Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust provides specialist mental health services, learning disability services, community physical health services including community hospitals and specialist inpatient units, and primary care across Hampshire.
Leigh House is a General Adolescent Unit with Eating Disorder beds (GAU) that is in process of moving to 10 bed provision for male and female patients between ages of 13-18 both informal and detained under the Mental Health Act.
This is an exciting time to join the Leigh House team we plan to develop a 10 bedded CAMHS Tier 4 inpatient unit and a 10-space day eating disorder programme, to support young people aged between 13-18 years. In patients treats young people presenting with acute and severe mental disorders/mental health difficulties. This may include severe emotional dysregulation with significant deliberate self-harm, major mood disorders, psychoses, complex neuropsychiatric disorders, eating disorders and severe obsessive-compulsive disorders.
The proposed day model offers a more sustainable solution and better outcomes for young people. There is an opportunity through this blended approach, to prevent deterioration and avoid hospital admission.
The consultant will provide senior medical advice, support, consultancy and clinical leadership to the inpatient multidisciplinary team.
For an informal discussion please contact Dr Simon Hill medical director specialised services firstname.lastname@example.orgMain duties of the job
The consultant will work as a member of multi-disciplinary team in collaboration with clinical and managerial leaders. The Consultant is responsible for leading the team in a manner that ensures best practice and good outcomes with emphasis on continuing improvement. The post holder will be expected to respond to referrals by telephone discussion, the provision of second opinion assessment, emergency and planned assessments in response to an increasing demand for emergency admissions and also to repatriate young people who have been placed in hospitals far from the area following a crisis. The admission of patients to the hospital is supported by the specialty doctor and trainees.
The post holder will be expected to manage an agreed case load alongside the two other case holders. Each patient has a core team including a 'ward doctor', psychologist, family therapist, occupational therapist, teacher and contact as necessary with the social worker and advocate. The post holder will ensure that clinical practice reflects quality and effectiveness as determined by evidence-based research as far as possible.
The job plan includes time for daily visits to the ward, weekly meeting with patients, team meetings and liaison with families and other agencies.
There is also the opportunity for this post to include being the Clinical lead for Leigh House.About us
Are you committed to providing remarkable care and service?
Are you passionate about helping people and want to make a difference every day?
We want to meet you!
Southern Health is one of the largest Foundation Trusts in the UK, specialising in mental health, adult and child community health and learning disabilities. We are committed to promoting the welfare and safeguarding of children, young people and adults at risk of abuse and neglect through our 6,500 strong workforce.
Southern Health has over 300 sites across the county and we serve 1.5 million people throughout all stages of their lives. Our aim is to work alongside the people we support (and our health and care partners) to deliver the best possible care and constantly improve.
Here at SHFT we have so much to be proud of:
- Working as a team and supporting each other, we put patients and our staff at the heart of everything we do.
- We have a skilled and diverse workforce and are committed to our staff development, offering bespoke training packages, leadership pathways and career opportunities.
- We offer a variety of benefits such as an amazing pension scheme, generous annual leave, Childcare Choices scheme, many discounts (Blue Light card, The Company Shop, NHS Staff Discounts, cycle to work scheme) and much more.
Come to work with us, together we will provide outstanding treatment and care to improve lives.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
For further details and job planning Please find attached our full job description and person specification.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Full Registration with the General Medical Council
- To hold Approved Clinician status at the point of taking up post
- MRCPsych or recognised equivalent
- Eligible for inclusion in the Specialist Register or within 12 months of CCT at time of interview.
- Approved under section 12(2) of the
- Mental Health Act 1983.
- Relevant Higher De-gree e.g. MD, PhD, MSc or other addi-tional clinical qualifi-cations
- Excellent knowledge in spe-cialty
- Excellent clinical skills using bio-psycho-social
- perspective and wide medical knowledge
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in Eng-lish
- Able to manage clinical com-plexity and uncertainty
- Makes decisions based on ev-idence and experience
- including the contribution of others
- Able to meet duties under MHA and MCA
- Wide range of spe-cialist and sub-specialist
- experience relevant to post within NHS or
- comparable service
- Proven track record in clinical leadership role in a multidisciplinary team, ensuring high quality care and maintain staff morale
- Ability to use IT, including e-mail and the internet
- Ability to manage own time, workload and prioritise clinical work
- Ability to appraise own performance as a consultant
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Able to communicate effectively with patients, carers and staff
- Understanding of the management skills required to function successfully as a consultant
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Evidence of specific achievements that demonstrate leadership skills
- Additional Clinical Qualification
Southern Health NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.