Are you passionate about delivering sustainable, high quality community mental health services?
We are looking for a Consultant who shares our vision for improved mental health care. We are committed to improving the lives of the people we serve with compassion, respect and dignity. We aspire to provide the best possible care in the right place, at the right time, to help our service-users recover and live a fulfilled life.
The AWP Assessment and Recovery teams are currently based at Petherton Resource Centre, Speedwell Centre and Greenways Centre. The Assessment and Recovery (A& R) Service part of the service delivery is provided by Mental Health Bristol, a formal partnership of local providers of health and social care in Bristol including AWP.
This is a full time post based with the Bristol South Mental Health Assessment & Recovery service at the Petherton Resource Centre, Bristol.
The Assessment and Recovery services are structured to increase the amount of 'contacts' staff have with service users, to improve access to the service by integration within communities and GP settings. They provide a service for all adults over the age of 18, and in transition from CAMHS, except those who are only diagnosed with dementia. The service operates from 8am to 8pm, 365 days per year.Main duties of the job
Each Assessment and Recovery Team is divided into 3 clusters according to GP populations. As the post holder you will hold medical responsibility within a specific cluster and will work closely with around 5-6 GP practices.
You will be expected to undertake 2 new assessments and 2 medical follow up assessments per week (WTE) to support the assessment function of the team. In addition, on average per week there are about 10 Recovery medical appointments, arranged in 2 clinic blocks (allowing a degree of flexibility).
The doctors are integral members and clinical leaders of the team and comprise 3.0 WTE General Adult Consultants, 0.6 WTE Later Life Consultant, 1 WTE SAS doctor, 1 WTE Crisis Consultant. The team embraces the multidisciplinary approach integrating Mental Health Nurses, Occupational Therapists, mental health workers and Recovery Navigators with a total of about 70 within the team. There is 1 Non-Medical Prescriber in the team, who holds dedicated clinics.
The team regularly has an F2, core trainees, higher trainees and medical students making for a strong, friendly and lively medical base within the team.About usWe are AWP (Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust)
a diverse organisation with over 5,000 dedicated staff providing inpatient and community-based mental health care. We provide services from a range of locations to approximately 1.8 million people living in Bath and North East Somerset (B& NES), Bristol, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Swindon, across the county of Wiltshire and in parts of Dorset.
Our outstanding people promote mental health and wellbeing. The expertise and resources within AWP are dedicated to a person-centred approach for those who use our services and for all employees. We recognise that happy and fulfilled employees give better care.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Please refer to the accompanying job description for full details on the roles and responsibilities of this post.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- MB BS or equivalent medical qualification
- Relevant Higher Degree e.g MD,PHD,Msc or other additional clinical qualifications
- MRCPsych OR MRCPsych equivalent approved by the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
- Fully registered with the GMC with a licence to practise at the time of appointment
- Included on the GMC Specialist Register OR within six months of gaining CCT
- Approved clinician status OR able to achieve within 3 months of appointment
- Approved under S12 OR able to achieve with 3 months of appointment
- CCT in General Adult Psychiatry
- Experience of assessing and treating patients in a community setting.
- Knowledge and evidence of participation in CPD
- Evidence of effective multidisciplinary team involvement
- To possess leadership skills and be able to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to manage own time, workload and prioritise clinical work
- Ability to appraise own performance as a Consultant.
- Able to demonstrate excellent communication skills, in order to effectively work with patients, carers and staff.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Evidence of specific achievements that demonstrate leadership skills
- Ability to assess and treat psychiatric problems in Adults of working age and to deal with crisis situations.
- Understanding of the management skills required to function successfully as a Consultant.
- Awareness of current issues in mental health service provision, policy and legislation.
- Knowledge of alternatives to inpatient admission care approaches
- Commitment to and experience of undergraduate and postgraduate learning and teaching.
Research and AuditEssential
- Experience as an Educational Supervisor for trainees
- Experience or involvement in a research project and publication.
- Experience of carrying out an audit project.
- Evidence of management/leadership skills training.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Previous management experience including that of other junior medical staff
Avon & Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS TrustAddress
Petherton Resource Centre
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.