Are you ready to unlock your potential within a challenging, creative and fast paced work environment? Do you want to escape your current job role and work with people to build positive and productive lives, whatever their past? Now is the time to breakinto offender healthcare and develop your career.
As part of the South West Prison Healthcare contract awarded to Oxleas NHS trust in 2022, we are able to expand recruitment and are looking for 2
compassionate, knowledgeable and motivated Senior Nurses
to join our friendly team at HMP Channings Wood
Our healthcare team have a real impact on promoting health and well-being to those in prison and we pride ourselves on using skills and strategies that instil hope for patients future resettlement back into the community. We directly deliver Mental Health, Physical Health, Pharmacy and Clinical Substance Misuse in an integrated healthcare delivery model to provide effective and responsive care to improve wellbeing and support better outcomes in the future.
As part of our primary care
team, you will enjoy all the benefits of NHS AfC employment (inc pension) with the opportunity to work within a forward-thinking service, who encourage career and personal development to all staff to increase their clinical and interpersonal skills.Main duties of the job
As a senior nurse you will provide high quality primary care services and a range of specialist interventions for offenders. At HMP Channings Wood, we deliver a nurse-led integrated primary care service and operate a specialist practice-based clinical model of care.
You will maintain an effective case management service to ensure care and continuity of treatment is maintained throughout a patient care pathway whilst detained in prison. You will be required to ensure all clinics and consultations are delivered in a clinically effective and timely way and implement strategies designed to promote and improve health and prevent disease whilst in prison.
As a senior member of staff, you will be responsible for the day-to-day co-ordination of the Healthcare Team, supporting junior colleagues and ensure systems are in place for clinical supervision to junior team members. Working Hours:
7 shifts per fortnight. 12.15pm-11pm with a 45 minute break. Every other weekend. Hours will equate to full-time (37.5 per week).About us
Oxleas offers a wide range of NHS healthcare services to people in community and secure environment settings. We are the largest NHS provider of prison health services providing healthcare to prisons within Devon, Dorset, Bristol, Wiltshire and Gloucestershire, Kent and South London.
Our healthcare departments operate across three prisons in the Devon cluster each of which require a bespoke service responding to the prisoner and prison needs:
- HMP Channings Wood - Cat C - Population = 731
- HMP Dartmoor - Cat C - Population = 659
- HMP Exeter - Cat B (Remand) - Population = 412
Oxleas are the lead provider across 10 South West prisons and operate in Bristol, South Gloucestershire, Wiltshire and Dorset in addition to the above.
Our wider services include community health care such as district nursing and speech and language therapy, care for people with learning disabilities and mental health care such as psychiatry, nursing and therapies. Our 4,300 members of staff work in many different settings including hospitals, clinics, prisons, secure hospitals, children's centres, schools and people's homes.We have over 125 sites in a variety of locations in the South of England.
Our purpose is to improve lives by providing the best possible care to our patients and their families. This is strengthened by our new values:
Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- We're Kind
- We're Fair
- We Listen
- We Care
Person SpecificationEducationEssential Experience & SkillsEssential
- The post holder will exercise a high degree of personal and professional autonomy and have the ability to plan and reach complex and critical judgments and have decision making skills.
- To deliver high quality clinical care within the Integrated Healthcare Service for the prison. This will include acute & primary care, long term conditions management, enhanced assessment and diagnostic intervention services and health promotion activities and be in line with the NHS Plan, public health indicators and National Service Frameworks.
- To demonstrate and provide robust expert clinical skills with a sound understanding of evidence-based nursing practice to provide a pro-active approach to ensure quality and outcome driven practice on a day-to-day basis.
- To support the development of evidence-based practice in the specialist field and to promote research as appropriate.
- To participate in managerial and professional clinical supervision programme, to ensure junior staff receive appropriate supervision, training and annual appraisal and to ensure that it becomes an integral part of team practice.
- To ensure the implementation of effective and appropriate patient centred care planning tools, long-term condition registers and consistent delivery throughout all the prisons within the service.
- The post holder will work collaboratively with the Clinical Lead, GPs, and other clinicians to meet and review service needs as required
- To deputise for the Team manager as required
- To work positively and effectively in a difficult and often hostile environment.
- Be aware of environmental hazards in the working area ensure staffs are aware of relevant health & safety policies deriving from the Health & Safety at Work Act.
- To work in accordance with Trust policies and guidelines
- To be familiar with Prison Standards, Standing Orders, Circular instructions, Notices to Staff, Health and Safety and all other relevant material to function as an informed practitioner within a prison setting.
- Promote equality of opportunity and provide an environment in which the dignity of individuals is respected and free from workplace harassment and bullying.
- Previous Nursing experience
- Experience of multi-professional collaboration
- Ability to work effectively and autonomously
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Experience of working within secure & prison settings
Oxleas NHS Foundation TrustAddress
HMP Channings Wood
Greenhill Ln, Denbury
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.