North Middlesex Maternity: A career in Midwifery, not just a job. Birth centre Midwife Midwifery-led Birth Centre
We are looking for talented, enthusiastic midwives to work in our midwifery led birth unit. We can also offer the opportunity to work within different teams and would encourage applicants to consider a hybrid model of working across two areas. For example:
- Labour Ward and Community
- Birth Centre and Labour Ward
- Triage and Labour Ward
- Triage and Birth Centre
- Birth Centre and Community
Our midwives are supported in their learning and development to help them to reach their full potential. This includes secondment opportunities within specialist teams, experiential learning, leadership and Chief Nurse fellowship programmes. Our department is currently piloting the Talent Management programme to make sure our staff are supported to achieve their ambitions.Main duties of the job
We are looking for skilled midwives to work in our intrapartum services on the birth centre to provide a high standard of safe and individualised care to women/birthing people and their families.
We are looking for midwives who are experienced in all aspects of intrapartum care who can flex across the different intrapartum areas. We would also welcome experienced midwives who are looking to return to intrapartum work.
The role will include support of women and their partners during all aspects of labour and birth including induction of labour, support and pain relief in labour, facilitation of birth (including water birth) and support during operative or instrumental birth. Care of the newborn and mother following delivery and personalised infant feeding support.
The role may also include bereavement care, care for high and low -risk women, care for women with poor mental health and management of safeguarding concerns.
The role will also include supporting and assessing student midwives and supporting newly qualified midwives, junior staff and new starters. As with all posts within maternity you may be required to rotate to a different clinical area within the department.About us
North Middlesex University Hospital NHS Hospital Trust (NMUH) is one of London's busiest healthcare providers, providing hospital care and community services for the 350,000 people living in Enfield, Haringey and beyond.
Our specialist services include HIV, cardiology, blood disorders, diabetes, fertility, sickle cell and thalassemia. In addition to a full range of cancer diagnosis and treatment services, the Helen Rollason Cancer Support Centre is based on-site and provides services to support cancer patients' wellbeing.
We also provide community services and have a dedicated 0-19 service for children and young people in Enfield so that they can get the best possible start in life. This includes health visitors and school nurses who are delivering the national Healthy Child Programme, which provides a structured framework for the delivery of key interventions to support the health and wellbeing of children and families from 0 to 5 and school aged children from 5-19. The 0-19 service aims to improve pathways and partnerships with services in the hospital and deliver excellent care for the children and families.
For more information, please access the following link: https://www.northmid.nhs.uk/Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesDuties and responsibilities:Professional:
1. Maintain a professional Portfolio.2. Maintain accurate and contemporaneous records at all times, both written and computerised.3. Administer and supply medicines under NPO/PGDs and Medicines Act of 1968 and North Middlesex University Hospital NHS Trust Medicines Policy.4. Actively promote the concept of total holistic woman centred care within the maternity services in both hospital and community.5. Advise on the promotion of health and education and social care and the prevention of illness.6. Recognise and appropriately manage complex physical, emotional and psychological situations that may be detrimental to the health and well-being of mother and baby.7. Devise and develop a plan of midwifery care based on assessment in association with mother, taking into account her individual personalised needs and preferences.8. Implement the plan of midwifery care and where appropriate co-ordinate other members of the multi-disciplinary team responsible for implementing specific aspects of the care.9. Review the effectiveness of the care provided, and where appropriate, initiates any further action that may be required, liaising with appropriate agencies.10. Acts at all time in accordance with the NMC Midwives Rules and Standards Code of Conduct (ensures working colleagues also act in accordance with Code of Conduct) and within the principles of the scope of professional practice and ensures other members of the team also work within these.11. Carry out midwifery procedures in accordance with Midwifery Guidelines, Policies and Standards. Undertakes and demonstrates midwifery and nursing tasks in the best interest of patient care and professional standards. This will include: Abdominal palpation Delivery of baby Perineal suturing Obtaining specimens e.g. bodily fluids, wound swabs Administration of drugs e.g. oral, intravenous, subcutaneous, rectal and topical Vaginal examination Neonatal resuscitation Venepuncture Cannulation Management of epidural anaesthesia Water birth12. Attend In-service training sessions and professional study as appropriate to maintain awareness of new developments, following discussion with line manager/Supervisor of Midwives/Practice Development Midwife.13. Help to maintain a safe and efficient environment for the physical, social and psychological well-being of mothers, babies, and colleagues.14. Maintain a safe and sensitive environment.15. Maintain awareness of new developments and research in midwifery and the profession as a whole, contributing and reviewing new guidelines as appropriate.16. Awareness of the role of the midwife and management of complex social situations and life event situations, child protection, stillbirth and bereavement, domestic violence.17. Ability to manage a caseload of women with minimal support utilising planning and organisational skills.18. Undertakes the midwifery assessment of the woman/neonate including risk assessments e.g. tissue viability, falls. Administration:
