To provide strategic financial and business support to the Clinical Chair, Managing Director, Assistant Chief Nurse of the MSK unit.Ensure that financial information is clearly available for decision making and aligned with colleagues ininformation and human resources.
Staff management as required ensuring regular appraisal and development opportunities
To be an active member of the Finance Directorate contributing to its development. Supporting the Head of Finance to ensure a first class financial management service is provided.Main duties of the job
Supporting the Clinical Chair, Managing Director, and the Assistant Chief Nurse in the MSK unit the post holder will be responsible for providing a comprehensive financial management and business support service .The post holder will be a key member of the Delivery Unit Management Team, providing a full range of financial and business related support.
This is a senior role where the post-holder works autonomously and spends the majority of his/her time working with service areas leading on major and highly complex financial and business related issues.
The post-holder will operate autonomously in the interpretation of policies, guidance and accounting standards to support management in the decision making process within the context of corporate and strategic objectives, ensuring adherence to financial controls.
The post-holder will be required to contribute advanced theoretical and practical accounting and business knowledge, strong analytical skills, and effectively communicate highly complex finance issues and options to a range of financial and non-finance members of staff including senior managers and clinicians.
The post holder will be professionally accountable to the Head of Finance and be supported by the assistant business partners within the financial management team.About usThe Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic NHS Trust (RJAH)
is one of the leading orthopaedic hospitals in the country, with some of the highest levels of staff and patient satisfaction, as well as a strong reputation for research and innovation.
Joining RJAH is more than just a job - we want our people to have the best opportunities to thrive in their role.We have a range of fantastic staff benefits on offer to everyone who joins RJAH and you'll have access to outstanding professional development opportunities and state-of-the-art facilities - including our recently-opened �6 million Headley Court Veterans' Orthopaedic Centre (the first unit of its kind in the UK).RJAH has strong links with a range of universities including Staffordshire, Keele, Glyndwr, Chester and Birmingham.The hospital is located on a site outside Oswestry in Oswestry, just off the A5. The nearest train station is in Gobowen, approximately two miles from the hospital. The station is part of the Chester to Birmingham line.We are based in North Shropshire, close to the border with North and Mid Wales. It is one of the most attractive parts of the country, with a rich historic culture and excellent transport links. It offers outstanding opportunities for anyone who enjoys an outdoor lifestyle or is looking to raise a family.Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesStrategic Financial and Business Support
Be a key member of the Management Team in the provision of financial and business support to the Clinical Chair, Managing Director, Chief Nurse and their management teams but also contributing on a wider basis.Ensure regular provision of accurate financial information to inform Delivery Unit level decision-making forums, including formal reports and presentations linking and interpreting financial, activity and performance management information.Develop strong relationships with clinicians and managers maintaining a culture of shared responsibility for financial issues.Provide professional expert knowledge and guidance ensuring that the management team is fully abreast of current NHS and Trust developmentsTo present complex financial information ensuring complex financial concepts are conveyed clearly and persuasively.Support the Management Team, to ensure that the following are developed- a medium term financial strategy and plan for the Service Area- a medium term Cost Efficiency Programme to support the financial strategy- capacity plans with delivery unit managers ensuring links between physical capacity, human and financial resources- Delivery Unit Business PlanSupport the Head of Financial Management in the continued engagement and use of Service LineReporting and Patient Level Costing Information. Support the development and training programme for senior managers and clinicians in the Services Area to improve SLR, financial, business management and commercial awareness Provide a First Class Financial Management Service
Ensure that formal and informal training, advice and guidance is provided to relevant staff on StandingFinancial Instructions and other financial and business management issues.Ensure that the process of annual budget setting for the Delivery Unit is delivered within the agreed framework and timescales set by the Head of Financial Management.Ensure that expenditure trends / budgetary performance and forecast information is provided on a monthly basis, identifying significant variances and service issues for budget holders and advising them appropriately.Working closely with the Head of Income and Contracts ensure that income and activity information is reported clearly to the delivery units in alignment with expenditure with sufficient knowledge of driversand tariff to support the managing director on day to day issues.Ensure that information and analysis is provided on a monthly or other required basis to contribute to Trust financial reports.Ensure that financial risks are monitored and risk minimisation strategies developed. It will be necessary to make judgments on financial risk and forecasts to inform the financial forecast position.Ensure that financial and information systems within the service area and the wider Trust are introduced, adapted and improved to assist budget holders and management in decision making and strategic planning.Support the development and maintenance of benchmarking and costing apportionments / information to support the business including the production of Reference Costs for relevant service lines. Business Development
Lead on the Financial verification of invoicing from Limited Liability Partnerships ensuring that contract rules are applied, demonstrating pragmatic and robust influencing skills on complex points of negotiation. Providing financial and wider advice on the renewal of contracts to support the delivery of the Trust objectives.
