An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the small nursing team delivering care to patients with Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD: Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis).
There are a large number of IBD patients undergoing treatment with biologic therapies and the post holder will be responsible for managing the administration and monitoring of these medications. This will include undertaking pre-screening patient assessments, coordinating appointments and follow up care and providing patient counseling as required.
Personal attributes you will need are excellent communication and interpersonal skills with an ability to maintain accuracy and attention to detail even when working under pressure. You must also be proactive and motivated to learn this specialist field to high standard and deliver high-quality, safe, evidence based and compassionate patient care, with excellent organisational skills. PREVIOUS APPLICANTS NEED NOT APPLYMain duties of the job
The post holder will: Undertake and be involved in the management, development and smooth operation of the Gastroenterology nursing service within the Trust and to the Trust staff. Demonstrate a senior level of autonomy as a practitioner and clinical expertise in the assessment and management of patients with IBD / Coeliac disease. Exercise responsibility and accountability for care of patients on different pathways including clinical assessment, symptom analysis and triage of patients via a telephone advice line and in nurse led clinics. Participate in risk management, by counselling and screening of patients and ensuring that communication regarding monitoring is explicitly understood by patient and community care partners for patients undergoing Immunosuppressant and Biologic therapy. Deliver holistic patient care improving patient empowerment through health promotion/education to promote supported self management of long term conditions. Work closely with members of the multi-professional team to ensure pro-active communication to provide effective care management for patients Maintain and develop expertise in the field of care to cascade to the Trust and Primary Care Trust staff as per the Trust Specialist Nurse Framework. Maintain and develop standards of care within the service including long term objectives and the development of standards and objectives in line with national recommendations, current best practice and research. About us
Our STAR values are at the heart of everything we do. You can expect to see them in the way we act and the way we treat each other. Our values make us who we are.
Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- Service We will put our patients first
- Teamwork We will work together
- Ambition We will aspire to provide the best service
- Respect We will act with integrity
The post holder will be a member of the Gastroenterology Specialist Nursing Team providing specialist clinical assessment, care, support, advice and information as part of the pathway for chronic disease management ofpatients with Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), Coeliac Disease. The post holder will support and contribute to improving standards of care, acting in a professional manner and working within the specialist nurse framework.
Please see attached job description.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Educated to degree level supplemented by diploma level specialist training or equivalent training and experience
- Evidence of continued professional development
- Patient assessment and clinical examination or equivalent course
- Non-medical prescribing course
- Relevant Gastroenterology course
- Working as an effective member of a multi-disciplinary team
- Previous experience in a Gastroenterology specialist role
- Participation in research and /or audit
- Organisational skills ? Problem solver and decision maker ? Able to identify priorities ? Highly effective communication skills - able to communicate verbally and in writing to staff, patients and relatives including situations of conflict and distress ? Innovative ? Able to support patients and family members ? Able to build effective working relationships with clinicians and managers at all levels ? Specialist clinical and clinical assessment skills ? Strong IT skills including MS Office and Trust systems ? Able to plan and implement on-going care plans / patient pathways.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Clinical audit skills
- Teaching and presentation skills
Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Great Western Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.