The critical care department at GSTT has an international reputation for clinical excellence and a prominent research profile. As well as serving the local population we provide tertiary critical care to South East London, South East England and nationally. The ICU provides all modalities of multi organ support and monitoring and use state-of-the-art technology. The ICU has a comprehensive electronic health record.
The critical care directorate comprises six clinical areas and totals 75 beds at the St Thomas' site. There are 39 level 3 beds in the East Wing of the hospital (15 on EW1 ICU, 13 on EW2 ICU and 11 on EW6 ICU), an overnight intensive recovery unit (11 level 3 beds staffed by anaesthetists), a medical HDU on East Wing level 10 (15 level 2 beds) and cardiovascular surgical HDU (10 level 2 beds) on East Wing level 8. At the Guy's site, there are 13 level 2/3 beds on the Guys Critical Care Unit (GCCU).
We are one of the largest severe respiratory failure centres in Europe by case load. The service was commissioned in 2012. The severe respiratory failure service uses conventional ventilation techniques, extracorporeal membrane oxygenation and extracorporeal carbon dioxide removal. It includes a 24/7 consultant-led ECMO/severe respiratory failure retrieval service. We conduct around 100-150 ECMO retrievals annually. There is a growing severe cardiac failure programme including an ECMO programme for the management of reversible cardiogenic shock and eCPR.Main duties of the job
- The SRF research fellow will provide direct clinical care (50%) and research activities (50%).
- Full training in all aspects of advanced respiratory support will be provided. This will include but not be limited to conventional ventilation, including airway pressure release ventilation (APRV), ventilation in the prone position, use of nitric oxide, ECMO and ECCO2R. Training will include theoretical sessions, water circuit training, high and low fidelity simulation and bedside training.
- Clinical duties will include, but is not limited to:
- Participating in the clinical management of patients requiring, ECMO and ECCO2R.
- Preparing and presenting cases at the weekly SRF meeting, and coordinating and documenting discussions at the meeting
- Participating in the follow-up of patients who have received advanced respiratory support
- Participating in the retrieval of patients referred for severe respiratory failure assessment and support
- Contributing to the general clinical workload of the ICU, and acting as senior team leader on site out of hours, supporting more junior members of the team.
Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust comprises five of the UK's best known hospitals - Guy's, St Thomas', Evelina London Children's Hospital, Royal Brompton and Harefield - as well as community services in Lambeth and Southwark, all with a long history of high quality care, clinical excellence, research and innovation.
We are among the UK's busiest, most successful Foundation Trusts. We provide specialist care for patients including heart and lung, cancer and renal services as well as a full range of local hospital and community services for people in Lambeth and Southwark.
We have a long tradition of clinical and scientific achievement and - as part of King's Health Partners - we are one of England's eight academic health sciences centres, bringing together world-class clinical services, teaching and research. We have one of the National Institute for Health Research's biomedical research centres, established with King's College London in 2007, as well as dedicated clinical research facilities.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
The rota is fully compliant with the new junior doctors contract. The SRF research fellows will provide either daytime cover to the SRF patients (0830 2130), night time cover to SRF patients (2030 0930) and 24 hr retrieval cover (with compensatory rest) for 50% of their allocated time. The remaining 50% will be spent undertaking research activities. Fellows will work on average 48 hours per week. Other responsibilities Clinical:
The postholder will, together with colleagues, be responsible for the provision of services to the Guys & St Thomas NHS Foundation Trust to include:
(a) Diagnosis and treatment of patients of the trust in such hospitals, health centres or clinics or other premises as required.
(b) Continuing clinical responsibility for the patients in your charge, allowing for all proper delegation to, and training of, your staff. Training of junior staff:
The postholder will take responsibility for the training and direction of the multi-disciplinary staff allocated to him/her under the aegis of the training plan that that postholder has agreed with their supervising consultant.Person SpecificationQualifications/ EducationEssential
- MBBS or equivalent medical qualification
- FRCA/MRCP/MRCS or equivalent qualification
- DICM/EDIC or equivalent qualification in intensive care medicine
Professional/ Statutory RegistrationEssential
- Experience with advanced respiratory life support therapies
- Demonstrable research experience
- Demonstrable teaching experience
- Eligible for full registration with licence to practice with the GMC at time of appointment
- Eligibility to work in the UK
- Ability to provide a complete employment history with no unexplained career gaps
- Evidence that career progression is consistent with personal circumstances
- Evidence that present achievement and performance is commensurate with totality of period of training
- Minimum 18 months substantive experience in intensive care medicine
- Valid adult life support (ALS) certification
- Airway skills (minimum 12 months substantive anaesthesia)
- Inter-hospital ventilated patient retrieval skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for a wide range of audiences
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including confident and comfortable interaction with trial participants, clinical and research team members, and the broader research community
Employer detailsEmployer name
- 24 months substantive experience in anaesthesia
- Fluent use of IT including email, word processing, spreadsheet, database
- Expertise in statistics and data analysis
- Knowledge of experimental techniques and study design
- GCP certification
Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation TrustAddress
St Thomas' Hospital
Westminster Bridge Road
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.