Consultant in Forensic Psychiatry -- 10% recruitment and retention payment available.
Southern Health NHS Foundation provides specialist mental health services, learning disability services, community physical health services including community hospitals and specialist inpatient units, and primary care across Hampshire, and is one of the largest providers of its kind in the country.
Southern health NHS foundation trust is seeking to recruit 2.5 consultant psychiatrists. These are replacement posts at Southfield low secure unit and Ravenswood House mediums and lows secure unit in Hampshire.
The consultants will provide senior medical advice, support, consultancy and clinical leadership to the inpatient multidisciplinary team. Applications from those who wish to work less than full-time and those who wish to work a significant amount of the time remotely, or only undertake assessments without an inpatient caseload are welcomed. Applicants will need to have a CCT in any psychiatric sub speciality. Extra support and education will be provided for those without a CCT in forensic psychiatry1.
This job attracts a Recruitment and Retention payment of an additional 10% on top of standard NHS pay, in addition to (up to) 8000 relocation allowance. This will be renewable yearly subject to job planning
For an informal conversation contact Dr Simon Hill, Medical Director specialised services division 02380 874555 or firstname.lastname@example.orgMain duties of the job
Forensic services are a part of specialised services and include both in-patient and out-patient service provision.
Inpatient forensic services consist of the following:
Ravenswood House -- adult medium secure hospital, 79 beds, male only
Southfield -- adult low secure hospital, 28 beds, male and female
Ashford -- adult low secure hospital for people with learning disabilities, male only
Bluebird House -- adolescent medium secure hospital, 20 beds, male and female
Austen House -- adolescent low secure unit, male and female
Community forensic services include:
Outpatient Multi-agency Personality Disorder service
Specialist Community Forensic Team (SCFT)
Community Forensic Learning Disability Team
Multi-agency Stalking clinic
In addition to working alongside Adult Mental Health services, Older Persons' Mental Health services and Intellectual Disability services within Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust, the Adult Forensic division provides Forensic Mental Health services to two other NHS Trusts -- Solent NHS Trust and Isle of Wight NHS Trust. This includes working with in-patient Mental Health units, out-patient teams (including Crisis and Early Intervention in Psychosis teams) and services provided within the region by providers such as Inclusion (drug and alcohol interventions services), Care UK (mental health services in HMP Winchester and HMP IoW) and Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust (the Criminal Justice Liaison and Diversion service).About us
Are you committed to providing remarkable care and service?
Are you passionate about helping people and want to make a difference every day?
We want to meet you!
Southern Health is one of the largest Foundation Trusts in the UK, specialising in mental health, adult and child community health and learning disabilities. We are committed to promoting the welfare and safeguarding of children, young people and adults at risk of abuse and neglect through our 6,500 strong workforce.
Southern Health has over 300 sites across the county and we serve 1.5 million people throughout all stages of their lives. Our aim is to work alongside the people we support (and our health and care partners) to deliver the best possible care and constantly improve.
Here at SHFT we have so much to be proud of:
- Working as a team and supporting each other, we put patients and our staff at the heart of everything we do.
- We have a skilled and diverse workforce and are committed to our staff development, offering bespoke training packages, leadership pathways and career opportunities.
- We offer a variety of benefits such as an amazing pension scheme, generous annual leave, Childcare Choices scheme, many discounts (Blue Light card, The Company Shop, NHS Staff Discounts, cycle to work scheme) and much more.
Come to work with us, together we will provide outstanding treatment and care to improve lives.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
For further details, person specification and job planning please find attached our full Job descriptionPerson SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Full Registration with the General Medical Council
- To hold Approved Clinician status at the point of taking up post
- MRCPsych or recognised equivalent
- Eligible for inclusion in the Specialist Register or within 6 months of CCT at time of interview
- Approved under section 12(2) of the
- Mental Health Act 1983.
- Relevant Higher Degree e.g. MD, PhD, MSc or other additional clinical qualifications
- Prior experience working in a forensic mental health team
- Experience of psychiatric practice in a range of settings, especially the community
- Experience of audit and an understanding of the principles of clinical governance
- Proven commitment to improving the quality of clinical care
- Ability to take a leadership role in a multidisciplinary team, ensuring high quality care and maintain staff morale
- Ability to use IT, including e-mail and the internet
- Ability to manage own time, workload and prioritise clinical work
- Ability to appraise own performance as a consultant
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Able to communicate effectively with patients, carers and staff
- Understanding of the management skills required to function successfully as a consultant
- Experience of teaching undergraduates and postgraduates
- Enthusiasm for service development, an understanding of principles and practice of management processes
- Development of leadership skills, and an awareness of personal development needs in this area
- Knowledge of the management and structure of the NHS
- Experience of carrying out clinical audit and quality improvement work
- Ability to deal effectively with stress
- Thoroughness and attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with difficult people.
- Reliable and honest
- Flexible approach to working practise
- Positive approach to the job planning and appraisal process
- Ability to fulfil the travelling commitment of the post with transport within the parameters of the Disability discrimination Act
- Ability to fulfil the duties of the post including on-call
- Satisfactory CRB enhanced disclosure and Health check
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Evidence of specific achievements that demonstrate leadership skills
- Additional Clinical Qualification
- Evidence of additional teaching skills
- Experience as a lecturer or
- Experience in clinical
- Some experience in management roles
- Evidence of service development with innovation and delivery
- Interest in research
- Experience of involvement in a research project and publication
- Evidence of Leadership Attributes
- Motivational Skills
- Commitment to service development
Southern Health NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Mayles Lane, Knowle
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.