We currently have fantastic opportunities at Somerset Foundation Trust
for Newly Qualified Midwives
or soon to be Newly Qualified Midwives
to apply for our Preceptorship Programme
. We are offering our maternity preceptorship programmes in both Yeovil and Taunton. When applying please state where you would like to apply to either Yeovil District Hospital, Musgrove Park Hospital or both!
We actively welcome applications from Midwifery students who are currently in their 3rd year of training within 6 months of qualifying who are enthusiastic and committed to working in collaboration with women, their families and multi-disciplinary teams, supporting personalised choice and promoting exemplary care in line with national transformation ambitions and our Trust Values.
Both maternity preceptorship programmes at each site have been carefully designed to ensure that you are fully supported to consolidate your midwifery knowledge, experience and expertise in all areas of midwifery both unit based and community, allowing you to grow and flourish in your first year as a midwife.
Your journey as a newly qualified Band 5 midwife to a confident and competent Band 6 midwife is the utmost important to us. At both sites you will have a lead preceptorship midwife, a named preceptor, buddies in each area as well as a named PMA. This ensures that you are supported clinically as well pastorally throughout your programme.Main duties of the job
We fully invest in our midwives ensuring that your learning is continued by mandating our maternity teaching which is not only based on national agendas and new evidence but also on local learning.
With the opportunity to continue your CPD in areas of your specific interest, we want to see you develop professionally beyond completing your preceptorship - we have a number of further developmental pathways that you can be supported to complete.
Your skills and talents as a midwife will help ensure women, babies, and families receive the unparalleled quality care they deserve, in return, you'll find a rewarding career full of opportunity and open doors.
- Assess and provide the full range of care needs to develop implement and evaluate care throughout the antenatal, intrapartum and postnatal period for women and their babies
- Always act in a manner consistent with the NMC Code of Professional Conduct, carrying out duties in accordance with Trust policies and procedures
- Work within community and acute services as a midwife supporting women and birthing people.
- Participate in an on-call rota
- Work autonomously within guidelines and spheres of professional practice
- Promote choice for women and birthing people promoting an individualised service
- Continue professional development through the completion of a preceptorship programme designed to support learning and progression to a Band 6 Midwife
When you work at SFT, you are not just helping families - you are part of one too.About usSomerset NHS Foundation Trust
:endeavours to provide development opportunities for those looking to develop a career in the NHS, in both clinical and non-clinical roles. Through our training programmes
, individuals can earn a salary, develop their skills, and achieve a nationally recognised qualification, all whilst contributing towards delivering excellent patient care. We have six active and impactful colleague networks
. These networks provide a safe space for colleagues to share their experiences and learn from one another, but also influence change across our trust:
As an organisation,
- Multicultural Network
- Women's Network
- Armed Forces' Network
- LGBTQ+ Network
- Lived Experience Network, for colleagues living with disabilities
- Autistic Colleague Network
the NHS offers a wide range of benefits including flexible working, pension contributions, market leading annual leave allowance, career progression and regular conversations, not to mention our Blue Light Card and NHS exclusive discounts.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Do you want a career with growth, progression, and empowerment?
Our Midwives work across Acute
and Community settings
, with an excellent preceptorship programme lead by our specialist Practice Development Team
. You will be supported and welcomed into your role and encourages to continue your development as a newly qualified midwife. We are keen to develop highly trained Midwives who can deliver exceptional care, to the families of Somerset.
Please see Job Description attached for a more detailed description on the role and main responsibilities. Thank you. We warmly welcome informal discussions or arrange planned visits to our Maternity Services, please call us on 01823 343168 or 01935 383021. Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
Desirable Skills & AbilityEssential
- Current NMC Registration as a midwife
- Commitment to completing preceptorship development programme with a minimum of 1 year post qualification experience
- Basic neonatal and adult resuscitation
Employer detailsEmployer name
- UK driving licence and access to car
- Willing to work in all areas - Community and Hospital
Somerset NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Somerset Foundation Trust - Musgrove Park Hospital & Yeovil District Hospital
Somerset - Taunton and Yeovil
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.