We are seeking a dynamic Head of Patient Safety to provide leadership and facilitation of the Trust's patient safety strategy across the organisation. This is an exciting time to join us at KGH as we plan to implement the new Patient Safety Incident Response Framework and where this role will help design and deliver this Framework.
The Head of Patient Safety and Improvement (HoPSI) will be accountable for providing compassionate and collaborative senior leadership, visibility and expert advice for patient safety and incident response within the organisation.
As the lead specialist the HoPS will work closing with all staff in addition to our clinical leaders to understand and explore the most effective approaches to improving patient safety and ensure that any patient safety-related responsibilities are effectively aligned.Main duties of the job
This is a senior leadership role with responsibilities across the organisation to lead, coach and support clinical teams, through their divisional structures, to continuously improve patient safety, applying multiple sources of insight to inform priorities and actions.
The role will oversee the framework for delivery of the Trust's Patient Safety, working with relevant clinical and operational leads and supporting reviews and reporting of progress in year to various Board level and operational committees/groups. It will also provide expert advice and support for the systems that support and inform patient safety, for example, Quality visits and ward accreditation leading on the design and implementation of a Patient Safety insight approach within multiple related systems across KGH.
This role is key in ensuring that KGH has an embedded safety culture that encompasses the principles of civility, psychological safety and restorative just cultures in a learning environment.About us
Kettering General NHS Foundation Trust and Northampton General Hospital NHS Trust are both part of the University Hospitals of Northamptonshire NHS Group. Both hospitals are separate hospitals/employers with hospital board and leadership. We share a group executive team leading on a shared vision, mission, priorities, strategies and Dedicated to Excellence Values.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Responsibility for / oversight of the implementation of the NHS patient safety strategy within the organisation that includes PSIRF implementation, a system wide overview and change in culture and system learning approach.
Provide patient safety expertise/leadership within the organisation demonstrating compassionate leadership, visibility and supporting the continued development of the patient safety culture.
Oversee and support patient safety improvement, ensuring that systems thinking, human factors understanding and just culture principles are embedded in patient safety processes.
Ensure the organisation has a robust and effective patient safety strategy/patient safety incident response plan as part of PSIRF with planning to implement effectively.Person SpecificationEducation and qualificationsEssential
Knowledge and ExperienceEssential
- Masters Degree or equivalent
- Evidence of continuing professional development
- Clinical qualification
- Demonstrate recent experience as a senior manager within the NHS managing patient safety
- Demonstrate sound knowledge of patient safety within the NHS
- Successful project management experience
- Excellent report writing skills together with interpretation of highly complex information
- Knowledge and experience of learning and assurance mechanisms and reporting
- Experience of delivering training and engagement of staff on patient safety issues
Analytical and JudgementEssential
- Able to plan and organise a broad range of highly complex activities and support service improvement across the Trust
- Ability to work autonomously and on own initiative
- Able to build effective contacts and networks
- Ability to complete work within timescales/deadlines
- Proven ability to obtain and consistently achieve results and targets
- Proven ability to lead improvement activity through staff participation
- Strong advocate of patient safety culture
- Ability to influence, negotiate and deliver change/results through others across the Trust
- Ability to distil highly complex data to useful management information
- Make independent decisions on highly complex project issues where there maybe more than one course of action
- Interpret national guidance and translate into practice
- Computer literate
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Ability to work under pressure and deal with distressing information linked to patient safety
- Strong motivation to improve performance
- Ability to travel
Kettering General Hospital NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Kettering General Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.