An exciting opportunity has arisen for a forward thinking and dynamic Deputy General Manager for Perioperative Care. As the Deputy General Manager you will be working closely with the General Manager and be operationally accountable for the provision of key services within Perioperative Care including theatre efficiency, productivity, capital projects, planning and other key operational performance targets.
You will facilitate the delivery of service improvements, performance and efficiency and support the development of best practices as well as providing leadership and direction to staff.
You will actively contribute to the strategic development of the department and will have delegated budgetary responsibility for the pay budget for Perioperative Care.
The ability to speak Welsh is desirable for this post English and/or Welsh speakers are equally welcome to apply.Main duties of the jobStrategic management
- Support the General Manager in the management and delivery of clinical and non clinical services and also in the development and implementation of the Directorates Annual Business and Operational Plan. Performance management
- Accountable for the operational management, organisational and delivery of theatre performance across Perioperative Care Quality & Safety
- Improve the effectiveness of services by working with the Directorate Management Team to ensure Clinical Standards, Education, Audit and Research and Development are pursued in line with the UHB's Strategy. Finance Management
-Deliver delegated Financial Plans, ensuring financial viability, and that systems are in place to maximise income, control expenditure and to deliver cost improvements Staff Management
- To be responsible for the management of staff to provide and receive highly sensitive information requiring highly developed skills in situations such as sickness meetings, disciplinary process grievance matters and recruitment and selection of staff. Communication
- Exercise own judgement on a wide range of issues making operational and management decisions and also provide strategic advice on professional issues, developments and performance. Education & Training
-Ensure that all the team receives sufficient opportunities to extend their knowledge and skills and appropriate training programs are in place when new technology or equipment is introduced.About usCardiff and Vale University Health Board
is one of the largest Integrated Health Boards in the UK, employing over 15,000 staff, providing over 100 specialist services. Working across 6 hospital sites, we have a diverse range of career opportunities to offer. Serving around 500,000 people living in Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan, we are focussed on the health and care needs of our local population whilst working with our partners to develop regional services.
Our mission is Caring for People, Keeping People Well,
and our vision is that every person's chance of leading a healthy life should be equal. As an organisation we are unashamedly ambitious for our population's health, rising to the challenges of today and tomorrow through our 10-year strategy, Shaping our Future Wellbeing. We are contributing to a healthier Wales with great emphasis placed on innovation and improvement, learning from around the world and leading the way in clinical research. Partnership working is strong at Cardiff and Vale, and we work closely with our staff and our community.
Cardiff, the thriving Welsh capital, is a fantastic city to live and work in with an abundance of sports, arts and cultural attractions. Situated to the west of Cardiff, the Vale of Glamorgan offers a combination of beautiful Welsh countryside and a dramatic natural coastline. Whether city life or rural living, Cardiff and the Vale offers the best of both worlds.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
You will be able to find a full Job description and Person Specification attached within the supporting documents or please click Apply now to view in Trac.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Qualification to Masters level (or equivalent NHS experience)
- Recognised management qualification (Diploma level or higher).
- IHM membership or equivalent managerial professional body
- Prince Project Management
- Demonstrable NHS manager experience including line management responsibility for multi-disciplinary teams
- Evidence of involvement in strategic management planning and achievements in complex management situations
- Responsible for performance management and meeting challenging targets
- Previous financial management experience (including budget management , delivery of cost improvements plans etc)
- Evidence of leading the implementation of a change issue
- Evidence of experience in achieving CPA or similar accreditation
- Effective internal and external stakeholder management.
- Competence in IM& T tools and techniques to support reporting and analytical skills
- Current knowledge of NHS, UHB and Welsh Strategic Direction
- Previous financial management experience (including budget management)
- Effective stakeholder management
- Knowledge of research methodologies and application
- Commissioning services and or negotiation of contract
- Specialist knowledge, skills and experience in the following: Theory of Constraints, Managing change within a service, Demand Management and Capacity Planning
- Effective delegation and change management skills
- Ability to develop and maintain effective multidisciplinary working relationships, during change
- Managing conflict within service priorities and staff
- Leadership and influencing skills
- Ability to focus on major policy issues whilst maintaning and continuously improving a busy operational service
- Ability to communicate highly complex information in a hostile environment, of a sensitive or contentious nature
- Self confident and emotionally resilient
- Flexible approach to needs of the service and to cope with a large and unpredictable workload
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Ability to speak Welsh
- Ability to think creatively and laterally
- Personal credibility with UHB clinical and managerial body
Cardiff and Vale University Health BoardAddress
University Hospital of Wales
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.