Gastroenterology- Alcohol Specialist Nurse Conquest Hospital Based- Cross site Band 7- 37.5 hours 8am - 4 pm 5 Days per week Salary: �43,742 - �50,056 per annum, pro rata Fixed Term Contract: up to 2 years
An exciting opportunity has arisen to develop a motivated, enthusiastic and dynamic alcohol care team across East Sussex Healthcare Trust. This is a new initiative, initially on a 2 year fixed term contract as the service develops. The service will be across the two main hospital sites, to support patients with alcohol misuse, working closely with the gastroenterology team. The service will develop, under the guidance of a specialist nurse (Band 7) and alcohol nurse (Band 6), to improve the care and management in alcohol withdrawal, with a focus on avoiding unnecessary hospital admission. The team will be supported by a Band 4 administrator, who will be expected to process bookings, referrals, collate reports, audits etc and develop with the service, under the guidance of the specialist nurses.
The Band 7 Alcohol Specialist Nurse will further develop the Alcohol Care Team, with a focus on avoiding unnecessary hospital admission and improving the care and management of alcohol withdrawal. The post holder will promote and maintain high professional and organisational standards, providing an exemplary, evidence based, services for service users and their families.Main duties of the job
You will be fully involved in the formation of policies and clinical protocols, manage your own caseload of patients, provide patients and their families/carers with education and support which will encourage a unified approach to the management of this group of Alcohol misuse patients.
Your participation in shaping the development of the service will be actively encouraged and your professional development will be supported.
You must be a Registered General Nurse - Part 1, have specific post registration course in this specialty and the Mentorship level 3 or equivalent. You must have substantial experience of working with Gastroenterology patients in an inpatient setting at Band 6. You must be able to demonstrate excellent communication, motivation and persuasion skills along with good interpersonal skills. You must be able to work both as part of a team but also to work autonomously.
In return we will offer you excellent managerial support and commitment to your personal professional development. We expect all our staff to share the values that are important to the trust - being excellent, kind, responsible and respectful - and behave in a way that reflects these.About usWe are proud to provide 'Outstanding' care and be a great place to work
We provide safe, compassionate and high quality care to half a million people living or visiting East Sussex. We are one of the largest organisations in East Sussex, the only integrated provider of acute and community care in Sussex. Our extensive services are provided by 7000 + members of staff working from acute hospitals in Hastings and Eastbourne, three community hospitals in Bexhill, Rye and Uckfield, over 100 community sites and in people's own homes.
In 2020 the Care Quality Commission rated us as 'Good' overall, and 'Outstanding' for being caring and effective. The Conquest Hospital and our Community Services are rated 'Outstanding'. Eastbourne DGH rated 'Good'.
In 2020, the Trust launched its ambitious 'Building for our Future' programme. This once in a lifetime programme aims to repair, redevelop and expand our hospitals, transforming the environment in which we provide care for generations to come.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Please refer to the job description attached.
If you have any questions about this position please do not hesitate to contact us.Person SpecificationExperienceEssential
- Substantial and relevant post registration experience
- Experience at Band 6 level in an Acute setting.
- Experience of working with Gastroenterology patients in an inpatient setting
- Evidence of ongoing professional development
- Recent experience of managing change and service development
- Demonstrate enhanced clinical skills within relevant speciality
- Experience of supervising staff
- Counselling skills and course
- Data collection and presentation skills
- Excellent communication skills - ability to communicate sensitive and complex issues effectively.
- Excellent documentation skills
- Analytical and Assessment Skills. Ability to assess and interpret complex clinical conditions, and plan, action and evaluate programme of care
- Ability to organise and prioritise own workload and manage a clinical case load
- Venepuncture and cannulation
- Good IT and keyboard skills
- Relevant and recent knowledge of current clinical and professional issues within own speciality
- Ability to lead on Audit and Research.
- Ability to demonstrate commitment to raising standards of care
- Ability to plan, organise and prioritise workload for the nurse led service
- Good knowledge of commonly used medications in speciality
- Registered General Nurse - Part 1 with active NMC Registration
- Mentorship Module - or recognised Teaching/Assessing qualification
- Educated to Degree Level or equivalent experience
- Post registration qualification or evidence of equivalent specialist training in field of practice
- Evidence of ongoing relevant CPD to masters level of equivalent level of knowledge and experience
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Willingness to undertake external related courses that may require travel.
East Sussex Healthcare NHS TrustAddress
St Leonards on Sea
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.