1. Manage the Ward/Department in the absence of the Sister2. Ensure that all nursing and administrative policies and procedures a within North Middlesex University Hospital NHS Trust are adhered to.3. Ensure that the best use is made of available manpower at all times and that staff are deployed with due consideration to their qualifications and experience.4. Ensure that the Ward/Department is maintained in good order and to a high standard, that supplies are adequate, and that all equipment is safe.5. Ensure that the appropriate and efficient use of supplies is made and exercise economy in the use of consumables.6. Share the responsibility for the day to day running of the Ward with other trained staff, including covering the duty roster.7. Liaise continuously with the Ward Sister/ Clinical Midwife Specialist/Head Midwife and ensure that effective communication systems are maintained within the Ward/Department.8. Liaises appropriately with the Bleep Holder9. Under the guidance of the Midwifery Sister draw up duty rotas.10. In the absence of the Midwifery Sister report all absenteeism, lateness and sickness to the Maternity bleep holder.11. Takes all measures to ensure the safety of the woman reporting all accidents and incidents, completing relevant documentation and undertakes further investigation as directed.12. In the absence of the Sister to manage the process for the deployment of staff in the event of sickness, ensuring that staff are deployed with due consideration to their qualifications and experience. Personnel:
1. To act as a role model in professional and personal attributes for all members of staff.2. To maintain IT skills to ensure accurate recording and retrieval of all patient information.3. Assist with induction programmes for newly appointed staff and act as a preceptor/mentor.4. Ensure that all learners are adequately supervised during their allocation and that they are given sufficient opportunity to gain the appropriate experience.5. Liaise closely with the Ward Sister on the progress of all learners. 6. Maintain close liaison with the Practice Educators and Practice Development Midwife attached to the Maternity Unit.7. Monitor and actively support the work of Maternity Care Assistant staff within the Ward/Department to ensure that the highest professional standards are maintained.8. Provide training and guidance to Maternity Care Assistant and junior staff as necessary.9. To actively participate in the recruitment process.10. Undertakes the Individual Performance Review of qualified and unqualified staff in the ward, develop personal development plans with those staff and feed back to the Ward Sister.11. Participate in the appropriate on-call rota dependent on allocation within the maternity services. Education:
1. In conjunction with the Ward Sister, maintain a suitable learning environment for all grades of staff according to the University guidelines.2. Ensure that qualified staff understand the educational objectives of all grades of staff.3. Is conversant with the current curricula from the University. Acts as a ward link with the University.4. Participate in the education of all grades of staff, liaising with the training department and the University.5. Acts as a mentor/assessor to students and assess their performance, liaising with the lecturers/Practice Educators where necessary. Acts as a preceptor to newly qualified or newly appointed staff.6. Encourages and supports staff development.7. Maintain and enhance own knowledge through continuing education, training and research activities.8. Take part in an individual performance review, reviewing personal development and performance in consultation with the Ward Sister. Quality and Development:
1. Initiate and participate in audits and CNST as required2. Facilitate clinical audits undertaken within the ward.3. Identify possible changes in practice in the ward environment and plan and manage the change process.4. In the absence of the ward sister, ensure that any complaints are dealt with professionally in a timely manner according to Trust policy.5. Participate in working groups and/or projects within the Trust.6. Takes responsibility for the audit of defined midwifery standard(s) General:
1. Promotes a positive ward image by a professional and helpful approach to all team members and visitors to the ward.2. Assist in other Wards/Departments as requested by the senior midwife on duty3. Undertake any other duties as requested by the Bleep Holder / Coordinator4. Initiate and undertake approved clinical nursing research and audit with the Ward/Department.5. To be conversant with the fire and emergency procedures and moving and handling.6. Assist the Ward Sister to maintain a safe, clean, pleasant and therapeutic environment taking remedial action when necessary.7. Assist the Ward Sister in ensuring infection control policies and procedures are adhered to and take remedial action when they are not.8. Adherence to the Uniform policyCommitment to the Service Standards and the 5 Patient PromisesTo fully adopt and encompass the Trusts Objectives, Service Standards and Code of Conduct into their daily working practices.
To attend the mandatory training for the Trusts Service Standards thereby ensuring that you will be able to meet the agreed core objectives set within the Trusts appraisal system.Person SpecificationEducation and qualificationsEssential
- Registered Midwife
- Live Registration with NMC
Skills and abilitiesEssential
- oEvidence of post-register study
- oTeaching/Assessing course (Mentorship/SSSA/ENB 997 or equivalent)
- oParent Education (Triple P or equivalent)
- oManagement course
- oEvidence of relevant clinical updating and/or post registration qualification
- NIPE Qualificiation
- To practice autonomously
- Effective communication and good interpersonal skills
- Computer skills necessary for input/output of client data and for communication with colleagues
- Demonstrate good (professional) decision making
- Flexible in work environment.
- Pro-active approach to practice development
- Perineal suturing
- Epidural top-up
- IV Cannulation
- Use of and interpretation of CTG
- Adult and neonatal resus
- Drug calculations
- Obstetric emergency skills
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.