Joint advert on behalf of Dorset County Hospital & Dorset Healthcare University NHS Foundation Trusts
We have recently been awarded significant investment to develop Dorset Stroke & Neuro Services. This is a really exciting time as we significantly expand our existing services & embed innovative ways of working to improve clinical outcomes for patients following stroke or neurological illness or injury. Join our team at this exciting time as DCHFT & DUHFT collaborate to bring this policy to life.
Importantly this once in a generation investment increases our team on the West/North of Dorset which enables 7 day working, meets hyperacute care requirements for an increased number of patients increases our stroke & neuro rehab bed base & significantly extends the time patients can access community service moving to a needs led, rather than time limited service. Our integrated rehabilitation services are AHP consultant led & provide various pathways of care including inpatient rehabilitation, supported self-management, advice & signposting, intensive rehabilitation (ESD), complex management & reviews. The post includes one day a week supporting NIHR portfolio stroke research undertaken by both trusts.
We can offer a generous relocation package for candidates looking to move to the area. Band 5-6 accelerators welcomed to apply to join a supported development pathway to reach band 6 on completion of stroke andneurological competenciesMain duties of the job
Our team expansion includes nursing, social work, neuropsychology & voluntary sector roles, as well as apprentices, rotations across the acute & community pathway & opportunities for advanced practice. Over coming years we aim to further bring together a range of specialists working across the fields of stroke & neurology in Dorset, meaning our integrated team will have access to a wide range of specialists with many years of experience, many of whom work within a national capacity within their field to increase opportunities for learning & development of skills as well as opportunities for involvement in research. We have a programme initiated within Dorset developing communities of practice regarding psychological care & motor relearning, which post holders can join & have an active NIHR research portfolio.About us
Do you embrace change? Do you want to be part of building something exciting? Do you thrive on new knowledge, evidence based practice & research? We would welcome applicants for these band 6 positions, or those willing to pursue a band 5-6 accelerator programme over 12-18 months (on completion of competencies). We believe there will be opportunities for band 7 & ACP role progression for individuals within the team in the near future once the service is fully established.
The successful applicants will gain experience of treating a wide variety of clinical conditions & will also develop their leadership skills by appraisal & supervision of junior staff & students. We are committed to your continued professional development & provide a structured in service training programme alongside a directed training package for each rotation. Your development will be overseen by experienced Band 7 therapists many of whom are specialists in their field.
Stroke/ neurological experience required, but most of all we're looking for candidates with a dedication to improvement, a passion for high quality neuro rehabilitation who thrives within a team. If this is you, we'd love to hear from you.
Contribution to the therapy weekend rotas is expected (this includes acute & community rotas) on a basis of no more than 1:5 weekends. Flexible working is required across the pathway as clinical demands require. This will include working across both trusts.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
We have two roles on offer. These posts span the pathway. In this instance Dorset County is acting as the lead recruiter, however posts are employed by either organisation as stated below. Interviews will be undertaken by representatives of both organisations. On appointment recruitment processes will transfer to the relevant employing organisation.
- Full time (37.5 hours) band 6 stroke & neuro rotational roles (1 x employed by Dorset Healthcare, 1 x employed by Dorset County Hospital)
- Rotations include:
- Hyper Acute / acute stroke & neurology (based at Dorset County Hospital)
- Stroke & neurology inpatient rehabilitation (currently based at Yeatman community hospital- Sherborne)
- Integrated Community Stroke (& neurology) Service (ICSS) - including Early Supported Discharge (ESD) & complex rehabilitation & condition management for stroke & neurology. The service covers West & North Dorset.
- Post includes 1 day a week supporting NIHR portfolio stroke research linked to trust R+D dept
We can offer a generous relocation package for candidates looking to move to the area. Person SpecificationEducation, Qualifications & TrainingEssential
- Diploma or Degree in Occupational Therapy
- Registered as an Occupational Therapist with the Health Professions Council
- Evidence of other relevant and recent CPD/training
Knowledge & ExperienceEssential
- Member of Special Interest Group
- Undertaken appropriate managerial/leadership training
- Senior OT experience
- Inpatient experience
- Community Rehabilitation Experience
- Experience working with stroke and/neuro patients
- Appropriate level of awareness of stroke guidelines and national policy direction
Skills & KnowledgeEssential
- Evidence of engagement with regional networks /other partners (Community Trust, social services
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Ability to present information, written and orally, in a clear and logical manner
- Ability to keep accurate and legible clinical notes
- Ability to demonstrate clear depth of clinical reasoning and knowledge of OT assessment and interventions relating to this specialty, commensurate with Band 6 level
- Ability to work autonomously, prioritising case load effectively
- To show an understanding of clinical governance and its implication for the Occupational Therapy Service
- Experience in completing local projects
- Evidence of supporting team members
- Car driver / owner with access for work use (community rotation stroke role)
- Ability to contribute to weekend working
Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Dorset County Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.