Deputy Head of Midwifery
We have a very exciting opportunity for you to come and join our Maternity Leadership team as our Deputy Head of Midwifery.
In this role you will have an opportunity to lead and shape our maternity services moving forward in collaboration with our maternity team and Maternity Voices Partnership, in addition to setting your own personal development plan to achieve the experience and knowledge which will support you towards becoming a Head of Midwifery.
It is a fantastic time to join us at Milton Keynes, we have a supportive and compassionate team, we are committed to development, innovation, safety and quality of our services and the experience of our women, their families and our staff is a top priority.
We offer several educational and leadership development opportunities which will enable you to gain further experience as you lead on a dynamic and diverse portfolio within Maternity services with regular opportunities to gain strategic experience in a supportive environment.
The job description provides further information about this pivotal role within our service and if you have any questions or you would like to have an informal discussion, please do not hesitate to contact me Katie Selby - Maternity Governance and Quality Lead - email@example.com If you are ready for the next step in your Midwifery journey, we would welcome an application from you to take that next step at Milton Keynes Interview date: TBCMain duties of the job
The aim of the role is to enable and support senior leadership and development within maternity services in a challenging and dynamic environment with a clear vision and strategy for the provision of future maternity services.
The Deputy Head of Midwifery (DHoM) will have a key role in supporting the Head of Midwifery across the Local Maternity and Neonatal System and will develop key working relationships to support the delivery of national and regional requirements and recommendations which improve the safety and quality of maternity care.
The DHoM will develop and maintain strong links with the Maternity Voices Partnership (MVP) ensuring the collaboration and co-production of maternity services. Supporting identified provider, LMNS and MVP led workstreams to drive forward improvements in the experience of women and families
The DHoM will demonstrate visible and accessible leadership within maternity services with a coaching and mentoring approach to support the further development and experience of staff enabling innovation and resilience within the department.
The DHom will maintain operational oversight of the maternity services, acting as a direct support in the day to day management of maternity services whilst supporting the Head of Midwifery to respond to, develop and implement strategic direction within the maternity services.About us
You can expect a warm welcome at Milton Keynes University Hospital, our staff are friendly and welcoming. We listen to each other and work together to embed our Trusts values and behaviours. At MKUH we appreciate our staff and reward them with an outstanding benefits package including:
- Free on-site parking
- Free tea and coffee
- Great flexible workingopportunities
- Discounted gym membership
- Lease car scheme
- Generous annual leave and pension scheme
- On site nursery (chargeable)
- Extensive staff health and well-being programme
Milton Keynes University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, in partnership with the University of Buckingham, is a University Teaching Hospital we conduct research and teaching on site to improve the care of our patients. The hospital is undergoing significant investment, and we are proud to be rated good by the CQC. Visit our website to catch up on our latest news.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
To work in partnership with the Director of Midwifery, Divisional Management team and Clinical Directors to provide professional and operational leadership and management of the services, delivering a safe quality service while meeting financial targets by:
- Working closely with key partner organisations & stakeholders to ensure implementation of service developments and changes in line with Trust, local and national guidance.
- Provide leadership and direction to staff that work within womens services.
- Take a lead on the womens experience ensuring feedback is shared, lessons are learned and service improvements are implemented.
- To lead on a range of portfolios depending on the needs of the service working with the senior leadership team.
Professional and Clinical Leadership
- To efficiently manage, lead and develop a multi-disciplinary team, ensuring the provision of a safe, effective and progressive midwifery services to women
- Provide innovative and effective leadership and management to staff within the service to achieve continual improvement in service performance.
- To provide support and advice to matrons within all areas of responsibility, and as a visible leader assist them to develop the skills to assure the delivery of high quality care.
- Maintain a high profile in the clinical areas and be accessible to the women and their families.
Person SpecificationQualifications and knowledgeEssential
- Act as a professional role model to midwifery staff and other members of the clinical team by providing visible leadership and inspiring others through action and example, challenging traditional practices, encouraging innovation and problem solving that focuses on results putting women and their families at the centre of the service.
- Develop a culture where openness and a positive approach to learning, change management and continued professional development are attained.
- Registered midwife
- Degree in Midwifery or recognised alternative
- Masters Level qualification or evidence of post registration masters level study
- Evidence of recent and sustained professional development, relevant to the role
- Evidence of broad understanding of national midwifery policy
- Evidence of leadership development, training or course attendance and experience
- Understanding of the wider clinical governance framework and the application of this to drive improvements in maternity services
- Mentorship/ coaching qualification or applicable experience
- Project management and quality Improvement training/ qualification/ applicable experience
- Professional Midwifery Advocate
- Significant, demonstrated leadership experience in midwifery
- Experience in the management of disciplinary, capability and professional practice
- Demonstrated experience of managing teams
- Evidence of effective multi-disciplinary working
- Experience of change management and examples of its application
- Experience of collaborating with external partners including education leads, LMNS, CCG
- Completing written reports for presentation at Trust Board
- Supporting and contributing to enable the delivery of maternity requirements including CNST, CQC, Better Births
Personal and people developmentEssential
- Self motivated
- Courage to professionally challenge
- Ability to be adaptable, dependable and flexible approach to the role to meet the service need
- Innovative approach to midwifery
- Excellent presentation skills
- Broad and specialist knowledge in the provision of safe and effective clinical midwifery care
- Influencing skills
- Demonstrate effective time management skills
- Computer literate
- Facilitation and mentoring skills
- Ability to fully participate in the on call rota
- Self reflective
- Committed to working within the organisation and achieving departmental goals
- Ability to work on own initiative and engage with required agencies
- Tactful and diplomatic
- Ability to achieve deadlines, escalate concerns and work under pressure
- Adaptable and flexible
- Ability to motivate and lead
- Act as a role model for staff
- Ability to cope with resistance
- Car driver or able to travel to off site locations for clinics
- Appetite to pursue professional development
- Personal development objectives
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Ability to communicate with all team members/staff/families
- Ability to communicate at all levels with a culturally competent approach within the professional and other professions on a range of complex and sensitive issues requiring empathetic and persuasive skills
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Able to perform the duties of the post with reasonable aids and adaptations
Milton Keynes University Hospital NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Milton Keynes University Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.