We are looking for a committed and enthusiastic Consultant Psychiatrist in OPMH to join our inpatient team at Parklands Hospital in Basingstoke, Mid & North Hampshire Division, Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust.
This is an established post in the Mid and North Division of Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust. We are looking for an enthusiastic Consultant OPMH Psychiatrist who will provide clinical leadership and work as part of an estab-lished multi-disciplinary inpatient mental health team working with older peo-ple and their families. There are two OPMH inpatient wards -- an organic ward (Elmwood ward) and a functional ward (Beechwood ward).
The post holder will work with the MDT including nursing staff, health care support workers, occupational therapists and the psychology team. The OPMH inpatient medical team consistent of two Consultant Psychiatrists, a Specialist doctor, a higher trainee and three junior doctors.
The range of specialist OPMH services in North and Mid Hampshire includes in-patient wards, CMHT for older people, Memory Assessment Service, Care Home in-reach and OPMH Liaison Psychiatry.
The post holder will undertake 7.5 Programmed Activities of Direct Clinical Care within inpatient OPMH team (supported by 2.5 Supporting Programmed Activities) on Beechwood ward.Main duties of the job
The Post Holder will be based at Parkland Hospital with allocated office space, appropriate IT facilities including a PC/laptop, network connections and access to IT training if required.
The Older People's Mental Health Service considers the inpatient bed provision as a countywide resource. Both functional and organic beds are provided for at Parklands Hospital, or elsewhere depending on need.
Liaison Services: There is a dedicated liaison service provided at the North Hampshire Hospitals.
ECT: ECT is given twice weekly (Monday and Friday mornings) at Parklands Hospital in the ECT suite by a dedicated team. TMS is available through referral to the neuromodulation/ECT service in Southampton.
CMHT: The CMHT provides assessment and follow up for those requiring community mental health care who are over 65, have clinical needs related to frailty best met by OPMH or who have dementia.
The Community Mental Health Team consists of the medical team (2 consultant Psychiatrists, one specialty doctor and one core trainee), a full-time team leader and a team of multi-disciplinary professionals consisting of community mental health nurses, psychologist, memory nurse specialists and an occupational therapist. In addition, the clinical team are well supported by health care support workers and secretarial/administrative staff. Team members carry out assessments of new referrals, in addition to therapeutic interventions, and follow up.About us
Are you committed to providing remarkable care and service?
Are you passionate about helping people and want to make a difference every day?
We want to meet you!
Southern Health is one of the largest Foundation Trusts in the UK, specialising in mental health, adult and child community health and learning disabilities. We are committed to promoting the welfare and safeguarding of children, young people and adults at risk of abuse and neglect through our 6,500 strong workforce.
Southern Health has over 300 sites across the county and we serve 1.5 million people throughout all stages of their lives. Our aim is to work alongside the people we support (and our health and care partners) to deliver the best possible care and constantly improve.
Here at SHFT we have so much to be proud of:
- Working as a team and supporting each other, we put patients and our staff at the heart of everything we do.
- We have a skilled and diverse workforce and are committed to our staff development, offering bespoke training packages, leadership pathways and career opportunities.
- We offer a variety of benefits such as an amazing pension scheme, generous annual leave, Childcare Choices scheme, many discounts (Blue Light card, The Company Shop, NHS Staff Discounts, cycle to work scheme) and much more.
Come to work with us, together we will provide outstanding treatment and care to improve lives.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Further information about the Trust and this role can be found on the Job Description and Person Specification document attached.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Full Registration with the General Medical Council
- To hold Approved Clinician status at the point of taking up post
- MRCPsych or recognised equivalent
- Eligible for inclusion in the Specialist Register or within 12 months of CCT at time of interview.
- Approved under section 12(2) of the
- Mental Health Act 1983.
- Relevant Higher Degree e.g. MD, PhD, MSc or other additional clinical qualifi-cations
- Experience of assessing and treating patients in acute & community psychiatric settings
- At least 6 months clinical experience of working in an NHS setting.
- Excellent knowledge in specialty
- Excellent clinical skills using bio-psycho-social
- perspective and wide medical knowledge
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Able to manage clinical complexity and uncertainty
- Makes decisions based on evidence and experience
- including the contribution of others
- Able to meet duties under MHA and MCA
- Proven commitment to improving the quality of clinical care, including through quality improvement projects, service development or leadership work.
- Knowledge of recent developments and drug advances in the psychiatry specialty applied for
- Proven track record in clinical leadership role in a multidisciplinary team, ensuring high quali-ty care and maintain staff morale
- Ability to use IT, including e-mail and the inter-net
- Ability to manage own time, workload and pri-oritise clinical work
- Ability to appraise own performance as a con-sultant
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Able to communicate effectively with patients, carers and staff
- Understanding of the management skills re-quired to function successfully as a consultant
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Evidence of spe-cific achieve-ments that demonstrate leadership skills
- Additional Clini-cal Qualification
Southern Health NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.