Are you looking for an amazing opportunity to provide team continuity of care with no calls and hospital based?
We are seeking, innovative and flexible midwives that will work within our continuity of care team to excellent holistic care provide care to women and their families. North Middlesex Maternity: A career in Midwifery, not just a job.
A hospital based team with allocated long day/night shifts on the labour ward, including allocated clinic days within the hospital's antenatal clinic. We also offer flexibility of shifts, team working with great support, opportunities for further development and training. Best of all, there are NO on calls.
As a continuity of care midwife you will be working in a well-established team caring for a diverse population who have had one previous caesarean section.
Providing support to your clients by booking their pregnancy, providing team continuity in routine antenatal care, providing team continuity during intrapartum care on the labour ward, and following their journey through the postnatal period. Working alongside our multi-disciplinary team will allow you to look after each client's specific needs and follow their personal journey.Main duties of the job
Providing support to your clients by booking their pregnancy, providing team continuity care in routine antenatal care, providing team continuity during intrapartum care on the labour ward, and following their journey through the postnatal period. Working alongside our multi-disciplinary team will allow you to look after each client's specific needs and follow their personal journey.About us
Our Trust has staff accommodation in North London, and is situated within easy reach of London rail terminals, Luton and Stanstead airports, and central London. We are in Zone 4, making travel to work on public transport less expensive than going into central London, as well as offering on-site parking.
We currently look after 4800 births per year and book over 5000 women for antenatal care. Our improvements over the last 18 months have seen us receiving praise from NHS Improvement regarding our committed approach to supportive management. A CCG Insight visit noted the improvements in morale and culture, with staff reporting good support and a culture of learning rather than blame. .Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities Professional: Maintain a professional Portfolio. Maintain accurate and contemporaneous records at all times, both written and computerised. Administer and supply medicines under NPO/PGDs and Medicines Act of 1968 and North Middlesex University Hospital NHS Trust Medicines Policy. Actively promote the concept of total holistic woman centred care within the maternity services in both hospital and community. Advise on the promotion of health and education and social care and the prevention of illness. Recognise and appropriately manage complex physical, emotional and psychological situations that may be detrimental to the health and well-being of mother and baby. Devise and develop a plan of midwifery care based on assessment in association with mother, taking into account her individual personalised needs and preferences. Implement the plan of midwifery care and where appropriate co-ordinate other members of the multi-disciplinary team responsible for implementing specific aspects of the care. Review the effectiveness of the care provided, and where appropriate, initiates any further action that may be required, liaising with appropriate agencies. Acts at all time in accordance with the NMC Midwives Rules and Standards Code of Conduct (ensures working colleagues also act in accordance with Code of Conduct) and within the principles of the scope of professional practice and ensures other members of the team also work within these. Carry out midwifery procedures in accordance with Midwifery Guidelines, Policies and Standards. Undertakes and demonstrates midwifery and nursing tasks in the best interest of patient care and professional standards. This will include:
Attend In-service training sessions and professional study as appropriate to maintain awareness of new developments, following discussion with line manager/Supervisor of Midwives/Practice Development Midwife. Help to maintain a safe and efficient environment for the physical, social and psychological well-being of mothers, babies, and colleagues. Maintain a safe and sensitive environment. Maintain awareness of new developments and research in midwifery and the profession as a whole, contributing and reviewing new guidelines as appropriate. Awareness of the role of the midwife and management of complex social situations and life event situations, child protection, stillbirth and bereavement, domestic violence. Ability to manage a caseload of women with minimal support utilising planning and organisational skills. Undertakes the midwifery assessment of the woman/neonate including risk assessments e.g. tissue viability, falls.
- Abdominal palpation
- Delivery of baby
- Perineal suturing
- Obtaining specimens e.g. bodily fluids, wound swabs
- Administration of drugs e.g. oral, intravenous, subcutaneous, rectal and topical
- Vaginal examination
- Neonatal resuscitation
- Management of epidural anaesthesia
- Water birth
- Participate in shift pattern including weekdays, weekends, on calls and unsocial hours.
