Are you interested in joining a forward thinking, progressive Paediatric Dietetic Team at the Great North Children's Hospital? This post would allow the successful candidate to develop specialist dietetic skills in paediatric diabetes, with the support of the Lead Specialist Dietitian. The diabetes dietitians work within a well-established diabetes multi-disciplinary team, which includes doctors, specialist nurses, a psychologist and more recently a Clinical Educator for diabetes, who is also a dietitian and will be able to provide support across the dietetic and diabetes teams. You will provide a service for inpatients, outpatient multi-disciplinary clinics within GNCH and other regional sites, community visits to homes, schools and other locations, and telephone support.
Main duties of the job
- Interview Date 17/10/2023
- 37 Hours 30 Minutes/Week
- You will be redirected to Trac to apply for the vacancy. Please expand the job details section and read all of the information before applying for the vacancy.
This post requires someone with significant clinical experience, ideally including some paediatric experience. The post holder will require excellent communication skills, experience of multi-disciplinary team working, initiative, and a critical approach to practice to contribute as a team in delivering quality patient care. The post holder will work closely with and support the Lead Specialist Dietitian to contribute to and meet the demands of the services including research and audit, and be involved in the training, guidance and supervision of students. As you may undertake some community visits, a driving licence and car owner is essential.
This is an exciting opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge in the varying aspects of paediatric diabetes within a well-supported team working alongside a dynamic and established paediatric dietetic team. The wider paediatric dietetic service at Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals supports a range of specialist areas including Allergy, Bone Marrow Transplant, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Gastroenterology, Ketogenic Diets, Metabolic Disease, Neurology, Oncology, Parenteral Nutrition, PICU, Renal Disease, and Surgery. You are encouraged to be an active member of the team and creativity and engagement is encouraged to help with service improvement. Continuing professional development is encouraged.About us
Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is one of the busiest, largest and most successful teaching NHS foundation trusts in the country, with over 18,000 staff and an annual income of �1 billion.
We have a long history of providing high quality care, clinical excellence, and innovation in medical research regionally, nationally and internationally.
We're also proud to be the second largest provider of specialised services in the country. This means we support people with a range of rare and complex medical, surgical and neurological conditions, cancers and genetic orders.
Our staff oversee around 1.84 million patients 'contacts' each year, delivering high standards of healthcare.
Please see attached information on what Staff Benefits we have to offer at our Trust.
We are committed to promoting equality and diversity and recognise the benefit in providing an inclusive environment. We value and respect the diversity of our employees and aim to recruit a workforce which reflects the communities we serve, and is equipped to deliver the best service to our patients. We welcome all applications irrespective of people's race, disability, gender, sexual orientation, religion or belief, age, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity and in particular those from under- represented groups.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- Delivers a comprehensive and effective clinical nutrition and dietetic service in acute hospital services in the specialist area/s or in the community. See appendix for in depth job details.
- Provides specialist dietetic assessment, diagnosis, treatment, monitoring and management in the clinical setting and in one or more sub-specialty areas. This may include supplementary prescribing.
- Acts as a source of expertise in nutrition support/education and dietetics to patients, medical staff, health care professionals, relatives, carers and all relevant agencies.
- Provides expertise to Nutrition Teams and works in other multidisciplinary teams.
- Delivers education and training at all levels.
- Participates in team and multi-disciplinary evaluation, audit and research.
Please note it is a requirement of The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust that all successful candidates who require a DBS for the post they have been offered pay for their DBS certificate.The method of payment is a salary deduction from your first months pay.
As a flexible working friendly organisation, we want to be sure that you can work in a way that is best for us and for our patients, and for you. Speak to us about how we might be able to accommodate a flexible working arrangement. If it works for the service, we will do our best to make it work for you.Person SpecificationQualifications & EducationEssential
- HPC UK registered dietitian
- Degree in Dietetics or Science/Nutrition Degree plus Postgraduate Diploma in Dietetics
- Evidence of specialist training or validated qualification in one or more speciality areas
Knowledge & ExperienceEssential
- Basic counselling skills or training in cognitive behaviour therapy
- Teaching certificate
- Basic Food Hygiene Certificate or similar
- Clinical supervisory skills training
Skills & AbilitiesEssential
- Post registration clinical practice in general clinical dietetics
- Range of general dietetics.
- Evidence of knowledge in specialty areas
- Evidence of continuous professional development
- Understands Health Professions Council Code of Conduct
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Driving licence if relevant to the role.
- Basic keyboard skills - Word, E-mail, PowerPoint, Excel, dietary analysis
The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Royal Victoria Infirmary
317 02 Royal Victoria Infirmary
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.