The Junior Sister/Charge Nurse will participate in innovation and evidenced based nursing practice through professional leadership and supporting the clinical team in close liaison with the Ward Manager and the other Junior Sister/Charge Nurse on the ward. The post holder will act as a credible and professional role model and encourage and empower other staff to develop both personally and professionally to achieve their maximum potential.
The Junior Sister /Charge Nurse is expected to have delegated responsibility for the operational and management issues in the authorized absence of the Sister/Charge Nurse, and take on the leadership of specific projects as agreed with the Ward ManagerMain duties of the job
The Junior Sister/Charge Nurse has delegated responsibility for the management of the clinical areas including assessment of care needs , the development , implementation and evaluation of programs of care and the setting of standards on a shift basis and in the authorized absence of the Ward Manager.About us
Barts Health is one of the largest NHS trusts in the country, and one of Britain's leading healthcare providers.
The Barts Health group of NHS hospitals is entering an exciting new era on our improvement journey to becoming an outstanding organisation with a world-class clinical reputation. Having lifted ourselves out of special measures, we now have the impetus and breathing space to chart a fresh course in which we are continually striving to improve all our services for patients.
Our vision is to be a high-performing group of NHS hospitals, renowned for excellence and innovation, and providing safe and compassionate care to our patients in east London and beyond. That means being a provider of excellent patient safety, known for delivering consistently high standards of harm-free care and always caring for patients in the right place at the right time. It also means being an outstanding place to work, in which our WeCare values and behaviours are visible to all and guide us in how we work together.
We strive to live by our WeCare values and are committed to promoting inclusion, where every staff member has a sense of belonging. We value our differences and fully advocate, cultivate and support an inclusive working environmentJob descriptionJob responsibilities
- Leads on the planning and organisation of staff delegation and activity for patients , making short term adjustments to duty rosters.
- To effectively manage/have 24 hour responsibility for the Ward in the authorised absence of the Ward Manager .
- Deputise for the Ward Manager at meetings and working groups as required
- Ensure that patient concerns are addressed on the ward/department and work with the Patient Advisory and Liaison Service (PALS) and patient forums .
- Will work in partnership with the other Junior Sister/Charge Nurses and the Practice Development Nurse to ensure that clinical practice reflects the current deficit base .
- Cultural awareness and proactive provision of individualized care
- Can prove an ability to motivate and lead others
- Evidence of leading a team
- Can demonstrate positive approach to change
- Proven ability to be self-directing
- Able to deputize for the Ward Manger
- Demonstrate reflection and learning
- Minimum of 2 years post-registration in acute medicine
- Active wound management prevention, recognition and care
- Good oversight of holistic care
- Understanding providing of good quality end of life care
- Acute nursing skills completed including IV competencies
- Awareness of safeguarding and governance processes
- Registered Nurse on NMC Register
- Evidence of Degree level study or working towards this
- Male and female catheter training
- ACS: Foundation Tracheostomy Course
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Clinical reasoning and problem solving
- This role will require the post holder to do internal rotation (will include both days and nights), weekends and bank holiday.
Barts Health NHS TrustAddress
Newham University Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.