An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced accountant looking to enhance their career and join HCT's senior and wider finance team.
The post holder will support the Head of Financial Control to ensure that all reporting is completed in an accurate and timely manner. The post works across the financial services discipline, leading on the internal and external reporting of the Trust's financial position.
HCT has a history of strong financial control and performance, having always broken even or made a surplus in its 10 years. The finance team are looking to enhance how it operates, working smarter, more efficiently and effectively, minimising manual tasks. We are committed to embedding automation in the way we do things, so that we can improve our reporting times and concentrate on strengthening our roles to support our operational service managers in the services they deliver, to ultimately improve patient care.
The post holder will gain a variety of experience and have the opportunity to influence change and strengthen financial control at a leading community provider within the NHS.
HCT is a people focused organisation within the finance team we support each other in the development of the team with the objective of delivering a 'right first time' service, and we consider it important to strengthen our relationships with our colleagues across the Trust who we are working with. We are committed to the Trust's values of being Innovative, Caring and Agile.Main duties of the job
To support the Head of Financial Control in ensuring internal financial reporting is accurate and timely and that risks are clearly communicated to the Director and Deputy Director of Finance, Systems and Estates. This department manages Capital, Income, Costing and Cash Management and liaison with the Trust's outsourcing provider for General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Systems and Treasury functions.
The post-holder will assist in the production of the Trust's Annual Accounts and other statutory returns, as well as supporting in ensuring monthly trust wide reporting is completed on a timely and accurate basis and fulfilling NHS guidance and legal requirements.
They must ensure Trust policies such as standing financial instructions, health & safety and human resource procedures are being adhered to, and will identify good working practices within the financial accounts department.
They will represent the Trust values and demonstrate these both within the finance team and when representing the finance team. The individual will also contribute to the finance team culture, working to the right first-time methodology and have a proactive approach to problem solving.About us
In return, we can offer you:
- 5% on top of basic salary high cost allowance supplement (subject to a minimum and a maximum payment pro rata)
- 27 days holiday rising to 33 days (depending on NHS Trust service) plus bank holidays (pro rata where applicable)
- One of the UK's best pension schemes
- Special Leave for family and personal reasons
- NHS Car Lease Scheme
- Eye Care Vouchers
- Employee Assistance Programme
- NHS Discounts
We welcome diversity in our workforce and are interested in applicants from all backgrounds and agesJob descriptionJob responsibilities
- Ensure that all control account reconciliations are prepared in a timely manner, including those provided by the outsourced provider and undertake monthly reviews ensuring that entries on the control accounts are being cleared, providing support as required.
- To work closely and support the Head of Financial Control in the performance monitoring of the outsourced service providers in relation to financial services, procurement and payoll. Attend service review meetings to discuss service issues and resolution of these. Ensure appropriate internal controls over financial reporting activites are designed and implemented and that they are operating effectively.
- Work alongside the Head of Financial Control in the preparation of the monthly NHSE return and reports for the People, Performance and Finance Committee, Audit Committee and Trust Board as required.
- Assist in the lead and co-ordination of the production if the Trusts Annual Report and Accounts, in accordance with statutory guidance and reporting deadlines to ensure that the organisation fully meets its financial reporting obligations.
- Lead in the production of the Trust annual and monthly cash flow forecasting for review by the Head of Financial Control.
- Maintain and monitor departmental timetables to ensure that both internal and external reporting targets are met.
- Support the Financial and Systems Accountant in the completion of the quarterly agreement of balances exercises.
- Co-ordinate responses to Freedom of Information requests for presentation to Head of Financial Control for review.
- Prepare and upload transparency reports to Trusts website.
- Working closely with internal and external auditors to resolve relevant queries in a timely manner.
Word versions of documents are available if needed to allow for any adaptations to be made i.e. font, colour, background, convert to Read Aloud.Person SpecificationQualifications and TrainingEssential
- CCAB qualified accountant, with strong post qualification experience or significant experience in a similar role.
- Significant additional experience operating at a senior level within a Finance department
- Evidence of CPD
Experience and KnowledgeEssential
- Understanding of: Technical Accounting
- Understanding of Trust Financial Regime
- Understanding of Governance and Internal Controls
- Detailed knowledge of NHS policies, financial systems and accounting standards to meet and improve services
- Experience of designing, implementing and maintaining information systems
- Presenting information and report writing
- Good organisational skills. Ability to plan and organise a range of activities or programmes. Formulates plans to support strategic objectives.
- Good IT skills, particularly Microsoft Excel
- Demonstrates an understanding of the Trust policies related to Equality and Diversity
Skills and AbilitiesEssential
- Knowledge of NHSI Returns and NHS Final Accounts
- Accounts Reporting.
- Interpersonal Skills
- Negotiating skills
- Excellent IT skills, including use of spreadsheets and word
- Understanding of change management skills
- Good attendance record
- Self-motivated and can work without supervision
- Takes initiative and is proactive. Demonstrate enthusiasm, a proactive approach and problem-solving experience.
- Capable of delivering quality work to timescales.
- To be flexible to the demands the service, managing an unpredictable work pattern with interruptions to respond to short deadlines.
- Understanding of HR policies and procedures
- Understanding of commissioning and contracting in the NHS
- Experience of NHS internal monthly and annual reporting
- Experience of planning, design and developing information systems that support legislation, policies and procedures.
- Reliable and responsible
- Flexible and adaptable
- Results and objectives orientated
- Receptive to ideas/embrace change Team player
- Take account of the input, skills and knowledge of others
- Committed to developing others
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Eligible to live and work in the UK
- Willingness to uphold the Trust's values
- Hold a full, valid, UK driving licence and have access to a car to use for business purposes (unless you have a disability as defined by the Equality Act 2010)
Hertfordshire Community NHS TrustAddress
Unit 1a 14 Tewin Road
Welwyn Garden City
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.