To provide the highest standard of assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of individualised holistic patient care in conjunction with the multidisciplinary team. To act as a positive role model within the pre-operative assessment department .
The band 6 Sister will be required to manage her own caseload of complex patient`s with multi co-morbidities and support junior staff within the department , offering guidance and advice in the absence of the lead nurses. The band 6 will be expected to manage the department and co-ordinate the daily activates of the department in the absence of the department leads.Main duties of the job
- To assess patients for fitness for surgery/anesthesia
- Awareness of effective resource management
- Accountable for caseload of patients including the supervision of staff and students
- Maintain a visible presence in the preoperative clinic and provide a clear focus for effective clinical leadership to the nursing team in the absence of the band 7.
- Supporting the named budget holder and authorised signatory for financial resources with responsibility for ensuring stock levels are monitored /maintained and clinic resources in effectively managed.
- Participate in the implementation of audit, quality and risk management initiatives in the clinic, sharing good practice with the team and colleagues.
- Support the Lead Nurse in the effective management of nursing staffs' contracted hours, sickness, absence and training.
- Demonstrate professional expertise and knowledge acquired through post registration academic study and clinical leadership and management development.
All staff and volunteers working within the trust have a duty to be aware of their own and the organisation's roles and responsibilities for safeguarding and protecting children and young people, and vulnerable adults. You must be competent to recognise abuse, respond appropriately and contribute to the processes for safeguarding, accessing training and supervision as appropriate to your role.
The prevention and control of infection is an integral part of the role health all staff members, in conjunction with all relevant professionals will contribute to the prevention and control of infection through standard infection control practices /compliance with the Trust's infection control policies in order to ensure the highest quality of care .
You must be aware of and adhere to Health and Safety legislation, policies and procedures, to ensure your own safety and that of colleagues, patients, visitors and any other person who may be affected by your actions at work. You are reminded of your duty under the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 to take reasonable care to avoid injury to yourself and others to officially report all incidents, accidents and hazards using the Critical Incident Reporting Procedure to use safety equipment provided for your protection at all times and to co-operate with management in meeting statutory requirements.Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesThis job description is not intended to be a complete list of duties and responsibilities, but indicates the main ones attached to the post. It may be amended at a future time after discussion to take account of changing patterns of service and management.Person SpecificationExperienceEssential
- Senior Nurse/ post registration and multi surgical Speciality experience
- Evidence of experience of taking charge managing self and others
- Evidence of involvement and leadership in teaching and mentorship
- Experience within pre-operative assessment with minimum 1 year as band 5
- First level registration
- Current NMC registration is essential.
- Provide evidence of continuous professional development, documented within CPD portfolio
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Demonstrate professional development post-registration
- Evidence of mandatory training updates
- Teaching and mentorship qualification
Doncaster & Bassetlaw Teaching Hospitals NHS FTAddress
Doncaster and Bassettlaw Teaching Hospitals nhs Foundation Trust pre-operative assessment Department
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.