services such as A& E, Obstetrics-led Maternity and Paediatrics.
You will be joining a friendly, high performing Trust committed to ensuring the health and wellbeing of staff. As one of the largest NHS Trusts in our region you will have access to a programme of high quality training and development to help you grow your career.
We have state-of-the art facilities placing us at the heart of cutting edge health care. The Trust continues to be committed to delivering the best patient care using the best clinical knowledge and technology available.
Please note that vacancies may close prior to the advertised closing date when sufficient number of applications have been received. Please ensure that you make your application as soon as possible.
All new staff will be subject to a probationary period covering their first six months in post. Travel between hospital sites may be required.
Please review all documents attached to this advert to ensure you familiarize yourself with all requirements of the job.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
EDUCATION, TRAINING & DEVELOPMENT
- To assist in minor skin surgery procedures and work towards running their own Nurse Led Surgery clinics
- The post holder will need to have in-depth knowledge of Phototherapy
- Be a clinical expert in Dermatology nursing with excellent communication skills
- To administer systemic injections in a nurse led clinic
- To have an in-depth knowledge about patch testing and to run a nurse led service
- Provide specialist dermatology nursing advice to support and facilitate high quality, individualised care to patients and relatives/carers without supervision.
- Discusses and agrees assessment outcomes with patients, carers and other health care professionals to enable patients to make an informed decision regarding their treatment.
- Specific Clinical training modules
- Communicates proactively with all clinicians on the clinical condition and treatment plan of patients and ensure accurate nursing documentation is maintained.
- Ensures dignity, privacy and cultural and religious beliefs of patients.
- Ensures own practice is conducted within the trust/unit and ward policies in order to maintain professional, clinical and patient safety.
- Has in-depth knowledge of infection control policies, local divisional strategy with practical experience and principles in relation to the clinical environment, patient acre, the prevention of cross infection, outbreak management, good hand hygiene and environmental cleaning.
- Ensures the correct advice is available and given to patients and relatives/visitors to the department with regard to control of infection.
- Ensures continuity of a high standard of evidence based nursing care, assessing nursing needs of patients, their families and other carers in relation to would care management if appropriate.
- Accepts responsibility for own patient caseload, ensuring all patients have an accurate plan of care, which reflects the assessment undertaken and incorporates the issues and recommendations made ensuring clear documentations in the patients records.
- Follow-up patients as appropriate and ensure all relevant information is available to enable patients to make an informed choice about their treatment.
- Supports the Dermatology unit with identification and development of clinical protocols and strategies to enhance both the continuity and standard of specialist care whilst ensuring equity of access to the service.
- Integrates both pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatment in patient care/management plans.
- Ensures that accurate, essential and appropriate written and verbal information is conveyed to wider MDT to ensure effective management of patients
- To deputise for the Dermatology Nurse Specialist and Lead Nurse and liaise with members of the multi-disciplinary team both within the organisation.
- Communicate proactively with all staff on the clinical condition and treatment plan of patients and ensure accurate nursing records are maintained by all staff.
- Ensure work with the trust/unit and ward policies in order to maintain professional, clinical and patient safety.
- Care and control of medication, being aware of the systems used for safe administration, the ordering and maintenance of stock.
- Perform assessment, planning, delivery and evaluation of care of Dermatology patients in accordance with Trust and departmental protocols. For example nurse led clinics, such as phototherapy, surgery, wound care and ward patients.
- Apply the principles of infection control and prevention of cross infection in relation to patient care and clinical environment.
- Participate in clinical training including teaching and supervision of new staff, unqualified staff and student nurses in the outpatient environment
- To identify own clinical competency deficits, education and development needs, through participation in the Trust appraisal process.
- Participates and leads in Nursing and Clinical Audits.
- Under direction of the lead Nurse, assists with undertaking performance reviews and returns to work interviews.
- Registered NMC Nurse
- Dermatology experience
- assisting minor skin surgery
- Knowledge of teaching and assessing in a clinical practice
- patch testing
- years of experince
- good I.T skills
Desirable Employer detailsEmployer name
- Knowledge of teaching and assessing in a clinical practice
- administering systemic injections
Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Arndale House - The Mall Luton
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.