To receive, within a single point of access system, referrals via GP for people with a possible or suspected diagnosis of dementia.
To undertake a culturally sensitive, comprehensive generic assessment and diagnosis of dementia.
To deliver pre and post diagnostic counselling, to include disclosure of the outcome of the assessment to the person (and their family if appropriate), including the sharing of diagnosis and its potential implications.
To contribute to the maintenance and ongoing development of standards of clinical practice within the Memory Assessment Service (MAS), participating in service evaluation.
To signpost to other services and contribute to a seamless pathway to secondary mental health services (including the Dementia Home Treatment Team) where these are indicated.
Delivering integrated care in partnership with other local health, social care and voluntary organisations.
To deliver a range of therapeutic interventions to groups of people with recent diagnosis of dementia.
In return for your skills and expertise we can offer you a variety of rewarding challenges, continued training and development and the opportunity to work within a friendly and supportive team.Main duties of the job
We are looking to appoint an enthusiastic, motivated nurse with excellent communication and clinical skills to join our Memory Assessment Service in North Powys . You must be enthusiastic, self-motivated, flexible in approach and able to work as part of a multidisciplinary team. You will possess excellent communication skills, a sound clinical knowledge base and a commitment to caring for patients utilising a Person-Centred philosophy
Based in North Powys , you will be integral in implementing the Dementia Action Plan for Wales. As part of the team, you will be required to carry out assessments, plan support, signpost and give advice to others on the care and treatment of people referred to the Memory Service. Additionally, you will be involved in the introduction and monitoring of memory enhancing medication.
We are committed to exploring innovative ways of working to enhance patient experience. We know that our success depends on the commitment and dedication of our staff and we aim to recruit and retain the best staff possible.About us
Powys is cited as being a wonderful place to live and work a rural health setting where you can personally and professionally grow, where patients are at the heart of care provision. If you are an ambitious professional in search of job satisfaction, Powys is the place to be. Whatever your career aspirations, we are committed to supporting and developing you.
Powys Teaching Health Board is responsible for meeting the health and wellbeing needs of the population of Powys. Powys is the largest county in Wales with Snowdonia to the North and the Brecon Beacons to the South, the spectacular scenery is something to behold. Working in partnership, we commission and provide award-winning hospital, community, mental health and learning disability services, so our portfolio is varied and diverse. We are proud to offer patients an unrivalled level of care and range of careers for professionals who want to make a real difference. Did you know - Powys Teaching Health Board accepts applications to retire and return from within the NHS in Wales. If you would like to know more, please contact the Powys Teaching Health Board Workforce team on 01874 712580 or firstname.lastname@example.org Step into Health connects employers in the NHS to people from the Armed Forces community. Job descriptionJob responsibilities
The ability to speak Welsh is desirable for this post English and/or Welsh speakers are equally welcome to apply.
You will be able to find a full Job description and Person Specification attached within the supporting documents or please click Apply now to view in Trac.Person SpecificationQualifications / Skills and KnowledgeEssential
- Professional qualification in Mental Health Nursing RMN
- Current registration with governing professional body
- Knowledge and skills in the use of relevant rating scales associated with memory/ cognitive assessment and management
- Knowledge and skills around multidisciplinary memory clinic interventions
- Understanding of outcome measures
- Relevant qualifications in dementia specific work
- Advanced keyboard skills
- Knowledge of a range of community agency facilities
- Knowledge and skills in specific therapeutic approaches relevant to this client group
- Detailed knowledge of health legislation and current practice in respect of risk assessment and risk management
- Significant post registration mental health experience, including experience working with older people in a mental health setting
- Experience of and commitment to multidisciplinary/multi-agency working
- Able to demonstrate autonomous working and management of own caseload
- Experience in maintaining systems to measure performance
- Delivery of clinical training in relation to specialism
Aptitude and AbilitiesEssential
- Post registration experience in a community setting
- Appropriate post qualification in older people's mental health or community mental health
- Experience of providing clinical supervision to junior staff / consultation for other professionals/ agencies
- Experience of policy development and procedures
- Ability to organise and respond effectively to complex information
- Evidence of continuing professional development and commitment to lifelong learning
- Good organisational skills, able to plan and prioritise own workload and activities, and to coordinate with other colleagues and agencies
- Excellent communication skills and able to communicate sensitive and complex information, and to overcome barriers to communication
- Ability to work under pressure
- Computer literacy
- Ability to reflect and critically appraise own performance
- Excellent reporting writing and presentation skills adopting local process
- Able to communicate effectively within a highly emotive environment
- Self-awareness and emotional resilience when faced with difficult and demanding clinical situations
- Ability to communicate effectively with multi agency colleagues at all levels including negotiation and conflict skills
- Ability to build effective working relationships and networks
Values and otherEssential
- Good analytical skills to review data
- Ability to provide operational advice and guidance both within and across agencies
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Ability to travel in a timely manner
- Flexible approach to the needs of the service, adaptable and innovative in approach to work
- Ability to travel across the Health Board area
Powys Teaching Health BoardAddress
Fan Gorau, Newtown
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.