- Assist in proposing and implementing change.
- Participate in the multi-disciplinary decision making process regarding changes in patient care
- Demonstrate awareness of others emotional, physical and psychological situation and respond sensitively.
- Report to Team Leader or Team Manager accidents, incidents and complaints.
- Communicates effectively with patients and colleagues and facilitate a question and answer dialogue with patients and relatives.
- Communicate midwifery interventions to relatives and carers with rationale and be able to demonstrate listening skills and the use of non-verbal cues.
- Evaluate written information and documentation.
- Actively contribute to team discussions.
- Participate in the multi-disciplinary decision making process regarding changes in patient care Ensure a high standard of clinical care to patients.
- Keep patients involved in their treatment by providing information to patients.
- Identify any risks elements involved in the provision of health care.
- Update clinical skills so as to maintain professional development.
Personnel: To act as a role model in professional and personal attributes for all members of staff. To maintain IT skills to ensure accurate recording and retrieval of all patient information. Assist with induction programmes for newly appointed staff and act as a preceptor/mentor. Ensure that all learners are adequately supervised during their allocation and that they are given sufficient opportunity to gain the appropriate experience. Liaise closely with the Ward Sister on the progress of all learners. Maintain close liaison with the Practice Educators and Practice Development Midwife attached to the Maternity Unit. Monitor and actively support the work of Maternity Care Assistant staff within the Ward/Department to ensure that the highest professional standards are maintained.
Education: Is conversant with the current curricula from the University. Acts as a ward link with the University. Participate in the education of all grades of staff, liaising with the training department and the University. Acts as a mentor/assessor to students and assess their performance, liaising with the lecturers/Practice Educators where necessary. Acts as a preceptor to newly qualified or newly appointed staff. Maintain and enhance own knowledge through continuing education, training and research activities. Take part in an individual performance review, reviewing personal development and performance in consultation with the line manager
General: Promotes a positive ward image by a professional and helpful approach to all team members and visitors to the ward. Assist in other Wards/Departments as requested by the senior midwife on duty Undertake any other duties as requested by the Bleep Holder / Coordinator To be conversant with the fire and emergency procedures and moving and handling. Ensure infection control policies and procedures are adhered to and take remedial action when they are not. Adherence to the Uniform policy Commitment to the Service Standards and the 5 Patient Promises To fully adopt and encompass the Trusts Objectives, Service Standards and Code of Conduct into their daily working practices. To attend the mandatory training for the Trusts Service Standards thereby ensuring that you will be able to meet the agreed core objectives set within the Trusts appraisal system. Person SpecificationEducation and qualificationsEssential
- Registered Midwife
- Live Registration with NMC
Skills and abilitiesEssential
- Teaching/Assessing course (ENB 997 or equivalent)
- Parent Education (Triple P or equivalent)
- NIPE qualification
- Evidence of relevant clinical updating and/or post registration qualification
- Ability to practice autonomously and a part of a team
- Effective communication and good interpersonal skills
- Pro-active approach to practice development
- Demonstrate good (professional) decision making
- Demonstrate good (professional) decision making
- IV Cannulation
- Vene puncture
- Adult and neonatal resus
- Obstetric emergency skills
- Antental examinations
- IV drug administration
- Water birth/Homebirth
- Advanced Resus (NALS)
- Homeopathy/Acupuncture/Aromat herapy Reflexology
- Examination of newborn (1st day check)
- Post registration experience in high and low risk women in antenatal, intrapartum and postnatal care
- Experience in home birth and water birth
- Parenting education classes
- Teaching and assessing studies
- Use of water for labour and delivery
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Demonstrable ability to meet Trust values
North Middlesex University Hospital NHS TrustAddress
North Middlesex University Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.