An exciting opportunity has arisen to recruit a 1.0 WTE (Part-time applications will also be considered), 12 months' fixed term (or secondment for internal applicants) Clinical/Counselling Psychologist or Psychological Practitioner to join our Maternity Trauma and Loss Care (M-TLC) Service.
The service is aimed at supporting women and birthing people who are affected by pregnancy loss, still birth, neonatal loss, as well as birth trauma, and those who have a fear of childbirth (tokophobia). The service has been developed in conjunction with Experts by Experience drawing on the invaluable input of women and families locally who have faced maternity trauma and loss. It is intended to provide targeted care and support to those whose needs would not be well met in other services (e.g. Perinatal Mental Health Services or IAPT) but have significant emotional and mental health difficulties related to the maternity experience. The service offers women a combination of psychological therapy and specialist midwifery input.
The post holder will be a part of an MDT with dedicated psychological practitioners, midwives and peer support workers. They will provide trauma informed assessments and evidence-based interventions to women presenting to the service.Main duties of the job
The successful candidate will:
- Work across the three West London boroughs covered by the service
- Work as a member of an MDT and will provide a qualified clinical psychology service to women referred into or under the care of the tea
- Under the supervision of a senior psychological practitioner they will screen new referrals, provide specialist psychological assessment and trauma informed treatment to service users and support and signposting to their families/carers
- Be able to understand a number of psychological models and apply them in treatment with women and birthing people who have experienced trauma and/or loss related to the maternity context
- Using a psychological and trauma informed perspective, they will provide advice, and consultation on their care to non-psychology colleagues and to the professional network involved in treating and caring for women in maternity teams across the maternity services within the NWL footprint, i.e. West Middlesex, Chelsea & Westminster, St Mary's and Queen Charlottes & Chelsea and Hillingdon Hospitals
West London NHS Trust is one of the most diverse providers of mental health, community and social care in the UK.
Our 3,982 staff care for people in hospital and in the community, helping them to recover and go on to lead full and productive lives. We aim to be the best organisation of our kind in the country.
We provide care and treatment for more than 800,000 people living in the London boroughs of Ealing, Hammersmith & Fulham and Hounslow, delivering services in the community (at home, in GP surgeries and care homes), hospital, specialist clinics and forensic (secure) units.
We'rerated good overall by the Care Quality Commission (CQC).
Together, we're committed to promoting hope and wellbeing, working with patients, service users, carers, families and partners across the communities we serve.
We are keen to ensure that our workforce reflects the community it serves, particularly in terms of ethnicity, gender, disability, LGBTQ+ and experience of mental illness.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
For further information with regards to main role and responsibilities please see attached Candidate Pack.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Honours degree (2:1 minimum) in Psychology
- Full registration with the Health Professional Council
- Post-graduate doctorate in Clinical Psychology (or its equivalent for those trained prior to 1996) or equivalent in Counselling Psychology
- Qualification level that would allow acceptance as a BPS chartered clinical or BPS chartered clinical psychologist status or allow for full BABCP accredication
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Advanced keyboard skills and other related academic qualifications
- Perinatal Mental Health Training
- Training in Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing Therapy
West London NHS TrustAddress
Maternity Trauma & Loss Care Service
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.