We are looking for a Specialist Grade Colorectal and General Surgeon withthe aim of treating General Surgery Elective patients and Emergency General Surgery, with a specialist interest in Surgical Same Day Emergency Care (SDEC).
You will be based at the Southend site but will be expected to work flexibly with colleagues across MSE. The applicant should be proficient in the management of all General Surgical Emergencies and the management of benign coloproctological disorders, gallstones, abdominal wall and groin hernias. There will be particular emphasis for the post holder to manage patients waiting for both admitted and non-admitted treatments. This will include the Lower GI 2ww Rapid Diagnostic Clinic (RDC). Experience in SDEC is desirable.Main duties of the job
To provide specialist grade level General Surgery on call duties (1 in 10) based at Southend. This will include on site day-time cover and post take ward rounds, including emergency operating, although senior support can be provided.
To perform independent elective operating for the elective recovery of patients on the long waiting list, this may include working on Saturdays with compensatory days off during the week.
To provide outpatient Colorectal and general surgical clinic service this may include minor procedures
To provide specialist care in laparoscopic Colorectal surgery
To participate in relevant Colorectal MDTs
To participate in 'hot' laparoscopic cholecystectomy list cover
To provide Emergency Surgical Ambulatory Care ClinicsAbout us
Mid and South Essex NHS Foundation Trust is now one of the largest in the country, with a workforce of approximately 15,000 who serve a population of 1.2 million people.We work together, and in conjunction with MSE Health and Care Partnership, to deliver excellent local and specialist services, to improve the health and wellbeing of our patients in a compassionate way, and provide a respectful, but vibrant place for staff to develop, innovate and build careers.From facilities through to consultant specialists we want to be the best, to achieve this we need to recruit not just those who are the finest in their field but also those who have the potential to be. Yes, experience is important but so is outlook - if you are dynamic, forward-thinking and enthusiastic we want you to join us.
We not only offer you a good working environment with flexible working opportunities, but also the opportunity to develop your career with access to appropriate training for your job and the support to succeed and progress.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Please see attached a full job description setting out the details of the role and responsibilities.
We look forward to your application.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- MBBS or Equivalent
- Full GMC registration and license to practice
- FRCS or equivalent
- Completed a minimum of 12 years of medical work
- A minimum of 6 years in specialty doctor (or closed SAS grades)
- Evidence of thorough and broad training and experience in the specialty.
- Comprehensive knowledge in the specialty and ability to offer expert clinical opinion on range of problems
Research / AuditEssential
- Experience in Surgical SDEC and acute gallbladder surgery
- Experience in proctology
- Experience in laparoscopic surgical management of diverticular disease
- commitment to performing and understanding research and audit
- Ability to apply research outcomes to clinical and surgical problems
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Evidence of on-going involvement in research
- Experience in investigative research
- Experience as Principal Investigator, recruiting for national and international clinical trials
- Published research
Mid and South Essex NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.