OPEN TO BOTH REGISTERED NURSES AND OPERATING DEPARTMENT PRACTITIONERS
To provide expert, holistic care of a high standard to both patients and their relatives at The Princess Alexandra Hospital
To take direct managerial responsibility for the clinical area in the absence or as delegated by the Senior Sister / Charge Nurse / Matron
To act as a clinical resource with the department and across the care directorate as necessary
To act as a positive role model to junior staff members. Particular emphasis is put at The Princess Alexandra Hospital on the need to ensure that all staff recognise their responsibility to deliver services in a high quality, courteous, patient focused manner and to maintain patient confidentiality at all timesMain duties of the job
- To adhere to the NMC Code of Professional Conduct or Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) Code and adhere to this at all times
- To undertake detailed post anaesthetic assessment and care. Identifying care needs and provide care accordingly or escalation for support
- To work within and accept responsibility for maintaining agreed levels of clinical competence
- To keep up to date with NMC, HCPC, Trust and directorate values and adhere to these at all times
- To be a fully active and committed member of the multidisciplinary team operating in the directorate
Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- Work within a PACU service covering both main and day surgery theatres.
- Commended in 2019 CQC report for delivering outstanding perioperative dementia care.
- Be a part of a vibrant and friendly working environment where teamwork is highly valued.
- Education and Professional Development - The department has a dedicated Practice Development Nurse to coordinate the educational needs of all staff. We offer preceptorship, competency based assessments, post registration courses, speciality workshops, seminar presentations to name a few. Specific competencies covering all aspects of care delivery and patient groups The Trust and department is committed to developing future leaders and offers an extensive range of leadership courses which staff are supported to attend.
- Innovative clinical practice - Princess Alexandra Hospital is one of 6 hospitals in the country providing Intra Operative Radiotherapy Treatment for patients with breast cancer.
- Award-winning Hospital - National FAB week winners 2017 2018
- Work and live in Harlow - Only a 30 minute direct train journey to London, Cambridge and Stansted Airport. Harlow and the surrounding towns have a wide range of shopping, recreation and leisure facilities plus great local family days out.
- To demonstrate clinical post-operative care and critical care expertise for all patients within PACU
- To assess, plan, implement and evaluate the needs of patients in the department on an ongoing basis, co-ordinating the care given by all members of the clinical team
- To accurately assimilate and interpret clinical information about the patients condition and escalate to the appropriate clinician for a treatment plan
- To act as a resource person to others, providing accurate information, advice and support the multidisciplinary team, patients and their relatives
- To ensure that accurate records are maintained
- To ensure that clinical guidelines are implemented and to be actively involved in auditing practice in conjunction with line manager
- To request specific investigations based on NICE Guidelines.
- To ensure that practice is evidence based and with support assist in the development of policies and protocols with the clinical area
- To uphold high standards of nursing care, according to existing policies and standards
- To support the PACU Manager / Matron in the process of continuous quality improvement, formally evaluating standards of care and assisting in the implementation of changes in the light of such findings
- Communication skills - able to relate and communicate with patients and staff at all levels and from different professions. Adapts communication style as necessary and is able to work with and through others
- Highly self-motivated - possesses high internal work standards, sets themselves and helps others to set attainable goals wants to do better things, to improve, to be more effective and efficient
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Interest in Post Anaesthetic Care
The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS TrustAddress
Princess Alexandra Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.