Responsible for ensuring that Service Level Agreements for the Delivery Unit are up to date and delivering value for money. Support the managing Director Lead on negotiating favourable financial rates with external providers, wider assurance and delivery of Service Level Agreements.
- Advise accordingly, the Head of Financial Management and Planning / Head of Finance on proposed service changes / developments to ensure developments are achievable, financially viable and in line with strategies and plans.- Provide advice and support on the operational impact of tenders for business opportunities.- Identify opportunities to improve and maximise income and work proactively to maximise these opportunities.- Assist in the development and production of highly complex business cases, generating options for investment, appraisal of the options and identification of project resources- Support delivery unit managers with the development, monitoring and value for money on Service Level Agreements.- Input into a range project groups leading on financial, business and commercial input issues- Ensure that a full range of costing, benchmarking and market information is available and used to support the development of the business.- Leads and motivate a team, communicates clearly and openly, creating a sense of trust and encouraging two-way discussion/dialogue.- Ensures the work completed by Team members is completed to time and quality requirements andensure members of team are regularly appraised- Identify the training needs of the team members and ensure Personal Development Plans are in place.- Participate in finance staff training & development activities- Produce monthly Trust Board and Committee reports- Represent the Finance Directorate contributing to and participating in Trust wide projects and groups to provide a range of financial and business management support- Identifies and takes responsibility for own development and helps to develop others.- Responsible for the development and implementation of policies and procedures in specific sphere of control and the wider Finance Directorate and Trust- Support the development, improvement and implementation of financial information systems inspecific sphere of control and the wider Finance Directorate- Contribute as necessary in audit reviews, undertaken by Internal and External Audit- Participate in the undertaking of surveys to access the effectiveness of the service provided by the Directorate to the TrustThe range of duties outlined above is not exhaustive and are subject to modification in light of changing service needs. In addition to the above the post holder may be required to undertake other duties which fall within the grade of the job, in discussion with the manager.
Take personal responsibility for maximising opportunities to improve the use of resources and the quality of services.
Take personal responsibility to learn lessons and share them across the Directorate, Trust and the wider health economy building improvements into future plans.
Offer creative and dynamic leadership to enable the delivery of effective transformational programmes and subsequent service improvement.
Be a visible leader within the organisation and an ambassador for the Trust
Actively engage with, and seek views of staff and key stakeholders to influence and improve financialand contractual practices across the Trust
Develop and maintain effective business partner relationships with Trust senior managers, clinicians andkey stakeholders including commissioners and regulators
Build and maintain effective relationships across organisational boundaries to drive efficiencies andproductivity across the wider health economy
Behave consistently with the values and beliefs of the organisation and promotes these on day to daybasis.
Behave consistently with the NHS Code of Conduct for Managers
Maintain emotional resilience and maturity with the occasionally exposure to highly distressing or highlyemotional circumstances for example in the conduct of serious disciplinary cases.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- CCAB fully qualified Accountant (equivalent to a Masters level degree)
- Significant evidence of on-going post qualification development and training
Knowledge & ExperienceEssential
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
Skills and AbilitiesEssential
- Experience in Management Accounting, Reporting and Planning
- Demonstrable experience of managing and developing a team of staff, undertaking recruitment and selection, training and performance management
- Proven track record of clearly and persuasively conveying sensitive, complex and contentious information to individuals
- Experience of leading complex financial appraisals
- Experience of leading and supporting strategic financial decision making within a large organisation and successfully initiating and leading change
- Experience of introducing systems and process which enable services to develop in line with governance and risk requirements
- Experience in influencing, negotiating and communicating at senior level and with external organisations, and of building successful partnership working arrangement
- Ability to innovate, build and motivate teams to deliver clear outcomes and improve the Finance Function and associated systems
- Ability to use own judgement often in difficult circumstances or when under pressure due to conflicting opinion or where complex information is provided
- Ability to negotiate with multiple NHS and non NHS organisations where significant costs and/or potential impact on services is involved
- In depth professional knowledge of the NHS Finance regime, including budgeting, financial planning and modelling
- Management accounting experience advising and influencing leaders and managers
- Ability to communicate highly complex financial issues effectively, both verbally and in writing, to people within and outside the organisation
- Highly developed numerate and analytical skills with good working knowledge of IT systems (Microsoft Excel and general ledger packages)
- Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.